Differences

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Euro4.
Bigger Cat
New ECU features which mean you can't fit PCV's (working O2 sensor requirement)
ABS Pro (cornering ABS) on Rain and Sport mode - by default - it came on some '16's too.
Less power lol

Last edited:
Really? *sad face* how much we talking? These things are animals!

To my knowledge, the Gen 1 RR?s had the greatest peak power.
However, due to reliability issues in racing and in an attempt to smooth out the power curve the RR?s have gradually lost peak power yet gained midrange torque, resulting in a more linear power delivery.

The Euro 4 bikes from MY 2017 onwards have had ?a bit? of a power loss vs 2015/2016 Gen 3?s due to the more restrictive exhaust, and I believe there was an engine modification to improve durability which also resulted in a slight power loss.
@RyS1000RR @alex can you confirm this?

Regardless of dyno figures, all RR?s are epically quick, so I really wouldn?t worry [emoji4]

Last edited:
However, due to reliability issues in racing and in an attempt to smooth out the power curve the RR?s have gradually lost peak power yet gained midrange torque, resulting in a more linear power delivery.

The Euro 4 bikes from MY 2017 onwards have had ?a bit? of a power loss vs 2015/2016 Gen 3?s due to the more restrictive exhaust, and I believe there was an engine modification to improve durability which also resulted in a slight power loss.

Regardless of dyno figures, all RR?s are epically quick, so I really wouldn?t worry [emoji4]

You?ve got to be a riding god who?s super sensitive to tell the difference between a 190 Bhp and 199bhp. That?s without factoring the effect the electronics have on throttle demand v engine power output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You?ve got to be a riding god who?s super sensitive to tell the difference between a 190 Bhp and 199bhp. That?s without factoring the effect the electronics have on throttle demand v engine power output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully agree

To my knowledge, the Gen 1 RR’s had the greatest peak power.
However, due to reliability issues in racing and in an attempt to smooth out the power curve the RR’s have gradually lost peak power yet gained midrange torque, resulting in a more linear power delivery.

The Euro 4 bikes from MY 2017 onwards have had “a bit” of a power loss vs 2015/2016 Gen 3’s due to the more restrictive exhaust, and I believe there was an engine modification to improve durability which also resulted in a slight power loss.

Regardless of dyno figures, all RR’s are epically quick, so I really wouldn’t worry [emoji4]

+1

Sums it up nicely.

The 17/18 also has a higher output alternator, which I dare say will mean no dash/lights/electrical issues for the current model

BMW published output for the 17 is 199 bhp isn?t it? Whatever it?s well and truly enough for me!

Yes, the early gen 1 had a lighter crank, the racing issues were due to the bikes going straight on track and getting a hammering, that's when the 600mile restriction was brought in.

The ECU is very different. But for all its new power its just trying minimise the Euro4 losses. These aren't changes an owner can really appreciate.

The Gen3 exhaust change was for torque I thought. It waa only a couple of mm's.

- Alex

Back