Is my dealer trying to kill me.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Two years ago when I took my 16rr in for first service they thought it might be a good idea to leave the sump plug loose resulting in all the engine oil spewing over the rear wheel at 80mph.How I kept it up is still a mystery.Fast forward to yesterday currently running in my 18rr took the wife out for a treat in the sun on the way home peeled onto a dual carriageway into the outside lane and bang the bike went into limp mode taking me from 70 to 10 mph in seconds.Wacked the hazards on que the cars undertaking me to avoid a collision.Managed to get it to a safe place parked up and rang the emergency breakdown.After 5 minutes under there advise I started it up again and seemed to have full throttle as I was only 3 miles from home I took my time and got it back.They sent a technician out who plugged into the computer and found the fault it was a throttle sensor plug that was loose as soon as he touched it it came apart.Now those plugs fitted correctly do not come apart so my question is would you give them an ear bashing or not.Personally speaking I?m spitting feathers because that could of affected my wife and me in a bad way.My bike is booked in for its first service in two weeks but my confidence in this place has been shot to bits.Pidcocks at long Eaton by the way.

Sorry to hear about this masho.

The sump plug has happened before, not to me, but to a bike I was following once, different dealer. Basic oversight which is potentially lethal.

Throttle sensor plug I dont know but I would be putting your concerns to the dealership as it clearly is not acceptable. Its a tricky one, someone has fucked up, but what would make it right for you? Compo? I would be looking elsewhere for servicing if that was my experience with the local dealership.

If you dont get a satisfactory outcome then you can raise it with bmw uk.

I was unhappy with the service I got from the BMW dealer I was using including having a loose sump plug which thankfully got spotted dripping before it dropped its contents. As a result I swapped to Pidcocks who I found much better! I think you should tell them that you've lost confidence after these incidents and ask what they can do to turn that around. Could the sensor issue be a problem from the factory though? Pleased you were both ok btw, not a nice experience...

Not dissimilar to my issue last week Masho... Soofs got the right idea mate...state your case subtley but firmly. I kept my head and my problem was sorted out..new tyres FOC bike, delivered back etc etc.

No point in going mental even though it's a bit shambolic. We don't have much in the way of choice up here re servicing etc so I guess that was in the back of my mind tho...might be different down where you are.

Anyhow mate long as your safe that's the main thing..

S

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I can't think why they would touch a TPS at a service, unless they suspected a fault.

So as mentioned it could have been badly seated a long time.

My Gen2's electrical issue where it would shut down started a few miles after a service. To this day I wonder if the dropped or pinched something but in all honesty I think it was coincidental timing...

- Alex

Sorry to hear this. To be honest there would be no reason for us (retailers) to touch the loom around the throttle or anywhere to be honest at servicing. So I would suspect the plug was not fitted correctly at the factory when it was built.
BMW don't really do Friday afternoon bikes as it were, so I would say it's just bad luck that it wasn't correct. But I fully appreciate it could have had serious consequences.
Regarding the sump plug, yeah I think you'd have every right to be upset about that. I know I would.

In regards to making a complaint, a calm but firm and reasonable request is the best way to go, with BMW or the dealer. If you go in kicking and screaming threatening everything they will go on the defensive I would imagine. The absolute number one this NOT to do is threaten to go to the press or similar. I've seen BMW retract all offers of any good will or similar AND ban a customer from all BMW retailers for this. His chassis number to this day is flagged (I've just checked it).

Back