Chain lube

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
What we all using?

I?ve been away from bikes for 3yrs and can?t really remember what chain lube I used before but bought some wd40 chain lube and it?s gash, it?s that white stuff that resembles a Bukkake party once applied, I don?t like it.

I've went and purchased some Motul C2 chain lube which is clear as far as I?m aware (yet to use) but I was looking at some Silkolene chain lube and was torn between the 427 variations, what a farce. Silkolene chain lube, pro chain lube and sone other types that looked the same but had slight differences apparently, semi synthetic, fully synthetic etc etc blaaablaaaa.

Which one of the Silkolene chain lubricants is clear? So I can maybe try them the next time.

Last edited:
I use Motul Factory Line and Wurth Dry Lube, both are clear.

Wurth forum discounts available.
Motul (Opie Oils) discount available.

Can't comment on Silkolene.

In the drier months I use Wurth Dry chain lube as it doesn?t fling and doesn?t form a grinding paste.
However, during the wetter months I use Putoline ceramic chain wax, as I find it stays on better in adverse weather.

For chain cleaning I use paraffin prior to washing the bike.

I think I?ll get Wurth next time round, in fact looking at them online I think that might be what I used before, the new cans look different though but some pics which are obviously the old cans are the same as what I used before.

I had one on a bike years ago, not a massive fan of them. I actually removed it after awhile and went back to normal.
Yes I know what you mean, can be tricky to setup right. This is an electronic one, single feed to the chain, a big enough reservoir for maybe 1k miles. Easily adjustable according to wet/dry weather, keep the chain clean, and seems to avoid endless chain adjusting so something must be going ok. Lots of fling though, but it doesn't bother me. Very good for touring, no need to take a can with you. I just turn it off for trackdays, and then give it a good soak on the way home by adjusting it at the handlebar mounted controller. I would definitely have one again, dealer fitted.

... I would definitely have one again, dealer fitted.
That's interesting Zed. What model do you have and what's your cleaning regime (ie. what do you use to clean and how often)?
-
I'm gonna get a little can of wurth on the NC500 as the 500ml is a big old lump.

That's interesting Zed. What model do you have and what's your cleaning regime (ie. what do you use to clean and how often)?
-
I'm gonna get a little can of wurth on the NC500 as the 500ml is a big old lump.
It's a 2016, I've never cleaned my chain, ever! The constant flow seems to keep it happy. The plates get a bit grubby, but the rollers are mint. I'm sure the constant flow cuts down on wear, servicing, and stress when trying to just enjoy the bike.

One question:
Is really necessary to lube the chain? Because if they are X-Ring for example, the lube is into the ring from factory, and new luber will not go into the rings, only outside.

Is necessary to put some new lube or only to clean it?

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

Chain Lube

Yes, it is absolutely necessary! You should be lubricating the chain fairly frequently and cleaning it whenever needed. It really doesn?t take that long so you?ve got no excuse not to.

I agree with Ryan mate... buy one of these..

https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-moto...HTIR4xm4shojc5EHNam_loHvDU837FzIaAgXsEALw_wcB

I pop mine up on a paddock stand, fire bike up in 1st gear at idle and apply the U shaped end at the rear sprocket...then apply Wurth chain lube.. takes 2 minutes and my chain is immaculate and well lubed..

EDIT: no need to pay any more than 3 to 5 quid for one of these. I've seen them advertised for 3 to 4 times this for exact same product.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back