AC Schnitzer handlebar conversion

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Phil H

Hi,

First post, but been viewing for a while. I fitted just this week the AC Schnitzer handlbar conversion, and thought that i would share my first impressions as when i was deciding whether or not to fit them i couldn't find anything on any forum.

I understand that there will be hard-core sports bike types who would never consider such a thing, and would probably say that if you want bars 'up there' then just buy a bandit/fazer etc...each to there own!

At 5'7" i was always stretching a bit with the standard bars and somehow didn't feel that i had the leverage that i wanted in the tighter corners, and despite being only (!) 35 i would often get neck ache during or after a longish ride (200 miles).

Anyway, i ordered the kit and set to fitting it upon arrival. The instructions suggested that fitting should take about 3 hrs. I would say that it took double that, but if i fitted another i would be confident in achieving the 3 hr mark. There was nothing particularly complex about the job. I should probably point out that I had the benefit of a fairly comprehensive "teng tools" chest to go at, and you will need a pistol drill and some decent drill bits.

I can also confirm that bleeding the brakes (mine has ABS) is just the same as a conventional set-up, only it holds more fluid. A brake bleeding bottle with a check-valve is a useful tool for this task.

The difference is amazing, before you've even set off. I have a better view over cars and hedges because i'm sitting up a bit more, and the leverage that i was after is there in abundance, the bike just feels very flick-able now. Ducati hyper-motard...nah...try a BMW S1000RR Super-Moto!

I will wait for the naked S1000RR when it is launched by BMW. I'm all for naked sports bikes (I've had a Street Triple R, Speed Triple, Streetfighter S and a Tuono V4R APRC) but don't see the point in converting existing sports bikes.

Converting sports bikes with flat bars = blasphamous!!!!

im with you on this one if you want naked style bars then just buy a naked machine

As I said chaps, I didn't expect everyone to be over the moon with what i've done, I was mainly trying to offer an opinion of such a conversion for anyone else (if there is anyone else!) out there who may have been feeling the same as me.

By the way I haven't turned it into a naked, just a sports bike that i'm now more comfortable with.

When I bought the S1000RR the Tuono V4R hadn't been released or i would have taken a look at it.

...and i'm certainly not looking to start a forum fight on my first thread!

It's not a cheap conversion either is it?

What about bar clearance from the fairing? I'm sure it's a hoot but more upright bars is going to cause you more neck pain, not less (you big girl) ;)

Sorry, dont agree with what you have done, its daft imho.

However its your bike and you can do with it what you like.

Your right it's not cheap (at €699), but the quality is good and more than in line with the bike itself. Good point on the neck ache, maybe now i'll have neck ache from the wind blast rather than the angle that i was having to sustain.

Don't get me wrong, i've spent two years rinding the bike almost standard and the 'fit' has been the one concern for me and in the end i just thought i'd give it a go. For me it's no different to fitting adjustable rear-sets (which i assume wouldn't be roundly criticised) and like any other modification, we tend to carry them out in the hope that the bike will look, feel or maybe even be better as a result. This conversion would not do that for every one. but for me the bike instantly feels more fun. I'm sure that many of you would still get from a - b quicker than me with your standard bars, but so long as we're all happy and enjoying our riding.

...probably am a big girl though!

It's your money,your bike! But those bars are horrid lol and the price is ott IMHO.
But people don't like the bits on my bike lol
But it's good we all have different taste,but I think you should of stuck it out mate.

Hi my first post as well concerning the schnitzer handlebar conversion lol.
I'm with Phil H i converted mine after 3 weeks of ownership and its brilliant in fact the bike would be long gone if this had'nt been available.
I still like sports bikes just not the riding position so this was the perfect solution for me, sure not everyones cup of tea but no one whos ridden it has said they dont like it.
Honestly if you get a chance to try one give it a go.

I have the helibars on mine like fatbob this transforms this bike so much more comfortable,
Bahnstormer alton have just fitted some Schinitzer bars to a friend of mines new S1000
the bike does look superb with these bars on, but i've not seen him yet to ask how comfortable they are when riding should catch up soon with him and I will let you guys know
what he says. I will try and get some pics of the bike :) :) :)

Saw a R1 in France last year with similar conversion. Can understand why you did it. Choice of giving up S1000 for more upright bike or converting best bike on road to make it more user friendly.

What are the helibars, and what's the benifits over the standard bars, this is my first sports bike and I get terrible neck ache after about 100 miles although I am 5:11 , 15.7 stone and quite fit lol

just picked up a set (second hand) for mine, got gilles at the moment, but finding the older i'm getting, a little more upright wouldn't hurt.
anyone got the instructions in english? had a quick look on the schnitzer site and found them in german. as these are SH there are a few parts missing, which I may need to source, but any tips on fittings etc would be welcome
thanks

Back