Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

  1. #1
    Forum Moderator alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London and Norfolk
    Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey
    Posts
    5,886
    Thanked: 1622

    Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    This isn't going to be the thread you wanted it to be from the title! Sorry for any disappointment.

    After Snetterton, my black paint work (nose) has a lot of bug splat residue marks, which you can see in the right light/angle.
    I have cleaned with MucOff, clay bar'd, used MucOff Tar/Bug remover but some marks are just a PITA.

    Short of getting someone to detail it with a rotary polisher, anyone got a better product for breaking down these and other marks?

    Also, has anyone got a good waterless degreaser other than Isopropyl?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Standard Member triplejimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 6

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    You could try an instant detailer such as that from Maguiers. I have a matt finish so can't use anything with wax or cutting agents in, this does the trick nicely.

    Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    LIFETIME FORUM MEMBER JimmyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Windygates, Fife
    Riding
    HP4 Carbon Pink
    Posts
    2,916
    Thanked: 1417

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    Vulcanet wipes Alex or put a layer of swarfega over the crappy area and allow 5 mins to works and then just rub your fingers over the area to dislodge any wee bits and wash off.

    Never ever do this in direct sunlight or let it dry on the bike.

    She can have a hot shower at mine on Friday, I have a commercial hot pressure washer for washing bikes and cars.

    JimmyMac

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:

    Oli

  6. #4
    Forum Moderator alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London and Norfolk
    Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey
    Posts
    5,886
    Thanked: 1622

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    If you mean the Quik Detailer then that's what i used with the Clay bar.

    Cheers JM, Would be good to give her a proper hosing down, seem to be unable to get the bodywork looking good right now, she's let herself go since moving in.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER RickS1K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    305
    Thanked: 69

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    My bike is totally clean after collecting the 50% of Norfolk insects that didn't hit Alex's bike. Normally what I do to get things off completely is
    1. Soak some cloths (sometimes just use bog roll...) in hot water and drape them over the affected areas of the bike, to soften things up (I do this with my visor too if I have to)
    2. Spray with bike liberally with sDoc and hose off after about 10-15 mins
    3. Get any troublesome bits with Muc Off bike polish

    However, the front of the bike was so covered after Snett that I just did 2 and spent a lot of time on 3. It took a while, but looks fine now. Spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the leathers too... boring but necessary

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to RickS1K For This Useful Post:

    Oli

  10. #6
    Forum Admin soofsayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    York
    Riding
    HP4 Carbon Black
    Posts
    5,241
    Thanked: 1684

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    This isn't going to be the thread you wanted it to be from the title! Sorry for any disappointment.
    I will move along quietly.....

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Forum Moderator alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London and Norfolk
    Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey
    Posts
    5,886
    Thanked: 1622

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    Quote Originally Posted by RickS1K View Post
    My bike is totally clean after collecting the 50% of Norfolk insects that didn't hit Alex's bike. Normally what I do to get things off completely is
    1. Soak some cloths (sometimes just use bog roll...) in hot water and drape them over the affected areas of the bike, to soften things up (I do this with my visor too if I have to)
    2. Spray with bike liberally with sDoc and hose off after about 10-15 mins
    3. Get any troublesome bits with Muc Off bike polish

    However, the front of the bike was so covered after Snett that I just did 2 and spent a lot of time on 3. It took a while, but looks fine now. Spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the leathers too... boring but necessary
    All good steps, I have no power or running water. I guess I can take a hot bucket/cloth down to it whilst its in the underground carpark.

    - Alex

  13. #8
    Forum Moderator RyS1000RR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,836
    Thanked: 984

    Vulcanet Wipes

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
    Vulcanet wipes...
    +1. Highly recommended although a tad expensive.

  14. #9
    2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER RickS1K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    305
    Thanked: 69

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    I used to have a garage with no power and I had a battery powered 17l 'power' washer which I think I got from chain reaction, cycling shop. It was very useful but incredibly fragile around the water pump valve. Mobiwasher was the product, I think.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickS1K For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Riding
    KTM Superduke GT
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanked: 244

    Re: Wiping her face after a good thrashing....

    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    All good steps, I have no power or running water. I guess I can take a hot bucket/cloth down to it whilst its in the underground carpark.

    - Alex
    Hi Alex, I have used MR.Sheen Multi Surface Polish (original) found in your local supermarket for 1. It works wonders, spray it on and leave it for 10 minutes then lightly wipe with soft cloth. Buf when all the bugs have been removed.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •