Recommended sports/touring tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5RTO

Reaction score
Morning all,
Looking for recommendations for sports/touring tyres for S1000RR sport. Have been looking at the Dunlop SportSmart 2 Max and the Michelin Road 4's. May take her on a couple of track days. Might that is lol.
Cheers.
Richard.

I disagree.

I've toured probably ~5k kms in the Alps on RC2s (not on S1KK, but on superduke 1290). They are perfect touring tires and if you run OEM pressures, they do last long.

Don't have anything against Rosso 3, as I've never tried it.
RC2's are not touring tyres.

Rosso 3's are touring and very good.

- Alex

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I would go even further to say you can easily tour on Supercorsa BSB or SP (I did that too). They work well in the rain too. The only problem they don't last so long on road, probably 2-3k kms if you hard on a throttle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Morning all,
Looking for recommendations for sports/touring tyres for S1000RR sport. Have been looking at the Dunlop SportSmart 2 Max and the Michelin Road 4's. May take her on a couple of track days. Might that is lol.
Cheers.
Richard.

Hi Richard, both of those tyres would do the job and there's various other tyres that'll fit the bil for all year round weather use, last for decent miles and do the odd track day. I had M7RR's on my gen3, the pic below shows the the rear at 1 hour old at Donington Park (got a puncture so had to buy a new one at the track), the same tyre went on to do a further 4k road miles and was still legal when I sold the bike. Unless you're going to do regular track days I'd steer away from more track oriented tyres as you'll wear them out in a couple of thousand miles on the road and get little or no benefit from the additional dry weather track grip they offer
M7RR.jpg

Attachments

• M7RR.jpg
    M7RR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Sorry about the dodgy pic uploading btw, happened a couple of times now, I'll have to get onto admin to so see what's up!

RC2's are not touring tyres.

Rosso 3's are touring and very good.

- Alex

Agreed, though I?d class Rosso 3?s et al. as sport tyres not touring. A pure sport-touring tyre would be something like a Metzeller RoadTech 01 or the Pirelli Angel GT.

The Metzeller M7RR is a comparable alternative to the Rosso 3?s and something you might also like to consider Richard.

The RC2?s are a pitched as a middle ground between the Rosso 3?s and SuperCorsa SP?s. For dry track-day use you?re still better off with a SuperCorsa SP or Metzeller RaceTech RR K3, and for pure all-round road use you?d be better with the Rosso 3?s/M7RR?s.

As @MacRR says there is no benefit to running track day tyres for purely, or almost exclusively road use as you sacrifice longevity and wet weather performance for hot tyre temperature dry weather grip that will never be utilised on the the road

Back