Extended Warranty

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skel

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,
Hope alls well out there in S1000 world. Fingers crossed the sun we be back very soon.. lol
Anyway as above my warranty is out next month and just had my renewal for ?397.52. Just wanted to get some feedback from you lot as it?s not something would normally even consider. ([emoji23] says the bloody car salesmen) however as there has been a few expensive issues kicking around though it best to think on it. Bikes done 7k and never missed a beat (famous last words) I?m talking myself out of it but open to some advice.
Thanks in advance.
Skel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend it. Reason being is that if anything big goes wrong, think engine, gearbox, DDC etc, you are covered under warranty.

My 15 RR has just had some extensive warranty repair work done, had the gearbox layshift bearing replaced, which is a full engine out job. This was fully covered under the extended warranty.

Personally, I think it?s worth every penny for the peace of mind

I've paid for the extended warranty and I think most folk have. I'd say it's definitely worth the small cost for peace of mind.
If anyone has a dash display with the "powder" flaw on it then make sure you mention it before the 2 year warranty runs out.
Mine did and had for some time but never mentioned it while it was under the 2 year warranty. I mentioned it at a service when I had the extended warranty and they said it wasn't covered, Typical.

Hi Oli, thanks for replying mate. How many miles is on yours and is it a daily used bike or a fair weather bike?

42 K miles from year round, all weather riding.

That being said, I echo what Loupe says, regardless of mileage I think it?s well worth the money for the peace of mind re major issues (albeit unlikely)

I've paid for the extended warranty and I think most folk have. I'd say it's definitely worth the small cost for peace of mind.
If anyone has a dash display with the "powder" flaw on it then make sure you mention it before the 2 year warranty runs out.
Mine did and had for some time but never mentioned it while it was under the 2 year warranty. I mentioned it at a service when I had the extended warranty and they said it wasn't covered, Typical.

That?s really unlucky Loupe, I?m really surprised they didn?t offer a replacement as a good-will gesture, particularly as you?ve paid for the extended warranty.

I?ve had the ?powder dash? fault twice, though I was lucky that I was still firmly within the manufacturer warranty

I have extended warranty. You are buying ‘no big surprises’ for ?35 ish a month, plus it will help if/when you come to sell.

Loupe, what was the reason the clocks were not covered?

They said that it wasn?t covered by the warranty even though I have full cover, it?s not that bad but was a bit miffed.
I called the BMW warranty number and spoke to another person and they said the same.

Last edited:
They said that it wasn’t covered by the warranty even though I have full cover, it’s not that bad but was a bit miffed.
I called the BMW warranty number and spoke to another person and they said the same.

Loupe, I have opened and adapted a few dash's that had their locating pins snapped off and have the tools to open the dash up completely. If you are ever down in the Kingdom and have a couple of hours spare feel free to drop in, you can drink coffee, tea or Irn-Bru (delete as necessary) and I'll give the clocks a good clean out for you.

JimmyMac

Loupe, I have opened and adapted a few dash's that had their locating pins snapped off and have the tools to open the dash up completely. If you are ever down in the Kingdom and have a couple of hours spare feel free to drop in, you can drink coffee, tea or Irn-Bru (delete as necessary) and I'll give the clocks a good clean out for you.

JimmyMac

Fiddly buggers aren't they lol Had to change the case on mine.

What's the deal with the extended warranty? Is it available to everyone? I'd consider it if it were an option.

the bikes are covered for the first two years Wull by BMW warranty free of charge, the when the bike is over 2 years you have the option to extend it for a set amount each year. If the warranty has a gap in the coverage I don't think you can then resurrected but I may be wrong on that score. Think Beavis could clarify as I think he looked deeper into it last year.

If you buy a second hand bike that is under warranty, the new owner can keep it going, I did that on a GS a few years back.

JimmyMac

the bikes are covered for the first two years Wull by BMW warranty free of charge, the when the bike is over 2 years you have the option to extend it for a set amount each year. If the warranty has a gap in the coverage I don't think you can then resurrected but I may be wrong on that score. Think Beavis could clarify as I think he looked deeper into it last year.

If you buy a second hand bike that is under warranty, the new owner can keep it going, I did that on a GS a few years back.

JimmyMac

That waa was my worry, I can always ask I suppose....and probably be refused lol!

...I?ve had the ?powder dash? fault twice...
Had a quick search for "powder dash" on the forum and couldn't find it. How bad was it Oli?

...and I'll give the clocks a good clean out for you. JimmyMac
Had a quick search for "cleaning my clocks" on Google. Wife walked in as I perused the results. In her bad books now. :culpability:

I was going to ask the same question Skeleton.
My warranty is out in 2 weeks, bikes only done 3k miles. Seems like a lot if it doesn't cover everything. I can understand not covering wear and tear, but why would a dash not be covered?

Yeah I still can?t make my mind up as I?m so anal with cleaning and keeping things lubed but as a few of the lads have said it can be a bloody expensive mistake. Had a chat with my salesman today and he?s gone to investigate a little further for me and no doubt the twat will come back saying ?well Skel you could just put that money towards a new 2018? hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a quick search for "powder dash" on the forum and couldn't find it. How bad was it Oli?

I can?t find a photo of it either, thought I posted a photo in my bike thread but can?t find it.

Basically it?s a fault with the dash where you get the appearance of dust in a small portion at the base of the LCD display. It is likely due to a burnt out LED, or at least that?s what BMW told me. In both cases it occurred in exactly the same location.
It?s not a major issue, more a cosmetic annoyance, but it?s certainly something that should be addressed under warranty IMO.

If I do find a photo I?ll update the thread

Last edited:
I did look into it last year and spoke to someone at the warranty place. She quoted something like ?32 a month ish if I booked it before my original warranty ran out. If I let it ran out ( which I did ) it would be something like ?35 ish a month and I could pick it up and drop whenever I wanted. I've still not taken it out , I might or might not . Surely these bikes are a bit more reliable than people are giving them credit for . Does everyone on here extend the warranty on their cars as soon as that expires ?

Back