Ron Haslam Race School

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the Premier and Elite courses many years ago and they were extremely good. You simply need to turn up and absolutely everything is provided. I chose to use my own race leathers and helmet though. The instruction is exceptionally good and if you are lucky one of the Haslams will be there. Watching either of them lap Donington Park is something special. It doesn?t matter if it?s your first time on track, or you are a seasoned racer, just turn up with an open mind and you will get a lot from it regardless of whether it?s wet or dry. That and you get to ride on one of the best circuits in the UK.

It's a bit of a factory approach, with a new class every couple of hours. You're only there for about 3 hours, with a couple of class/track rotations. The premier class is done on a cbr600rr, nice enough bike, but yours is better, would be nice to do it something you're familiar with, I thought.

It's a fun morning/afternoon, and the instructors are good, but I never bothered going back for the elite class and the fireblade. I preferred the setup at the Chris walker race school, even though Mallory Park is no comparison to Donny. However CW only did two classes per day and maybe that's why it doesn't exist any more and Ron's being going for years.

If Ron is there you have to pay for a pillion lap with him. Didn't do it myself, but my mates have said it was one of the most frightening things they've ever done, he goes so fast...

I did the 600 day last year, what an absolute load of shite and probably the worst money I've spent in recent times.

The first bike I got on had loose bolts in the top yoke so I took one of them out and took it to the 'instructor' with a confused look on my face.
They are nowhere near full power, the 'instructor' was on a VFR800 and was pulling away with ease on the straights.
It was raining on the day I did which does put a downer on it but even so I could have walked faster than we rode around most corners.
Barely any time on track, I bet I did about 10 laps total.
Far too many people, there was about 40 people on track between 'instructors' and riders, all bunched up and it was well organised as to which group overtook who at certain points on each lap, like synchronised riding.
My 'instructor' was nervous and barely wanted to talk to us.

Overall it's a 'track experience' not a race school, I feel quite strongly on this subject!

Thanks for the honest review.

I think 1-2-1 is the way forwards.
Notsofast
Mike Spike Edwards
Nemomoto
Motovudu

- Alex

Just read this review after booking the premier plus and flights across earlier today :confusion:

To be fair I’ve heard a load of good reports also, so will update accordingly after I’ve done it on 1st May.
Have done trackdays before, but last one ended with me coming off at 120mph and going for a long slide up the track/kerb/grass, so just want a bit of confidence back before taking the RR on track really.

Just read this review after booking the premier plus and flights across earlier today :confusion:

To be fair I?ve heard a load of good reports also, so will update accordingly after I?ve done it on 1st May.
Have done trackdays before, but last one ended with me coming off at 120mph and going for a long slide up the track/kerb/grass, so just want a bit of confidence back before taking the RR on track really.
I hope you have a great experience.
Whilst i think 1-2-1 is best, any tuition should benefit.

- Alex

I hope you have a great experience.
Whilst i think 1-2-1 is best, any tuition should benefit.

- Alex

Cheers Alex. The first trackday I done I was out with Jeremy McWilliams and Gino Rea and ended up getting a couple of private laps where it was just me followed them and we left the group behind. That was great for learning things like lines and body position! Think that’s all I need again, someone to show me not to be afraid and once it clicks again I’ll be fine.

Just itching to get the RR on track but don’t want to bin it ffs

Just to update this I went over yesterday to do the Premier Plus and had a great time! In total I got 1hr 15min on track, with only a few brief pit stops inbetween for extra advice etc. Wasn’t counting but I reckon there can’t have been much less than 30 laps done.

Instruction was brilliant, bikes were first class and in my opinion the whole day was well worth the trip across for. Lost my knee down virginity at Melbourne Hairpin, and then also tucked the front end and dropped the bike on 2nd to last lap ffs, still no idea how I managed it as I wasn’t on the brakes. Regardless, out of 13 I scored the highest marks of the day at 97.5%, even taking the fall into account ;)

Will definitely go back for the Elite day at some point!

Just to update this I went over yesterday to do the Premier Plus and had a great time! In total I got 1hr 15min on track, with only a few brief pit stops inbetween for extra advice etc. Wasn?t counting but I reckon there can?t have been much less than 30 laps done.

Instruction was brilliant, bikes were first class and in my opinion the whole day was well worth the trip across for. Lost my knee down virginity at Melbourne Hairpin, and then also tucked the front end and dropped the bike on 2nd to last lap ffs, still no idea how I managed it as I wasn?t on the brakes. Regardless, out of 13 I scored the highest marks of the day at 97.5%, even taking the fall into account ;)

Will definitely go back for the Elite day at some point!

Sounds like you had a great time and knee down cherry sorted too! Where did you tuck the front then? Better on their bike rather than yours..

Sounds like you had a great time and knee down cherry sorted too! Where did you tuck the front then? Better on their bike rather than yours..

Had a great time yes, well worth the flight over. Lost the front at Melbourne ffs, done something to my ankle, nothing major and the bike was pretty much fine.

I think the 1 to 1 instruction is the way to go after reading the above comments. Honestly could’ve stayed out for over an hour without pitting had I have wanted to. Plus the wee bike was fine and could have passed the instructor on the VFR a few times going up the straight.

Back