A quick hello to everyone

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmooth

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I take delivery of my new S1000RR Sport later next week from Vines in Guildford and really looking forward to it. I live in Camberley and shall be riding mostly for leisure. Been riding for 10 years and previously an IAM member through SAM in Southampton. Fast, Smooth and Safe are what I aspire to and enjoy touring in Europe with my grown up son, him riding a Ducati 749S.

Looking forward to listening, learning, potentially meeting up with forum members and contributing as I get more experience with the bike.

Regards

Steve

Welcome Steve, nice intro. How was your experience with Vines? We don't hear much about them, which can be a good thing as well as a bad!

Welcome to the forum Steve and congratulations on your new RR!

As Alex says, great welcome post, it?s good to have you onboard.

What has been your favourite Euro tour with your son thus far?

Enjoy the forum, there?s a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
Hope you and your son both have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Welcome Steve, nice intro. How was your experience with Vines? We don't hear much about them, which can be a good thing as well as a bad!
Hi Alex, a couple of years ago I very nearly bought an S1000RR from that StormTroopersh1tbox Motorrad dealer near Alton. I wanted to trade in my Daytona 955i which wasn't worth a lot. The salesman rang some dodgy second hand bike dealer in front of me, had a conversation with him as though I wasn't there and said"Yeah, that's right, we both want to make money out of this deal..." then quoted me some sh1tty finance deal on the new S1000RR at 10% APR when interest rates were 0.25%... then insulted me by suggesting that I should return 'perhaps when I could afford it?'. I should have dropped him there and then.... I was sooo angry that I vowed never to consider an S1000RR again. However, I rode 899/1299 Panigale, Diavel bikes, New SP1 Fireblade, I never found an MV dealer who had any demo stock and Jap sportsbikes visually just didn't do it for me. I couldn't find a bike that made me laugh out loud like the S1000RR did.

Eventually, I saw that BMW now had more sensible finance rates, so I have put down a 45% deposit with a recurring ?1 per month over 2 years on a 4,000 mile pa PCP at 0% APR. A good friend of mine bought his GSA from Vines in Guildford and introduced me to his sales person, we established some rules of engagement together and I signed on the dotted line within an hour. I was very happy with the outcome as my bike was already pre-built, in stock, and sitting in a warehouse in MK. I got the sports model with the ABS plus option, racing colours and an alarm with fitted R&G crash bungs on the fairing

Guess where my first port of call is when I pick up the new bike.... same sh1tty Motorrad dealer near Alton..... and I will make an appointment with that same sales knob...

Welcome to the forum Steve and congratulations on your new RR!

As Alex says, great welcome post, it?s good to have you onboard.

What has been your favourite Euro tour with your son thus far?

Enjoy the forum, there?s a wonderful community on here and loads of information.
Hope you and your son both have many happy miles ahead of you [emoji4] Thanks again

Oli

Hi Oli, thanks for the welcome.
Two trips spring to mind. Two years ago we took the boat together over to Bilbao in Spain from Portsmouth, my son Jacques on his '95 Ducati 600SS and me on my '57 plate Triumph Daytona 955i. We rode the N240 from Pamplona to the Mediterranean on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees in early October. We spent 3 days searching out deserted roads and used them like our own private race track and rode them at 8/10 ths hard and fast, sometimes repeating the same stretch several times as we were enjoying ourselves so much.

Previously in 2010 my son won a Bennetts Insurance competition describing his dream ride as taking his '95 Ducati 600SS through the back roads of France and over the Alps to Italy and return to the Bologna Ducati factory for a visit. They gave him a sizeable wedge of money, serviced his bike for him, flew a journalist and photographer down to meet us in Bologna and gave us a ViP tour of the Ducati factory and museum. Then lent us a Multistrada 1200S, a 955 Evo and a Diavel to ride off into the Bologna hills together with the photographer and have 450 pictures taken of us having fun hooning on these bikes for the afternoon. The 3 page story later appeared in RiDE magazine and we had such fun during that week that I wrote a short book on the trip and published it on iTunes and Kindle. Look up "Ducati Passion" on iTunes books for the Mac/iPad and iPhone or on Kindle - it sells for ?1.99. I sold 200 copies around the world and got various really nice emails from a variety of Dads who after reading it, stopped what they were doing and scooped up their young sons and went and either watched motorbike racing or rode on motorbikes together. I liked that. I promised my English teacher at secondary school that I thought I was capable of and would eventually write a book, dedicating it to her because she brought literature, theatre and poetry into my life.

I'm off to Bologna and Milan again but on a flight this weekend. With my son too. We've got some petrol-head museums to visit. There is something in the soil there, Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, MV Agusta ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Oli, thanks for the welcome.
Two trips spring to mind. Two years ago we took the boat together over to Bilbao in Spain from Portsmouth, my son Jacques on his '95 Ducati 600SS and me on my '57 plate Triumph Daytona 955i. We rode the N240 from Pamplona to the Mediterranean on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees in early October. We spent 3 days searching out deserted roads and used them like our own private race track and rode them at 8/10 ths hard and fast, sometimes repeating the same stretch several times as we were enjoying ourselves so much.

Previously in 2010 my son won a Bennetts Insurance competition describing his dream ride as taking his '95 Ducati 600SS through the back roads of France and over the Alps to Italy and return to the Bologna Ducati factory for a visit. They gave him a sizeable wedge of money, serviced his bike for him, flew a journalist and photographer down to meet us in Bologna and gave us a ViP tour of the Ducati factory and museum. Then lent us a Multistrada 1200S, a 955 Evo and a Diavel to ride off into the Bologna hills together with the photographer and have 450 pictures taken of us having fun hooning on these bikes for the afternoon. The 3 page story later appeared in RiDE magazine and we had such fun during that week that I wrote a short book on the trip and published it on iTunes and Kindle. Look up "Ducati Passion" on iTunes books for the Mac/iPad and iPhone or on Kindle - it sells for ?1.99. I sold 200 copies around the world and got various really nice emails from a variety of Dads who after reading it, stopped what they were doing and scooped up their young sons and went and either watched motorbike racing or rode on motorbikes together. I liked that. I promised my English teacher at secondary school that I thought I was capable of and would eventually write a book, dedicating it to her because she brought literature, theatre and poetry into my life.

I'm off to Bologna and Milan again but on a flight this weekend. With my son too. We've got some petrol-head museums to visit. There is something in the soil there, Ducati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, MV Agusta ....

Well if your book is as good as your reply it?s going to be a throughly enjoyable read [emoji4]
I?m downloading it now!

Both trips sound like amazing experiences, must have been great seeing the Ducati factory and then having the journalist experience after. Very cool indeed [emoji41]

You?re quite right, there must be something in the soil to have so many historic marks in such close proximity. Italian passionale!

Enjoy the forum and I hope you and your son have many more fantastic adventures ahead of you [emoji4]

Welcome Mr Smooth, I'm not too far from you at all located in Bucks. Great write up. It's wicked that you and your son ride together.
My dad is currently doing is full A License in July, He wants us both to go to Cali to tour round there on Harleys once he has his full license. Enjoy the forum and hope to see you and your son on some ride outs =D

You must Mr Cleans pal...

:WILLARD: "Clean, Mr Clean was from South Bronx shithole"

One of my top ten movies !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mmmm Apocalypse Now. A top anti war movie. I remember being slightly disturbed by it when I first saw it in 1981/2 at the age of around 20 whilst at Engineering Uni. I decided that I needed to man up and become a little more angry with the world, to be more courageous and prepare to meet danger wherever it lurked. I bought an army surplus combat jacket and boots and snarled at people for a whole year! Hahaha.

I met several Robert Duval characters in business in the late 80’s “I love the smell of napalm in the mornings”, recognised them by their egos and helped them fail wherever I could.

Thanks Felix. Encourage your Dad to persevere as I believe the new test is a tough one. One thing my son and I invested in was a helmet to helmet bluetooth comms product, excellent fun and good for joint riding and keeping an eye out for hazards and road directions together

Thanks Oli, I wasn't trying to make a pitch for my ebook, but if you did download it, I hope that you enjoyed it. BR Steve

I know you weren?t, I think it?s fantastic you?ve written a book on your adventures and I have indeed purchased it. Look forward to reading it in due course [emoji4]
My apologies for any confusion in my initial reply.

Hope you?re enjoying the fantastic weather of late?

Oli

Back