Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1k

Reaction score
I bought my s1k from BMW about 6 months ago, it came with 2 year warranty and 2 emergency breakdown cover.
Its still under warranty
I noticed a patch of oil under the bike and called BMW.
They collected it on friday and had a look at it today.
The sump is leaking. They said the thread has corroded away and its a ?500 job.
They are trying to tell me that this isn't covered under warranty.
I told them that i am not paying for it, either fix my bike or give my money back.

I explained to them that the corrosion hasn't happened in the space of 6 months or me doing 3k miles.
It must have started before then, and deteriorated over time and into the time that i have had the bike.

They said they will try to get it repaired under good will
But if that gets rejected they expect me to fork out the ???

What can i do
Am i entitled to get my money back if they refuse to pay for it

thanks for the advice in advance
fiz

I had the same thing on mine. Went to do an intermediate oil change 6monrhs after purchase & found sump around plug was corroded. I had mine replaced FOC under 'goodwill' as corrosion not covered by warranty. Sump corrosion is known issue on some earlier bikes.

Hmm
I'm a bit worried that they might say they wont cover it under good will.
If thats the case, can i get a refund, as my argument wold be that the corrosion started way before i bought it

I bought my s1k from BMW about 6 months ago, it came with 2 year warranty and 2 emergency breakdown cover.
Its still under warranty
I noticed a patch of oil under the bike and called BMW.
They collected it on friday and had a look at it today.
The sump is leaking. They said the thread has corroded away and its a ?500 job.
They are trying to tell me that this isn't covered under warranty.
I told them that i am not paying for it, either fix my bike or give my money back.

I explained to them that the corrosion hasn't happened in the space of 6 months or me doing 3k miles.
It must have started before then, and deteriorated over time and into the time that i have had the bike.

They said they will try to get it repaired under good will
But if that gets rejected they expect me to fork out the ???

What can i do
Am i entitled to get my money back if they refuse to pay for it

thanks for the advice in advance
fiz
Not good! I’d be persistent and gently escalate it until you feel out of options. As far as I‘m concerned there’s no excuse for it, one half is under oil the whole time, the other should be fit for purpose! Hardly ‘wear and tear’ is it. Unless, of course, BMW advised S1 owners to only ride in the dry. But they don’t, so why do you have to pay? It’s clearly a design fault. Try another dealer or at least talk to somebody else. Good luck!

Cheers mate
They are going to contact the warranty lot on monday and put it forward as good will.

I have read my warranty document and no where does it say anything about corrosion

Not good! I’d be persistent and gently escalate it until you feel out of options. As far as I‘m concerned there’s no excuse for it, one half is under oil the whole time, the other should be fit for purpose! Hardly ‘wear and tear’ is it. Unless, of course, BMW advised S1 owners to only ride in the dry. But they don’t, so why do you have to pay? It’s clearly a design fault. Try another dealer or at least talk to somebody else. Good luck!

Cheers mate
They are going to contact the warranty lot on monday and put it forward as good will.

I have read my warranty document and no where does it say anything about corrosion
Well good luck, report back, be nice, and don’t take no for an answer. They’re trying it in as far as I’m concerned....
If they don’t resolve this to your satisfaction, I’d not be pleased. However, the wheels grind slowly it seems from previous warranty experience. At the end of the day, the negative publicity for a fair claim far outways the ?500 cost...

A recall is issued via vosa and the dvla for safety reasons.

You bought the bike with a 2 year bmw used warranty, they should sort it out under warranty.

I know of anecdotal stories of a few dealers refusing warranty work because they get paid less per hour by bmw uk than their retail rates. I am not saying that is the case here but we are coming into the season.... if they flat refuse the work then let us know.

Regarding the return of the bike for a refund, you are covered under the sale of goods act that the bike should be expected to last more than 6 months without significant cost to you as it has a complete warranty, and it being a premium product.

So in summary, let us know if things dont go the way they should, but you will need to spill the beans on who the dealer is....

Last edited:
Cheers bro
I bought the bike from bmw Rochdale, no issues with them.

The bike is in bmw bahnstormer maidenhead for warranty work as they are my nearest dealers

You bought the bike with a 2 year bmw used warranty, they should sort it out under warranty.

I know of anecdotal stories of a few dealers refusing warranty work because they get paid less per hour by bmw uk than their retail rates. I am not saying that is the case here but we are coming into the season.... if they flat refuse the work then let us know.

Regarding the return of the bike for a refund, you are covered under the sale of goods act that the bike should be expected to last more than 6 months without significant cost to you as it has a complete warranty, and it being a premium product.

So in summary, let us know if things dont go the way they should, but you will need to spill the beans on who the dealer is ...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are persistent & polite I think you are likely to get it done under goodwill. As others have said, it is really a material/design flaw & known issue. BMW may be reluctant admit that officially, but should replace it FOC under ''goodwil" .
It may be helpful to have a written record of your request for it to be repaired. I started the process with an email with detailed photos of corroded sump plug area.
If you don't have success with current dealer, it is worth going though again with dealer you purchased from. That is what I did. The corrosion would have been present when you bought the bike & they should have checked it over before sale. If you can show you've only done modest mileage since purchase even better.
The selling dealer will have a greater interest in persuading BMW to do it under goodwill because, as Soofsayer says, under sale of goods act you have an expectation that nothing major should go wrong within 6 months. Before you ask for refund you need to give seller a chance to put it right.

So in summary, let us know if things dont go the way they should, but you will need to spill the beans on who the dealer is....

This.

Wasn't there not a re-call on this but dealerships were required to fit a new part to prevent this from happening at the nearest service interval? was it on the 2015 onward?

BMW will sort it under good will, but i will need to pay for oil and filter.
They are saying its due a service in 3k miles/july

BMW will sort it under good will, but i will need to pay for oil and filter.
They are saying its due a service in 3k miles/july

That is good news that they will cover the sump replacement! But a bit mean that they are asking you to pay for oil & filter. That was included in my 'goodwill' sump replacement. If they make you pay for oil/filter ask them to stamp the service book for an oil change service (and take it somewhere else for the next service).

Yeah mate, was annoyed with that, but if i pay ?70 now 3k miles early, i save ?90 by avoiding the service in 3 months
They will stamp the book

Back