Thread: Lifetime Forum Membership Removal Moan

Lifetime Forum Membership Removal Moan

So back in the day when all this was just fields, many of us put in some cash for a lifetime forum subscription. This was to help get the forum off the ground and generate some cash and activity to build it into a viable forum.

Since that time the forum has been sold and purchased by a new owner who I have to say does brilliant work. I am however a tad aggrieved that without communication the current management removed my privelidges and booted me back down to being a standard member asking me to pay again.

Whilst Iíve had a few years on my original contribution, the few of us that put in so there was actually a business to buy have lost out and our contribution and promise has not been honoured as part of the business take over. I feel a tad ripped off tbh. I also see other people with the lifetime forum membership tag still on their accounts.

Not usually a moaner but itís the principle. There wouldnít be a business without us guys having put in early doors and I think any takeover should have honoured it.

I wonít pay twice.

Nick

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Re: Lifetime Forum Membership Removal Moan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So back in the day when all this was just fields, many of us put in some cash for a lifetime forum subscription. This was to help get the forum off the ground and generate some cash and activity to build it into a viable forum.

Since that time the forum has been sold and purchased by a new owner who I have to say does brilliant work. I am however a tad aggrieved that without communication the current management removed my privelidges and booted me back down to being a standard member asking me to pay again.

Whilst Iíve had a few years on my original contribution, the few of us that put in so there was actually a business to buy have lost out and our contribution and promise has not been honoured as part of the business take over. I feel a tad ripped off tbh. I also see other people with the lifetime forum membership tag still on their accounts.

Not usually a moaner but itís the principle. There wouldnít be a business without us guys having put in early doors and I think any takeover should have honoured it.

I wonít pay twice.

Nick
    Hi Nick, there have been issues with the subscription system, in the past, so this maybe an outcome of that.

Probably best to PM Andy (soofsayer) about it.

- Alex
    Last edited by alex; 14th April 2018 at 06:52 AM.

I have already discussed briefly with Andy.

He told me that he removed the lifetime subscription and his reasoning behind it when I wrote to him asking if there had been a mistake as my subscription had been removed and no longer honoured.

He also said there was mention of it happening but I can’t find any threads relating to this issue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

Lifetime Forum Membership

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RyS1000RR For This Useful Post:

Oli

Re: Lifetime Forum Membership

Quote Originally Posted by RyS1000RR View Post
    Noted.

I’m not sure that’s really communication though, just a mention in a thread about premier subscription of what might happen to lifetime members.

I’m not also sure that it’s right or justifiable either.

I'd agree that's a bit underhand, should have been honored and a bit of a caveat on the purchase of the forum for this to be the case.

Dear Nick,

Just seen this thread.

You Pmd me a month ago, to the day, about this and I explained that I took over the forum 2 years ago and honoured lifetime memberships for that time out of my own pocket as goodwill. The money you paid went to turtle which is nothing to do with me. I ended lifetime subscriptions when I took over because I dont agree with the practice, you buy 1 or 2 years at a time and thats that. It pays towards the running of the site, the design, hosting, partner deals, printing decals, postage, my time etc. Believe me it is not a money spinner.

Your reply at the time was that you were fine with that but wouldnt be taking out another premier membership which is up to you.

You have never been asked to pay again.

So what, now you want to have another go about it? Really?

There are a couple of lifetime members now. These members have been given lifetime membership by me, they have not paid for it. I have given these members lifetime membership because they have helped other members way beyond what would be reasonable, at their own personal cost. They are hugely valued on the forum and help make this such a great community.

So get your facts straight and if you want to carry on with this take it up with turtle.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    Dear Nick,

Just seen this thread.

You Pmd me a month ago, to the day, about this and I explained that I took over the forum 2 years ago and honoured lifetime memberships for that time out of my own pocket as goodwill. The money you paid went to turtle which is nothing to do with me. I ended lifetime subscriptions when I took over because I dont agree with the practice, you buy 1 or 2 years at a time and thats that. It pays towards the running of the site, the design, hosting, partner deals, printing decals, postage, my time etc. Believe me it is not a money spinner.

