Potential/Probable BMW Newbie

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaRRk

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Currently in the market for an S1000RR, I?ve had a quick flick through a few of the introductory posts and most people seem to be buying 2015+ versions. Due to my budget I would be looking at 2010 models which I know aren?t as electronically updated as the newer models. I?m going to view a bike tomorrow but the mileage is 19k should I be concerned about that? The bike visually is in impeccable shape but the mileage concerns me slightly as I?ve never bought a bike with such high mileage. Is there anything I need to be particularly looking for when I go to look at one?

Anywho I thought I?d take a look around for some tips and handy advice, I?m fairly confident I?ll be the owner of an s1000 within a months time.

Currently based in Cambridgeshire and have owned a GSXR 600, Ducati 1098 and hypermotard. Looking forward for a change with BMW and the S1000RR is a bike I?ve always wanted so thought this is the time.

Well that?s enough from me I look forward to your opinions and seeing you around!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome, at 18k a major service with valve check is due, make sure thats complete.

They are all good bikes, by 19k most niggles will have aired themselves.

- Alex

Welcome to the forum Mark!

As Alex says, make sure the valve clearance service has been completed and that the bike has the full manufacturer service history.
If you purchase through a BMW Motorrad dealership than the bike will have the BMW approved used warranty coverage to help put your mind at ease.

My RR is currently at 42 K miles and it?s been very reliable, so I wouldn?t be too concerned with putting miles on the bike. That being said it is inevitable that running costs generally increase with mileage as more consumables require changing.

All Generation RR?s are fantastic bikes, so if you do purchase one in the near future I have every confidence you?ll be thrilled with your decision [emoji4]

Enjoy the forum!

Oli

Welcome, As stated the 2015+ are the most popular only due to electronics and a small visual upgrade.
The Gen 1's are I believe the most HP? But the 2015+ have the most smoothest power and best boost @ mid range

If your going to take out the DDC there is no need for a 15+

Welcome anyways :D

Hi mark, welcome to the forum.

on the question of mileage if the bike has a full BMWSH that is correct then you should not expect to have any issues. Its weird how fair mileage on a bike puts people off. If anything, a bike not used much will encounter more issues than a bike that gets a regular run out. I have a really old k75 that has nearly 90k miles on it and it runs sweet as a nut. My hp4 has 15k miles on it (currently FS) and again, runs perfectly. Imo its all about correct servicing and maintenance.

Last edited:
Back