new member :)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poocatl

Reaction score
hi All,

New member here, thought id introduce myself say a little about me and why ive joined.

Simply love motorbikes, had a good few of the common super bikes over the last 10 years, raced and R6 with BEMSEE for 3 years and then thought i should slow down and build a cafe race (CB750). Finished the build and realized i missed the speed of a sports bike so decided a BMW S1000RR is what i need :D

Was looking at a 2012 onward, ive been trying to work out if i would actually get any benefit from the later gen 3 bike over the gen 2, i plan to do a good few track days and a little bit of modification, mainly around suspension and a full exhaust / remap.
Anyway lots of reading to do :)

Pete

Sounds like you have plenty of experience to bring to the forum too! Welcome!

thanks,
im happy to share all my experience with the forum, most of it is around how one can cable tie fairings back together and still pass scrutineering :S hahaha

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.

The gen 3 bikes are more road user friendly with the ddc and cruise control. If you are after a trackbike and will be changing the suspension and engine tune, the only significant difference is the blipper, which as you will know can also be added. I think if the saving is significant I would look at the gen2 and spend some of the saving on the modifications.

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.

The gen 3 bikes are more road user friendly with the ddc and cruise control. If you are after a trackbike and will be changing the suspension and engine tune, the only significant difference is the blipper, which as you will know can also be added. I think if the saving is significant I would look at the gen2 and spend some of the saving on the modifications.

Good info thanks, some how i missed the gen 3 having cruise control, do many people actually use this feature?

Good info thanks, some how i missed the gen 3 having cruise control, do many people actually use this feature?

Yes I believe so. I have it on my GSA and it is useful at times for road riding. Not sure what good it would be down Bentley :).

Dont forget about resale values as well - you'll probably get more for the gen-3 depending on your target audience.

I use my cruise control reasonably often as I use the bike instead of the car - i.e. not just for blowing the cobwebs away. If I've got to get somewhere quick I'll use the motorways (as my square rear tyre will testify to) and hence the cruise comes in useful especially through the average speed camera sections.

Oh, and welcome :)

Welcome to the forum Pete!

I agree with soofsayer re Gen 2 vs Gen 3, if it?s a track bike first and foremost I think a case can be made for the Gen 2.
However, if it?s for the road or for duel duty I would recommend a Gen 3 for the additional tech, refinement and resale value as FreudianSlip points out.

I have a Gen 3 and use the cruise control fairly often too.

Enjoy the forum, there is a wonderful community on here as you?re no doubt already realising and loads of information.
I hope you find your ideal RR soon and that you have many happy and exciting miles ahead of you [emoji4]

Oli

Hi Pete, welcome to the site, think there are a couple of ex-racers on here. Hope you enjoy the banter and knowledge on here of which I'm sure you can add to.

Good luck in your search.

JimmyMac

really surprised how welcoming every one is :D , makes a nice change over the car forum i used to use :)

really surprised how welcoming every one is :D , makes a nice change over the car forum i used to use :)

Best part of motorcycling, is the community, and we are very lucky to have a fantastic community on here [emoji4]

Besides, everything is better on two wheels [emoji6]

Hi Pete, also race with Bemsee (although pick and choose nowadays ) had a gen 3 which was stock apart from de-cat. Definitely more refined with the electronics and sooooo much easier to adjust between wet/dry/indifferent days

Love that bike poocati. Always been a bit nervous about how I would be with clip ons so low. What is it like to ride about on?

Love that bike poocati. Always been a bit nervous about how I would be with clip ons so low. What is it like to ride about on?

well its very loud and turns heads everywhere i go, but its actually very uncomfortable to ride and handles terribly lol :S the shocks are valved / built for the weight of the bike but it is basically an old rubbish steel frame with poor geometry. But its good fun to take down south end on a sunday afternoon :) ow and only does 85 mph flat out

Back