Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Re: Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

If you are persistent & polite I think you are likely to get it done under goodwill. As others have said, it is really a material/design flaw & known issue. BMW may be reluctant admit that officially, but should replace it FOC under ''goodwil" .
    It may be helpful to have a written record of your request for it to be repaired. I started the process with an email with detailed photos of corroded sump plug area.
    If you don't have success with current dealer, it is worth going though again with dealer you purchased from. That is what I did. The corrosion would have been present when you bought the bike & they should have checked it over before sale. If you can show you've only done modest mileage since purchase even better.
    The selling dealer will have a greater interest in persuading BMW to do it under goodwill because, as Soofsayer says, under sale of goods act you have an expectation that nothing major should go wrong within 6 months. Before you ask for refund you need to give seller a chance to put it right.

Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    A recall is issued via vosa and the dvla for safety reasons.

You bought the bike with a 2 year bmw used warranty, they should sort it out under warranty.

I know of anecdotal stories of a few dealers refusing warranty work because they get paid less per hour by bmw uk than their retail rates. I am not saying that is the case here but we are coming into the season.... if they flat refuse the work then let us know.

Regarding the return of the bike for a refund, you are covered under the sale of goods act that the bike should be expected to last more than 6 months without significant cost to you as it has a complete warranty, and it being a premium product.

So in summary, let us know if things dont go the way they should, but you will need to spill the beans on who the dealer is....

This.

Wasn't there not a re-call on this but dealerships were required to fit a new part to prevent this from happening at the nearest service interval? was it on the 2015 onward?

i had my 2015 pan replaced under warranty 23 months after dop.

BMW will sort it under good will, but i will need to pay for oil and filter.
    They are saying its due a service in 3k miles/july

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Quote Originally Posted by s1k View Post
    BMW will sort it under good will, but i will need to pay for oil and filter.
    They are saying its due a service in 3k miles/july
    That is good news that they will cover the sump replacement! But a bit mean that they are asking you to pay for oil & filter. That was included in my 'goodwill' sump replacement. If they make you pay for oil/filter ask them to stamp the service book for an oil change service (and take it somewhere else for the next service).

Yeah mate, was annoyed with that, but if i pay 70 now 3k miles early, i save 90 by avoiding the service in 3 months
    They will stamp the book