What caused this

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMORTAL_Indian

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I Was at Snetterton all day yesterday and after the final session (fast group) with the instructor (Alex) leading the way, the rear tyre has scared along both edges.... I was told I was not going fast enough ([emoji849]).

However has anyone seen this on Metzeler Roadtec 01?s?

e15555458f2c7f54c48dc23e5a312a10.jpg

The tyre pressure I was told to keep them at 30/30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Roadtec 01's are a touring / bad weather tyre.

I think they were left when the carcase deformed with too little pressure.

Looks to me like an abrasion mark, does it follow all the way round? Doesn’t seem too. Maybe something caught in the hugger? I can’t see it’s a low pressure deformation stress mark at all, esp running with 30psi, despite it being not ideal for a trackday tyre.

They are the same on both sides.

They aren't quite in a line that would suggest rubbing whilst rotating. The lines are angled.

- Alex

They are the same on both sides.

They aren't quite in a line that would suggest rubbing whilst rotating. The lines are angled.

- Alex
well this gets even weirder! If it’s both sides and all the way round, there’s clearly a problem. Still think it’s an abrasion issue, not the construction of the tyre at low pressure. I’d be checking the hugger very carefully. Is it a std hugger and tyre size? Any other non std parts around there?

I was running the same pressure all day... and only appeared in the last session... will post a video of the tyre and also check the hugger that is stock... in a bit.

I recon that throughout the day under Alex?s guidance your talent increased and stressed the tyre sidewall so much it started to collapse!

Last edited:
I recon that throughout the day under Alex?s guidance your talent increased and stressed the tyre sidewall so much it started to collapse!

Rofl, if only.

Ha haa

- Alex

This is a puzzler amit. I have never seen that before. The marks on both sides are weirdly similar which suggests its something with the tyre, but the pattern is not consistent which is what you would expect.

I agree with alex that 30psi is probably a bit soft if your pace was down, but the rest of the tyre looks fine so I dont think the pressures or tracktime have caused this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence [emoji22].

Only for you to point at the Apex whilst following you [emoji817]

Well you had missed it a few times I thought pointing at it was necessary lol

The laugh was at me being praised, I only ran the lines. RickS1k was the one for how to crank the bike over and corner like a mofo

- Alex

Last edited:
Well you had missed it a few times I thought pointing at it was necessary lol

The laugh was at me being praised, I only ran the lines. RickS1k was the one for how to crank the bike over and corner like a mofo

- Alex

Ha ha .... I was just having a laugh... no offence taken :).... really appreciate you showing me the lines . It was useful.

How was the bike transported to and from track?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agh ok. Ive had some strange marks from ratchets and wheel chocks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That?s the first thing that went through my mind too, was that it was caused by a ramp or some equivalent during transport

Going to say just a bit of tire spin when leaned over, its not a sports tire and you were trying to ride it like one.

How did it handle with them on track?

Tire wear looks like they will last forever.

I emailed the picture to Metzeler and I received an email back this morning. They said to return the tyre to a nominated tyre company and they will replace the tyre free of charge so they can investigate.....

Nice of them...

I emailed the picture to Metzeler and I received an email back this morning. They said to return the tyre to a nominated tyre company and they will replace the tyre free of charge so they can investigate.....

Nice of them...

Can?t argue with that as service can you.

Back