Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
This isn't going to be the thread you wanted it to be from the title! Sorry for any disappointment.

After Snetterton, my black paint work (nose) has a lot of bug splat residue marks, which you can see in the right light/angle.
I have cleaned with MucOff, clay bar'd, used MucOff Tar/Bug remover but some marks are just a PITA.

Short of getting someone to detail it with a rotary polisher, anyone got a better product for breaking down these and other marks?

Also, has anyone got a good waterless degreaser other than Isopropyl?

You could try an instant detailer such as that from Maguiers. I have a matt finish so can't use anything with wax or cutting agents in, this does the trick nicely.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Vulcanet wipes Alex or put a layer of swarfega over the crappy area and allow 5 mins to works and then just rub your fingers over the area to dislodge any wee bits and wash off.

Never ever do this in direct sunlight or let it dry on the bike.

She can have a hot shower at mine on Friday, I have a commercial hot pressure washer for washing bikes and cars.

JimmyMac

If you mean the Quik Detailer then that's what i used with the Clay bar.

Cheers JM, Would be good to give her a proper hosing down, seem to be unable to get the bodywork looking good right now, she's let herself go since moving in.

My bike is totally clean after collecting the 50% of Norfolk insects that didn't hit Alex's bike. Normally what I do to get things off completely is
1. Soak some cloths (sometimes just use bog roll...) in hot water and drape them over the affected areas of the bike, to soften things up (I do this with my visor too if I have to)
2. Spray with bike liberally with sDoc and hose off after about 10-15 mins
3. Get any troublesome bits with Muc Off bike polish

However, the front of the bike was so covered after Snett that I just did 2 and spent a lot of time on 3. It took a while, but looks fine now. Spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the leathers too... boring but necessary

My bike is totally clean after collecting the 50% of Norfolk insects that didn't hit Alex's bike. Normally what I do to get things off completely is
1. Soak some cloths (sometimes just use bog roll...) in hot water and drape them over the affected areas of the bike, to soften things up (I do this with my visor too if I have to)
2. Spray with bike liberally with sDoc and hose off after about 10-15 mins
3. Get any troublesome bits with Muc Off bike polish

However, the front of the bike was so covered after Snett that I just did 2 and spent a lot of time on 3. It took a while, but looks fine now. Spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the leathers too... boring but necessary
All good steps, I have no power or running water. I guess I can take a hot bucket/cloth down to it whilst its in the underground carpark.

- Alex

I used to have a garage with no power and I had a battery powered 17l 'power' washer which I think I got from chain reaction, cycling shop. It was very useful but incredibly fragile around the water pump valve. Mobiwasher was the product, I think.

All good steps, I have no power or running water. I guess I can take a hot bucket/cloth down to it whilst its in the underground carpark.

- Alex

Hi Alex, I have used MR.Sheen Multi Surface Polish (original) found in your local supermarket for ?1. It works wonders, spray it on and leave it for 10 minutes then lightly wipe with soft cloth. Buf when all the bugs have been removed.

Alex, I'm leaving the Norfolk bugs as protection from the 'midge film' we will be collecting next weekend.

'Midge film' is a bit like venturesheild but works best on black or grey bikes with a matt finish.
🙂

...I have cleaned with MucOff, clay bar'd, used MucOff Tar/Bug remover but some marks are just a PITA...
Hey Alex. Your bike sounds like my girlfriend from years ago. When it was bath-time, no matter how much I rubbed, soaped and splashed, everything just got dirtier and dirtier...

Once you've cleaned it try these types of coating - best thing for helping keep the paint in good nick. Not so good if you have gel sitckers but perfect for most painted, carbon or metal surfaces. They seem expensive but last ages and can be layered up. Check YouTube as some need a pressure washer to activate and some you use like a polish.

I've been using them for the last couple of months on my car and bikes and they're awesome. I'm a bit of a cleaning freak so they come into their own when washing the crud off the bike.

http://carboncollective.com/product/platinum-paint/

http://carboncollective.com/product/hybrid-coating/

Also Autoglym tar remover is really good for removing stubborn bug stains. Very brutal cleaner though so only use it to clear off stubborn stuff the clay can't get.

Ceramic coating is the way forward for easy cleaning and maintenance of the ‘just washed’ effect. I have had a car done and it is really good, cleaning is easy and the finish is as good if not better than a wax/polish. It lasts a couple of years so depending how long you keep the bike will determine value for money.

Some of the products that I work my way through to put her back to her best! [emoji85][emoji87]
5cbf9ac79f4d185e2c3b8a12ae362d1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back