Slick vs Race mode

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddogsween

Reaction score
Probably been done to death, so apologies.... but hey good to communicate [emoji23]....
Can you tell much between slick and race on the road? I mean mine is mental quick in race.... but just curious to the pros vs cons.... I?m guessing it?s plug in and go?

Cheers M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick & Race Mode

Read pp. 145-150 of the Owner?s Manual for a full description of the differences between each riding mode. To activate Slick and User modes you will need to have the coding plug inserted.

Slick would make the suspension very hard for the road.

Why not stick the plug in, to enable USER mode.

Then you can have
Slick Engine,
Sport DDC, ABS, DTC.

Should be the most aggressive engine with a nice ride and safety net.

- Alex

+1 on User Mode, it simply allows you to customise the individual parameters rather than having to stick with one of the default options.

If you want to feel less restraint, you might also like to try the DTC in slick as this essentially deactivates the wheelie control (less hold back).

Engine and DTC in slick are rather different to Race mode, in a fun way lol [emoji16]

+1 on User Mode, it simply allows you to customise the individual parameters rather than having to stick with one of the default options.

If you want to feel less restraint, you might also like to try the DTC in slick as this essentially deactivates the wheelie control (less hold back).

Engine and DTC in slick are rather different to Race mode, in a fun way lol [emoji16]
My understanding is that on the pre17 bikes this deactivates the cornering ABS?
Is this correct?

My understanding is that on the pre17 bikes this deactivates the cornering ABS?
Is this correct?

To my knowledge on bikes equipped with ABS Pro the ?cornering? ABS is active in Rain and Sport modes but deactivated in Race and Slick.

One feature I believe I?m correct on, but have heard to the contrary, is that when in User Mode the cornering ABS is still active when in the Rain or Sport ABS sub-settings.

I?m afraid I can?t confirm this, so please don?t go jamming on the brakes in a corner to experiment lol

ABS Pro

Correct. ABS Pro is only designed for road use and is deactivated in RACE and SLICK modes.

Great info guys......thanks.....I will have a play around...... need to learn the bike settings as I?ve not really read up much...... I mean didn?t even know I had an alarm till I just read my invoice....🤪[emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great info guys......thanks.....I will have a play around...... need to learn the bike settings as I?ve not really read up much...... I mean didn?t even know I had an alarm till I just read my invoice....🤪[emoji38]

Are you coming on Phil?s rideout on the 10th June?
If so, I?ll happily give you a hand changing settings etc

Yeah mate, weather permitting......and thanks would be helpful

Re: ABS Pro

Correct. ABS Pro is only designed for road use and is deactivated in RACE and SLICK modes.

I was told it works in Rain, Sport and Race. It's only deactivated on User and Slick...

https://futuretravel.today/demystifying-abs-pro-for-bmws-s1000-rr-18ba5e70670c

ABS Pro is available in 2015, 2016 and 2017 Models for RAIN, SPORT and RACE modes. HP4 and earlier than model year 2015 owners are limited to RAIN and SPORT modes ? probably due to limits of older Bosch hardware used on those bikes.
ABS Pro is not supported in SLICK mode
ABS Pro is available in USER mode if ABS modes (RAIN, SPORT or RACE are used) IMPORTANT: Only for 2017 models. I checked the manual of 2015 models and they explicitly state ?The SLICK and USER riding modes are not supported by the ABS Pro function?

ABS pro should be available in user mode. Here is a tech?d up Bike but not all tech is allowed at all times. Sorry BMW. I?ve just given you over ?16k for all the toys when I want to play so why won?t you let me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2017 does have a different and more powerful ECU. So more ability with ABS Pro would be expected.

- Alex

Yeah, what I was meaning was the '15/16 bikes get ABS-Pro in Race mode also, not just Rain and Sport.

gen 2 like mine only has.

Rain (pointless)
Sport (also pointless)
Race (now we're talking 99% perfect for me, but bit too harsh anti-wheelie in 1st / 2nd gear)
Slick (constantly worried about surprise wheelies, quickly cycle back to Race again..phew)

yep mines in slick unless it's really horrible wet (mountain tracks etc) then rain works fine

I’m running a small team this year with a young racer who has just moved up to 1000s with hopes of riding a few selected rounds of bemsee clubman this year on Martin jessops ex superstock bike and my 2017 rr, he just can’t see how slick mode helps him at the moment with the decreased engine braking so has stuck with race mode whilst he gets used to it, any ideas? He was posting 1.57 at snetterton though at a very busy trackday. The previous team had also disengaged anti wheelie as well so tyre wear at the front is at a minimum.........

I just ride in Slick mostly and sometimes go to USER with Oli's settings he made for me :D

I just ride in Slick mostly and sometimes go to USER with Oli's settings he made for me :D

The only variable between both settings will be the ABS, as you?re running the Ohlins kit.
So basically Super Moto skids in Slick when the tyres are knackered and User for everything else lol [emoji41][emoji6]

Back