2018 BMW R1200 GS Rally Review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside it amuses me that the rallye versions come with radiator guards fitted. It wasnt long ago I was told by bmw not to fit guards to my bike because they would have a negative impact on the cooling, and were not necessary even in the harshest environments. Lol.

It?s funny you mention this as I noticed the factory fitted radiator guards and thought the same lol.
Why they don?t fit them on all models I have no idea ...

Wow Jimmy, just wow, that first photo! My jaw literally dropped! It?s incredible, where is it/where were you? Tell me more lol. [/QUOTE]

It is in Antofagasta, Chile Oli. The photograph was taken by an Italian Valentino Rossi fan who happened to be there at the same time.
I rode across the Andes mountains from Argentina then north through Chile to Peru across the Atacama desert in 2014, for absolutely no reason other than I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying if you break down or crash you are pretty much going to die. The desert is so barren that microscopic life is void, kinda wanted to test my mental resolve so did it solo with no back up plan or indeed any plan, lol. Was told by more than one local, "you cannot go that way you will not make it." I love a challenge.
I could bore you to death with other stories Oli but there are much more seasoned travellers than me that I have met and make my wee soirees seem like a day trip to the local bikers cafe, lol.

I will return to South America, it is such a diverse continent, however my Spanish is woeful to say the least, but its amazing the reactions you get when you smile.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Thank you Phil, I?m glad you enjoyed it [emoji4]

If you do test ride one at some point I?d be interested to hear your feedback, particularly as you have considerable experience with the Tiger.
What do you think of the XR?
The XR was a bike that I thought was very good but not Great. Imo it is not a taller S1000RR, it is heavier although this is hidden well as it handles pretty good for its size, I was a little worried (as always) about dropping the demo bike so didn't really push it hard but hard enough to realise that my RR is far better at cornering, this was partly due to the electronic suspension feeling a little laboured ie slow to react. I tried all modes but could not dial it in the way I like it. The brakes were exceptional. The sound of the engine made me want to thrash it which I hardly ever do when riding and those that have ridden with me will know I take it easy.. There was a slight vibration felt around 70 - 80 MPH, this I found to be annoying and when I tested it 2 up Louise said it was awful, the room for the pillion was less than the Tiger although my feet were further away from Louise's compared to the Tiger (1050). The luggage on the XR Imo looks bland and the luggage rack looks like it was designed by a scaffolder during his lunch break.
After test riding 2 different XR's I decided that the XR just didnt set my pants on fire!! It was similar to the RR and the Tiger but Imo both are better in their own ways. I would not have the XR as a second Bike to the RR, maybe as a my only bike but that is a maybe.

Really starting to think the KTM SD GT is the all rounder to have. Must ride one, one day. We'll have to do a mini-meet at your dealer sometime Phil :)

Really starting to think the KTM SD GT is the all rounder to have. Must ride one, one day. We'll have to do a mini-meet at your dealer sometime Phil :)
That can be arranged Alex, on a side note an Essex rideout is on the cards post NC500.

Wow Jimmy, just wow, that first photo! My jaw literally dropped! It?s incredible, where is it/where were you? Tell me more lol.

It is in Antofagasta, Chile Oli. The photograph was taken by an Italian Valentino Rossi fan who happened to be there at the same time.
I rode across the Andes mountains from Argentina then north through Chile to Peru across the Atacama desert in 2014, for absolutely no reason other than I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying if you break down or crash you are pretty much going to die. The desert is so barren that microscopic life is void, kinda wanted to test my mental resolve so did it solo with no back up plan or indeed any plan, lol. Was told by more than one local, "you cannot go that way you will not make it." I love a challenge.
I could bore you to death with other stories Oli but there are much more seasoned travellers than me that I have met and make my wee soirees seem like a day trip to the local bikers cafe, lol.

I will return to South America, it is such a diverse continent, however my Spanish is woeful to say the least, but its amazing the reactions you get when you smile.