Your reply at the time was that you were fine with that but wouldnt be taking out another premier membership which is up to you.

There are a couple of lifetime members now. These members have been given lifetime membership by me, they have not paid for it. I have given these members lifetime membership because they have helped other members way beyond what would be reasonable, at their own personal cost. They are hugely valued on the forum and help make this such a great community.

So get your facts straight and if you want to carry on with this take it up with turtle.
    Respectfully, I'm not sure there's any need for the tone of your reply. If you re-read my post I also comment on what an amazing job you've done since you took over the running of the forum and I'll also add what a friendly community it is. I've enjoyed rides out with numerous members on here and been given loads of helpful tips and hopefully dished some out too having owned each of the generations of the S1K.

I yes PM'd you and you explained your rationale - and I certainly didn't say I was happy with it - simply that because I was in no position to argue as you hold all the power, I replied by saying I wouldn't be re-subscribing by paying again on principle.

A couple of points:

i) You say that you honoured lifetime memberships for two years out of your own pocket and that I've not been asked to pay again - respectfully it's only a lost cost to you surely because the lifetime members are not paying subscriptions and therefore the forum is unable to profit from them - thats not really the same as funding our subscriptions out of your own pocket exactly - though I do appreciate they are sharing in some of the privileges already provided. If you take away their membership it allows the forum to profit from those members as they do have to pay again to get the privileges back which they perhaps in their minds feel they had paid for already.

ii) I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding offering lifetime membership - I was surprised it was offered for as long as it was because initially it was to help get members on the board and raise cash to develop the forum - something I'm sure we have all benefited from. Had the forum however e-mailed the lifetime members and explained the situation, I for one would have happily have donated some cash or to sustain the status of lifetime membership, set up a regular donation through paypal or direct debit. This isn't about money, its about having something taken away without communication or a conversation about finding a solution that suits everybody. (Anybody that knows me knows I'll do anything for anybody if its in my power and there is more than one person on here who in the six years I've been on the forum have been offered spares and accommodation when misfortune has struck out on group forum rides out.) Instead, without communication I log in to find I'm a standard member and yes it annoyed me as I hadn't been communicated with and my pledge hadn't been honoured and now yes, if I want to continue with threads and posts in premium areas I am being asked to pay again to do so.

On an aside I also have no problem or say in who else you offer lifetime membership to, but I hope you are able to acknowledge that it might appear a bit weird to someone who has had theirs taken away with not so much as an email or a PM to find that a couple of others seemingly still have theirs and are entitled to ask that question publicly on the forum without being replied to in a bit of crap tone?

No hard feelings Andy, I just think that if you change a groups conditions of access you should talk to them about it first - and prevented me for one feeling like they had been excluded and their contribution not valued.

Yours respectfully,

Nick

Riding
    S1000RR, 1299 Pan

Quote Originally Posted by soofsayer View Post
    Dear Nick,

Just seen this thread.

In the course of my business, It frustrates me when people use the social media/forum route prior to contacting us.

The OP didnít do that. He contacted admin first, and unhappy with the outcome eventually shared his frustrations & experience.

How does this differ from getting an unsatisfactory outcome (in the view of the complainant) from a dealer & sharing on this forum for members views?

Everybodyís opinion differs, personally, I agree with OP re communication & would feel the same.

Again, just an opinion, but I feel the reply from admin could have adopted a more gentle & professional tone.

There are enough aggressive & confrontational forums out there, the culture in an environment comes from the top.

On a final note, I feel the OPís reply was both polite & restrained.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosso For This Useful Post:

Riding
    motorsport colours

C'mon guys it's £20 over 2 years for a brilliantly run forum, the admin that run the forum give up a lot of there valuable time to keep this great community online. Theres more important things happening in the world than to worry about such a small amount imo for a brilliantly run and informative forum. I have made many friends on this forum on various meets and ride outs largely down to the guys that help to keep it going probably in there own time.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Budgie For This Useful Post: