Suspension set up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Suspension Setup

Yes he does. The fundamentals are the same with DDC and whilst preload is still set manually the main difference is the other stages (compression and rebound) of the suspension are set electronically.

thanks for the info will meet up with him at donington on the 28th.

100% Suspension

Make sure that you phone ahead and book a time slot as he is normally quite busy during trackdays.

Sag

You may depending on your weight but for ?50 it?s a starting point. I personally don?t use 100% Suspension and would disagree with the throwaway comment that you should just ?junk it?. Quite clearly ?hlins or K-Tech suspension is better but for many DDC is fine especially if the bike is used mostly on the road. I see a lot of people with aftermarket suspension fitted on trackdays and many of them are certainly no quicker. That and a lot of them have never adjusted the suspension since having it fitted in the first place. DDC has it?s failing, like most standard suspension, but it is still very good. The best advice is start with what you have and work from there. The natural next step would be to change the springs if required and then consider buying aftermarket suspension. Or like some do just buy it as they like the allure of ?hlins gold...

A good Suspension Technician will definitely not set up a bike the way they like it. Instead they will take the feedback that you provide and translate that into a setting that suits your needs and addresses issues that you are having on the bike.

My comment was not a criticism of suspension gurus or to profess I?m an expert. But to encourage people to try making there own step by step adjustments to learn what the bike feels like and what they prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suspension Setup

I agree with your sentiment. To few people actually ever bother adjusting their suspension which is a shame as it?s fundamental to getting the most out of a bike.

Its quite a complex thing to do, especially actually feel the minor changes. I don't think I'm at that level of riding yet. Hence I'm using a suspension guy....

I agree with your sentiment. To few people actually ever bother adjusting their suspension which is a shame as it?s fundamental to getting the most out of a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Suspension Setup

Suspension setup really isn?t all that complicated once you grasp the fundamental basics of compression, rebound and preload. The key to understanding suspension setup is being able to identify what the bike is doing beneath you and more importantly what it is preventing you from doing. This will continually change the faster you go as you will likely encounter different issues as the suspension will react differently as the pace increases. Whilst this is perhaps more pertinent to track riding, given road speeds are much lower, the basic principles of suspension setup are just as relevant. When you make changes only adjust one aspect at a time in small incremental steps. Whatever changes you make just record them and if you get it wrong just return to your previous setting. Just remember there is no such thing as the perfect setting and never rely on the settings provided by others as there are just to many variables which affect setup.

I agree Ryan, if an individual feels they have the knowledge and / or or doesn't want to part with ?50 for whatever reason then nothing is stopping them from setting up their own suspension. If, like me, they'd rather have someone with expertise set up the suspension on their multi adjustable bike to at least a good base spec. rather than fannying about with it themselves for the equivalent cost of a couple of tanks of fuel then why wouldn't you?. What doesn't make sense is never touching the suspension on your bike when it can be better optimised for the individual v the std factory settings.

Last edited:
at risk of sounding thick on a DDC bike what sort of changes would MCT or similar do? Also is it ride in ride out?

at risk of sounding thick on a DDC bike what sort of changes would MCT or similar do? Also is it ride in ride out?
Front: Change springs, oil weight & air gap, preload seat is changed.
Then configure; fork position, preload, DDC settings for each mode.

Rear: spring if needed
Configure: Preload, DDC settings

- Alex

Last edited:
Totally agree
I agree Ryan, if an individual feels they have the knowledge and / or or doesn't want to part with ?50 for whatever reason then nothing is stopping them from setting up their own suspension. If, like me, they'd rather have someone with expertise set up the suspension on their multi adjustable bike to at least a good base spec. rather than fannying about with it themselves for the equivalent cost of a couple of tanks of fuel then why wouldn't you?. What doesn't make sense is never touching the suspension on your bike when it can be better optimised for the individual v the std factory settings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back