Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

I bought my s1k from BMW about 6 months ago, it came with 2 year warranty and 2 emergency breakdown cover.
    Its still under warranty
    I noticed a patch of oil under the bike and called BMW.
    They collected it on friday and had a look at it today.
    The sump is leaking. They said the thread has corroded away and its a 500 job.
    They are trying to tell me that this isn't covered under warranty.
    I told them that i am not paying for it, either fix my bike or give my money back.

I explained to them that the corrosion hasn't happened in the space of 6 months or me doing 3k miles.
    It must have started before then, and deteriorated over time and into the time that i have had the bike.

They said they will try to get it repaired under good will
    But if that gets rejected they expect me to fork out the

What can i do
    Am i entitled to get my money back if they refuse to pay for it

thanks for the advice in advance
    fiz

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Re: Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

I had the same thing on mine. Went to do an intermediate oil change 6monrhs after purchase & found sump around plug was corroded. I had mine replaced FOC under 'goodwill' as corrosion not covered by warranty. Sump corrosion is known issue on some earlier bikes.

Hmm
    I'm a bit worried that they might say they wont cover it under good will.
    If thats the case, can i get a refund, as my argument wold be that the corrosion started way before i bought it

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

I would go to the dealer you bought it from. They can ask BMW Uk to cover it under goodwill. I would try that route first.

Quote Originally Posted by s1k View Post
    I bought my s1k from BMW about 6 months ago, it came with 2 year warranty and 2 emergency breakdown cover.
    Its still under warranty
    I noticed a patch of oil under the bike and called BMW.
    They collected it on friday and had a look at it today.
    The sump is leaking. They said the thread has corroded away and its a 500 job.
    They are trying to tell me that this isn't covered under warranty.
    I told them that i am not paying for it, either fix my bike or give my money back.

I explained to them that the corrosion hasn't happened in the space of 6 months or me doing 3k miles.
    It must have started before then, and deteriorated over time and into the time that i have had the bike.

They said they will try to get it repaired under good will
    But if that gets rejected they expect me to fork out the

What can i do
    Am i entitled to get my money back if they refuse to pay for it

thanks for the advice in advance
    fiz
    Not good! I’d be persistent and gently escalate it until you feel out of options. As far as I‘m concerned there’s no excuse for it, one half is under oil the whole time, the other should be fit for purpose! Hardly ‘wear and tear’ is it. Unless, of course, BMW advised S1 owners to only ride in the dry. But they don’t, so why do you have to pay? It’s clearly a design fault. Try another dealer or at least talk to somebody else. Good luck!

Cheers mate
    They are going to contact the warranty lot on monday and put it forward as good will.

I have read my warranty document and no where does it say anything about corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by Zxcv12 View Post
    Not good! I’d be persistent and gently escalate it until you feel out of options. As far as I‘m concerned there’s no excuse for it, one half is under oil the whole time, the other should be fit for purpose! Hardly ‘wear and tear’ is it. Unless, of course, BMW advised S1 owners to only ride in the dry. But they don’t, so why do you have to pay? It’s clearly a design fault. Try another dealer or at least talk to somebody else. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by s1k View Post
    Cheers mate
    They are going to contact the warranty lot on monday and put it forward as good will.

I have read my warranty document and no where does it say anything about corrosion
    Well good luck, report back, be nice, and don’t take no for an answer. They’re trying it in as far as I’m concerned....
    If they don’t resolve this to your satisfaction, I’d not be pleased. However, the wheels grind slowly it seems from previous warranty experience. At the end of the day, the negative publicity for a fair claim far outways the 500 cost...

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Its so common it should have been a recall item on a premium bike!

- Alex

A recall is issued via vosa and the dvla for safety reasons.

You bought the bike with a 2 year bmw used warranty, they should sort it out under warranty.

I know of anecdotal stories of a few dealers refusing warranty work because they get paid less per hour by bmw uk than their retail rates. I am not saying that is the case here but we are coming into the season.... if they flat refuse the work then let us know.

Regarding the return of the bike for a refund, you are covered under the sale of goods act that the bike should be expected to last more than 6 months without significant cost to you as it has a complete warranty, and it being a premium product.

So in summary, let us know if things dont go the way they should, but you will need to spill the beans on who the dealer is....
    Last edited by soofsayer; 14th April 2018 at 08:12 PM.

Help, need advice re oil leak and warranty issue,

Cheers bro
    I bought the bike from bmw Rochdale, no issues with them.

The bike is in bmw bahnstormer maidenhead for warranty work as they are my nearest dealers

Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    A recall is issued via vosa and the dvla for safety reasons.

You bought the bike with a 2 year bmw used warranty, they should sort it out under warranty.

I know of anecdotal stories of a few dealers refusing warranty work because they get paid less per hour by bmw uk than their retail rates. I am not saying that is the case here but we are coming into the season.... if they flat refuse the work then let us know.

Regarding the return of the bike for a refund, you are covered under the sale of goods act that the bike should be expected to last more than 6 months without significant cost to you as it has a complete warranty, and it being a premium product.

So in summary, let us know if things dont go the way they should, but you will need to spill the beans on who the dealer is ...
    Last edited by Oli; 15th April 2018 at 09:12 AM.