Dodgy sump

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wull

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
What years have been plagued with sump corrosion?

I?ve only had my 2011 bike for a week and after reading up I?ve got a bit paranoid about it, I?ll remove the lower fairing and have a good look to see what it?s like under there. The bike has came with a 3 month warranty from the dealers so I?m sure if there?s any issues found it?ll get rectified. I?m going to do an oil change as well for peace of mind.

All gen1/2's for certain...so yours.
It may have been replaced already if you check the paperwork.

- Alex

i had it done under warranty after year 2 of ownership. (2014 gen 2 bike)

hard to tell first hand. Different materials used as sump plug was causing some kind of chemical reaction with sump material blah blah science etc etc

Mine was on a 2013 plate replaced under 'goodwill' last year. It was pitted and corroded around the sump plug. Was not leaking but such that if plug had been removed it would have been unlikely to seal again. I've read various explanations either bad alloy castings or water collection around oem exhaust/cat.

I had a quick look and it looks ok, I didn’t have time to remove the sump cover but I do remember the issue being more in and around the sump plug area.

Looks ok Wull.

The thing with these bikes is that if you run them over winter months they have a tendancy to turn to cheese unless you are diligent with cleaning after every exposure. Most corrosion type issues are related to salted roads. Aluminium can oxidise when exposed to sodium, so it is best avoided and/or removed to keep the bike healthy. (I have had salt related corrosion issues on 2 different BMW models, its not exclusive to the rr).

I had a quick look and it looks ok, I didn’t have time to remove the sump cover but I do remember the issue being more in and around the sump plug area.

Yours looks fine. Mine doesn't have the sump heatshield as its decated/full system. I think that part of the problem is salt/water getting trapped between the heatshield and sump in the winter.

I?ve seen that being mentioned before, I think it?ll be fine as is, if I keep it good and don?t ride in the crap weather/winter months.

I?ll remove it one day when I get a chance and brush on some ACF-50, is it worth while leaving the sump cover off or am I better putting it back on?

Last edited:
Ive just had a tracker fitted by bmw and on the "look over" by the tec guy mine has been flagged up as having "excess corrosion". I didnt have the time to try and get it done with a good will gesture but will get it done when i lay the bike up next winter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ive just had a tracker fitted by bmw and on the "look over" by the tec guy mine has been flagged up as having "excess corrosion". I didnt have the time to try and get it done with a good will gesture but will get it done when i lay the bike up next winter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
New one?

- Alex

i unleashed a can of WD40 on the underside of mine last winter... so far so good. x3 winters done ... not much cleaning... will hear tomorrow if it's a concern from the tech at BMW. It's nicely black and scummy with road filth under there ...Mmmmm

Back