S1000RR Valves @ 14000 rpm

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found this video and found it rather amazing to see the valves moving so fast throughout the rev-range.

I laughed at one of the comments, who pointed out that it?s rather alarming to know this is going on literally inches below your nuts lol

https://youtu.be/vcyT18qk8ls

Nice one..similar post on here last year showing other parts of the engine not just head and valves.. read the comments theres a few keyboard warriors having a go at each other regarding bounce/float..guess that's where the desmodromic system excels...
https://youtu.be/Ak2rsfbVo60

This is why they sound like a bag of spanners..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've stated on here before that I'd rather have a dohc with a 4-1 system..thank you Clydebank Cinema 1979 and "Mad Max" that movie put the hook in a 15 year old thats still there.....those Z thous and Z 1s are just awesome...enjoy.

https://youtu.be/DWARF-8ywzs

One of my biker mates from teenage days is still called "Johnny the Boy" to this day.

Up until I saw this clip Stuart I had no idea where his nickname came from, but there again I was in Primary 6 in 1979, lol.

I'm gonna watch all the Mad Max's now in the right order.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
All those moving parts. Human ingenuity at it's best, and to me profoundly beautiful...
...it's also ridiculously inefficient, all that metal rubbing metal. Electric is coming, but so much less exciting than petrol.
I suppose steam was even more exciting than petrol, and was even less efficient.
Progress I suppose.
Interesting to think of all the skills and knowledge that just disappeared when steam was replaced by internal combustion engines.
No-one but an enthusiast does steam any more. Same will happen when battery tech gets it's act together, i.c. engines will be novelty value only.
:disillusionment:
I'm not regretful tho. Who else expressed amazed disappointment when they discovered how their dads car worked?
"Did you say lots of little EXPLOSIONS? ... Are you joking?"

Its motorsport I worry for.
Electric racing so far has not been engaging.
Maybe it will get there, but I fear the crowds will drop in time because Motorsport should be theatre and the noise/smells are inherent to that.

I'll ride whatever on the road, if I had the possibility to charge an electric vehicle I could happily have an electric bike for commuting now.

- Alex

One of my biker mates from teenage days is still called "Johnny the Boy" to this day.

Up until I saw this clip Stuart I had no idea where his nickname came from, but there again I was in Primary 6 in 1979, lol.

I'm gonna watch all the Mad Max's now in the right order.

JimmyMac
One of the rare occurences in the movie world where the follow up is better than the original with the original being a classic... Godfather 1 and 2 is same....

I suppose steam was even more exciting than petrol, and was even less efficient.
Progress I suppose.
Interesting to think of all the skills and knowledge that just disappeared when steam was replaced by internal combustion engines.
No-one but an enthusiast does steam any more. Same will happen when battery tech gets it's act together, i.c. engines will be novelty value only.
"

My trade is steam and motor (diesel engine) marine engineer, and I hated steam ships. They were very boring to work on, as so few moving parts. Much prefer working on big 2 stroke Diesel engines.

Nice one..similar post on here last year showing other parts of the engine not just head and valves.. read the comments theres a few keyboard warriors having a go at each other regarding bounce/float..guess that's where the desmodromic system excels...
https://youtu.be/Ak2rsfbVo60

This is why they sound like a bag of spanners..

Thanks Stuart, good video. I think you?re right re the Ducati clatter being a result of the Desmodromic valves.

I've stated on here before that I'd rather have a dohc with a 4-1 system..thank you Clydebank Cinema 1979 and "Mad Max" that movie put the hook in a 15 year old thats still there.....those Z thous and Z 1s are just awesome...enjoy.

https://youtu.be/DWARF-8ywzs

Fully agree, IMO nothing beats the howl of a flat-plane crank!
That?s what made the pre-turbo F1 cars sound so awesome [emoji41]

It's amazing when you think about it, 10,000 rpm..........that's over 166 revolutions EVERY SECOND ....

It?s unbelievable to think these things would last a race, let alone have an 18 k mile valve clearance check. Incredible.

My trade is steam and motor (diesel engine) marine engineer, and I hated steam ships. They were very boring to work on, as so few moving parts. Much prefer working on big 2 stroke Diesel engines.
What's happening with electric powered ships Kenny? Are they far off? Same battery problems I s'pose although maybe weight is less of an issue.

All those moving parts. Human ingenuity at it's best, and to me profoundly beautiful...
...it's also ridiculously inefficient, all that metal rubbing metal. Electric is coming, but so much less exciting than petrol.
Progress I suppose.
:disillusionment:
I'm not regretful tho. Who else expressed amazed disappointment when they discovered how their dads car worked?
"Did you say lots of little EXPLOSIONS? ... Are you joking?"

Well said Hugh, I guess there is always an inevitable loss of character as things become more efficient.
I mean, an Apple Watch can tell you all sorts of information and tell the time with the best accuracy, being connected via the internet to an atomic clock. However, an electronic watch will never give the same experience as beautifully hand-made mechanical Swiss watch.

Back to motor vehicles, I remember watching the Jay Leno Top Gear interview way back, and I Jay essentially explained the whole electric vs petrol debate as you have. In time, the electric vehicles will be the utility machines that we all rely on, but the I/C engine vehicles will continue to entertain petrol heads as purely recreational vehicles. Such as the horse being retired by the advent of the motor car

What's happening with electric powered ships Kenny? Are they far off? Same battery problems I s'pose although maybe weight is less of an issue.

Electric ships have been getting used for quite a long time. They still rely on IC engines to generate the power for them though. The engines are normally diesel, although LNG tankers now have engines running on the natural boil off from the liquid gas to run an alternator, which in turn runs an electric motor which turns the prop. LNG tankers have always been steam powered, as the boil off gas is used to run the boilers.

I think there are also electric ferries in the pipeline for use around the west coast, that will charge up when along side, and run on batteries at sea. I've also heard talk of ferries running on hydrogen, and the hydrogen being generated using wind power, when excess electricity is being generated.

Last edited:
Back