Smoke coming out the brakes

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laj-Rai

Reaction score
Hi guys.. I just got my bike shipped back from the Almeria track ydai.. So ain't rode around 12 days or so..
Took it for a nice country blast this morning..
Came back home and seen my back brakes smoking.. It looks like I have enough brake pads left but not sure what else it could be.. All garages are closed till Tuesday now to find out what's wrong..

It felt like the back brake was not working at 1 point and it also stalled once or twice.. but I have put it on a stand to freely move the wheel and it's moving fine.

So gutted I will be missing out on riding today and 2mrw in this lovely weather..

399d917cb38fc46046d00f63e792e0fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When you are rotating the wheel on the stand and try the brake does it bite and then release as you would expect?

When you are rotating the wheel on the stand and try the brake does it bite and then release as you would expect?
Nope it does not seem to be doing anything.. the wheel carries on moving as normal.. which is really weird mate

I had some thing like this when I changed rearsets, the rear wheel was fine till I rode it. All I did was back off rear brake at the rear sets and it was fine.

Nope it does not seem to be doing anything.. the wheel carries on moving as normal.. which is really weird mate

So no rear brake movement when you use it?

Have you checked the basics like brake fluid level on the rear?

I agree with dannyta it is also worth checking the position of the rear brake on the rearset lever.

The smoking brake comment has me stumped though.

Can you post a picture looking down into the brake caliper / disc so we can see the pads?

It reads like the back brake caliper is binding, but take a good look at the whole system including the front! They are linked, if your front is fked after Almeria, your back brake may well be struggling to do its job. I've had issues with the front brakes before and 'the system' has leant on the rear resulting in a smokey front and rear. If you have cooked the rear disc, you'll need a replacement.
But, how was Almeria? Pretty cool eh? What a track and how easy is that?

I had some thing like this when I changed rearsets, the rear wheel was fine till I rode it. All I did was back off rear brake at the rear sets and it was fine.
Had the same with the new one a few weeks ago. It was free moving when cold but when it warmed up it started binding . You could of lit a ciggie of the disc after a 20 mile ride. I backed off the brake lever and all was good again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So no rear brake movement when you use it?

Have you checked the basics like brake fluid level on the rear?

I agree with dannyta it is also worth checking the position of the rear brake on the rearset lever.

The smoking brake comment has me stumped though.

Can you post a picture looking down into the brake caliper / disc so we can see the pads?
It's actually back to normal now while pressing the brake pedal.. maybe it's cooled down?
I still ain't risked taking it for a ride though..
N Yepp have Checked the basics fluid level..
Here's a pic of the brake pads
6d0ba70bed7d32a7ab43911e656d9869.jpg
4e809d6bc1939976ae2dc0902ee112b4.jpg

It reads like the back brake caliper is binding, but take a good look at the whole system including the front! They are linked, if your front is fked after Almeria, your back brake may well be struggling to do its job. I've had issues with the front brakes before and 'the system' has leant on the rear resulting in a smokey front and rear. If you have cooked the rear disc, you'll need a replacement.
But, how was Almeria? Pretty cool eh? What a track and how easy is that?
I'm just really crap at this kind of stuff.. I know i really should learn lol..
Probably leave it to get checked out by a garage some point this week..
Almeria was Epic mate.. My first European track learnt so much from there and there is still so much more to learn..
Really can not wait to go back again [emoji16]

From what you?ve said I?d start by checking there?s enough free play in the rear brake lever. (Which May be hard to tell right now as I?d imagine the brake fluid will have boiled)

If there is no free play in the pedal this means the fluid cannot return fast enough after the pedal is released, causing it to hold on.

You should start by replacing the brake fluid, after it?s boiled once it can?t be trusted - it?s much more likely to happen again

Then adjust the free play in the pedal so it moves a mm before starting to engage.

If you struggle to bleed the brake up this could mean there is air trapped in the abs unit and it would need to be plugged in to purge the unit of air.

From what you?ve said I?d start by checking there?s enough free play in the rear brake lever. (Which May be hard to tell right now as I?d imagine the brake fluid will have boiled)

If there is no free play in the pedal this means the fluid cannot return fast enough after the pedal is released, causing it to hold on.

You should start by replacing the brake fluid, after it?s boiled once it can?t be trusted - it?s much more likely to happen again

Then adjust the free play in the pedal so it moves a mm before starting to engage.

If you struggle to bleed the brake up this could mean there is air trapped in the abs unit and it would need to be plugged in to purge the unit of air.
Cheers buddy il check that tonite [emoji106].. Thank you

Back