Nooob Hello

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbanen

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Gen2 upwards S1000RR S with DTC. I have viewed quite a few but not found the ideal one yet - also had a few that said they had certain options but didn't! I did think i'd have found one much quicker but maybe I'm being picker.

Are there any pointers on how to check the spec of the bike? Or any general tips when buying?

Welcome to the forum!

If possible, I would recommend purchasing a Gen 3 RR from an official BMW Motorrad dealer, as not only will you have a more refined and technically superior bike, but you?ll also have the peace of mind knowing you the BMW approved used warranty.

Best of luck with your ideal RR search, regardless of what Gen you get you?ll end up with an amazing bike and I?m sure you?ll be extremely happy with your decision [emoji4]

Enjoy the forum [emoji4]

Oli

There is a BMW specification checked online, just needs the numberplate I think. Someone with search powers will supply it.

You're looking for Sport models. The options on Gen2 are pretty limited, alarm and such. Gen3's started off with a Performance and a Dynamic pack I think, but from 17 on it's just one option pack. The top spec machines have Forged Rim's and Cruise Control...the alarm isn't massively helpful as most insurers don't recognise it.

What are the main differences between the Gen1, 2 and 3?

Ive seen a very nice gen1 but ive been told to go for the gen3 so ive read the reviews etc but just wondered what owners could tell me?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What are the main differences between the Gen1, 2 and 3?

Ive seen a very nice gen1 but ive been told to go for the gen3 so ive read the reviews etc but just wondered what owners could tell me?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Gen 3 is a considerable update compared to the Gen 1/2 bikes.
In addition to a new frame, engine durability updates, greater midrange at the expense of some top end. You also get semi-active suspension if you choose a DDC equipped bike. You get an auto-blipper in addition to cruise control and heated grips.

You also get access to a ?User Mode? which allows you to customise throttle response, ABS, DTC, wheelie control (indirectly) and suspension response independently.

One feature I really love about the Gen 3 bikes is the fully ride-by-wire throttle. It?s the best in the business, no free play, light and smooth action, perfect (albeit a tad long in the throw).

If you?re interested in a Gen 3, make sure it?s a sport model with the associated electronic packs. Furthermore, I?d recommend looking for an example with the HP forged wheels, they?re an excellent upgrade.

If possible, I would recommend a Gen 3, and I suspect the vast majority will steer you in the same direction.
That being said, if a Gen 3 is not an option, have no fear, but I would recommend a Gen 2 in that circumstance

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - I did the usual thing I do and went the opposite way!!! But there's reason for my madness, I've never had a bike of this calibre (ABS/DTC/Blipper etc) so I went for a modified Gen 1. Thinking when I've had it for a while i'll trade it for a Gen 3 to see the difference. Although this one is highly modified with a powercommander/blipper and lots of lightweight bits so it's not quite as basic as a stock Gen 1.

Thanks for the advice - I did the usual thing I do and went the opposite way!!! But there's reason for my madness, I've never had a bike of this calibre (ABS/DTC/Blipper etc) so I went for a modified Gen 1. Thinking when I've had it for a while i'll trade it for a Gen 3 to see the difference. Although this one is highly modified with a powercommander/blipper and lots of lightweight bits so it's not quite as basic as a stock Gen 1.

For what its worth I think an autoblipper is a brilliant invention and have had one on a gen3, GSA and my current GSXR, I wouldn't buy a bike without one now and you can upgrade many models including the gen1 with a high quality IRC blipper.
DDC suspension is a less clear choice, when I had my gen3 I was an advocate for it as it's bump management is brilliant and noticably better than the gen2 I had even though it lacked a little 'feel' at the front in comparison. I've now moved back to a passive Showa set up on my Suzuki and to be honest I much prefer it v DDC as, for me, it provides superior, confidence inspiring feel at the front with nearly as good compliancy over the bumps.
So I wouldn't be too hasty in trading in that gen1 for a gen3, no question the gen3 is a more developed and 'better' overall bike but I'd suggest carefully considering what really matters to you before deciding on which route to go down - of course you could always chuck 2 grands worth of K-Tech suspension at a gen3 and have your cake and eat it!

Back