JimmyMac[/QUOTE]

That?s a great story Jimmy, I highly doubt I?d ever get bored hearing of your travels, I mean after all everyone enjoys an adventure! [emoji4]

The XR was a bike that I thought was very good but not Great. Imo it is not a taller S1000RR, it is heavier although this is hidden well as it handles pretty good for its size, I was a little worried (as always) about dropping the demo bike so didn't really push it hard but hard enough to realise that my RR is far better at cornering, this was partly due to the electronic suspension feeling a little laboured ie slow to react. I tried all modes but could not dial it in the way I like it. The brakes were exceptional. The sound of the engine made me want to thrash it which I hardly ever do when riding and those that have ridden with me will know I take it easy.. There was a slight vibration felt around 70 - 80 MPH, this I found to be annoying and when I tested it 2 up Louise said it was awful, the room for the pillion was less than the Tiger although my feet were further away from Louise's compared to the Tiger (1050). The luggage on the XR Imo looks bland and the luggage rack looks like it was designed by a scaffolder during his lunch break.
After test riding 2 different XR's I decided that the XR just didnt set my pants on fire!! It was similar to the RR and the Tiger but Imo both are better in their own ways. I would not have the XR as a second Bike to the RR, maybe as a my only bike but that is a maybe.

I agree it?s certainly not an RR on stilts, the handling and engine just aren?t comparable. However, my recollection was that it made for a good all rounder if it were ones only bike. That being said I did come away from the test ride thinking I certainly wouldn?t want to substitute my RR for it ...
The vibration issue is interesting because it?s a very common criticism of the XR, between 70 and 80 mph. I think I must have either test rode a Unicorn example or that I didn?t spend sufficient time at that speed to notice it.
I?m surprised Louise didn?t find it at all comfortable as a pillion, from the photos I always assumed it would be pretty much identical to say a GS pillion experience.

Re luggage, I agree the XR?s design could be improved, KTM for example seem to have a very neat idea on the SDgt!

+1
The 1299 Super Duke has certainly been a successful range for KTM and I agree the GT makes for a brilliant all-rounder.
Jim Aim Motorcycles are a wonderful family owned dealership, I?ve had 3 KTM?s from them in the past and can whole heartedly recommend them. If I were in the market for a KTM I?d look no further

This vid is for Oli, the words to the song really speak to me and the video is quite well made too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74rFH2OKc68

The band is called Electric Sun with the song - Cold Light of Day.

Enjoy

JimmyMac

Great video Jimmy, made me want to go for a ride big time!
Oh and the song is now in my music library lol ...

Great write up Oli, thanks.
-
Very pertinent for me as I'm looking at a second bike for a big tour 2019 or 2020. The contenders are: KTM SuperAdventure S, MultiStrada Enduro / Pro, Tiger 1200 and the GS / GSA (obvs).
The Triumph is in there as it's the prettiest and best proportioned (IMO) and I still miss the engine from my old Speed Triple, but it never comes first when tested against the others. I test rode the old 1200 Explorer and it was crap but I hear the new Tiger is definitely not. My bullsh*t detector goes off when I see all the different Tiger models though. Something the GS range is beginning to suffer from.
In Adv bike tests, as you all know, the GS usually always comes out on top and you can't ignore the sheer biomass of GS owners. I loved the easy going nature when I've tested them in the past, but never been on it for more than an hour, tops. There's also the issue when I took it off road and sat well forward over the bars my shins were kissing the cylinder heads. Might have to do a GS day in Wales and see if it really is a problem. Re. GSA, Andy's comments are very interesting, I figured it was just a bit flasher than the GS with a bigger tank. I'm gonna have to test ride it.
The MultiStrada is a head-scratcher for me. Whilst I fit the normal MS perfectly, the Enduro has great big lumps of plastic sticking out the sides that interfere with my knees (they appear to be hollow too, FFS). I can't believe this ENORMOUS bike has a leg room problem. This rules it out (I've yet to try the Pro but it looks the same), and the normal MS is rubbish off road, so everybody says.
The KTM SA S. Comfy (for me) and bad-ass, but BOY is it ugly (badly proportioned) with KTM's love-it or loathe-it fanny-face thrown in for good measure.
-
Where am I right now? Gonna pay off the RR and keep it till I die (perhaps migrate it to track use as and when a second bike arrives in the garage). I don't really need another lairy bike, but I DO want one that I can take anywhere. The KTM SD GT and the standard MultiStradas don't do this.
-
Cheers
Hugh
-
ps. I actually ordered a KTM SD GT when they first came out. Put my Speed Triple up for sale which then got nicked. The SD GT delivery got delayed for several months at the beginning of the biking season so I cancelled it and bought an RC8R. I test rode the SD GT afterwards and didn't regret it one bit. The SD GT was a little bit torquier, but the RC8R was a beautiful machine, faster and such a better ride. Neither are as fast as the RR, of course. You lot may know about the RC8R's demise at Brands, I'd be interested to see if the SD GT engine is as delicate as the RC8R's.

Back