TGP e-Throttle 2015+ Group Buy

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e-Throttle

The link below is to the alpha Racing e-Throttle fitting instructions. It states that you require the use of an RCK3 and that it?s not compatible with the OEM clip-ons and switchgear. I suspect that whilst TGP produce the alpha Racing unit it will have been built to a different specification like many of the latters bespoke race parts. When I looked at buying an alpha Racing e-Throttle last season, and spoke to them directly, they simply stated that it was ?Plug & Play? without the need for additional parts, clip-ons or calibration. The TGP version looks to be the original e-Throttle model whereas the alpha Racing version has evolved based on their requirements and specification. In that respect the TGP version looks to be the easier option when it comes to installation.

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/a...ting instruction e-throttle s1000rr 2015-.pdf

Re: e-Throttle

The link below is to the alpha Racing e-Throttle fitting instructions. It states that you require the use of an RCK3 and that it?s not compatible with the OEM clip-ons and switchgear. I suspect that whilst TGP produce the alpha Racing unit it will have been built to a different specification like many of the latters bespoke race parts. When I looked at buying an alpha Racing e-Throttle last season, and spoke to them directly, they simply stated that it was ?Plug & Play? without the need for additional parts, clip-ons or calibration. The TGP version looks to be the original e-Throttle model whereas the alpha Racing version has evolved based on their requirements and specification. In that respect the TGP version looks to be the easier option when it comes to installation.

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/a...ting instruction e-throttle s1000rr 2015-.pdf

Hopefully.

e-Throttle

Fingers crossed you should be absolutely fine. Ride-by-wire is great but it?s definitely a limiting factor when it comes to quick action throttles. I am extremely tempted to buy an e-Throttle as it just makes so much sense for track use. I?m just loathed to buy anymore parts for my bike in lieu of the new S1000RR being released next year.

Is the group buy off now or can we still get discount with the numbers still interested?

Is the group buy off now or can we still get discount with the numbers still interested?
We cant get 10 people for 20% or 5 for 10% as some will only do the 20% deal.

So yes if you want one its individual orders it seems. [emoji21]

- Alex

From Tom @TGP

? Hello Deebo,

yes they fit on the OE handlebar, but not when you use the OE steering switches, because the handlebars to short and also to pull tight the switches are very difficult.

Normally yes, they is plug & play, but for safe its good, when you teach the throttle.

For that you need the Race Calibration Kit or the GS 911.

Delete all Adaption?s and teach it new, so it is 100% that the throttle goes open 100% when you turn full throttle.?

e-Throttle

From reading that your BMW dealership should be able to reset the throttle adaption for you especially if you can do it just by using a GS-911. This negates the requirement for an RCK3. The only issue is you may need to buy aftermarket switchgear. Generally speaking the only switchgear that you will find for the throttle side is a Kill Switch/Starter unit. This is problematic as it would eliminate the Heated Grips and Mode buttons found on the OEM switchgear. It also means you would have to change the left switchgear as well for functionality. If however you want to try and retain the OEM switchgear then you may want to consider buying a set of aftermarket clip-ons as they tend to be longer to give you more leverage. This may give you the extra length needed to fit the e-Throttle.

Jesus, sorry you're guinea-pigging this for us.
PnP - except you need longer clipons/other switch gear and access to calibration software...so it's NOT PnP...it just has a plug which fits the OEM socket. Sigh.

I've got some Renthal's I intended to use with the TGP, but they don't actually seem longer than stock. @baz or @oli are the Gen3's any longer in practical application.

.... @baz or @oli are the Gen3's any longer in practical application.

IMO no, as the Gen 3 bars screw in to the clip-on there is no length adjustment.

ecbb9ed488e73296f29532616d6a6b75.jpg

Photo of my right side clip-on with OEM switchgear in place

e-Throttle

If it helps I?ve just read through the alpha Racing e-Throttle instructions again and it clearly states that resetting the throttle adaption can be done via BMW ISTA/P. This means your BMW dealership can do it for you.

IMO no, as the Gen 3 bars screw in to the clip-on there is no length adjustment.

Photo of my right side clip-on with OEM switchgear in place

But there is some additional length to use. It could all shift left if needs be.

Clearance

Would this not cause clearance issues if you are still using the OEM fairings?

Re: alpha Racing

The tubes for my alpha Racing clip-ons are 270 mm.

Its odd that Renthal don't offer different lengths, the positioning is different so 270 would be ridiculous, but just 15mm more (~235mm) as an option would be handy.

Unless I've missed the tube length options for Gen3 clip-ons somewhere.

alpha Racing

The alpha Racing clip-ons use retractable clamps as opposed to screwing the tubes in directly as found on the Renthal clip-ons. It just means you have a little more flexibility in terms of length adjustment if you opt for the alpha Racing clip-ons.

Re: alpha Racing

But there is some additional length to use. It could all shift left if needs be.

I believe the same can be said for the OEM clip-ons (there?s a slight gap on the right side bar).
If the question is are the Gen 3 bars longer than OEM, I still believe the answer is no.

Would this not cause clearance issues if you are still using the OEM fairings?

Not if you have bump-stops appropriately fitted to ensure sufficient clearance.
I?ve had no issues with my setup, however there is a penalty in reduced steering lock.

Its odd that Renthal don't offer different lengths, the positioning is different so 270 would be ridiculous, but just 15mm more (~235mm) as an option would be handy.

Unless I've missed the tube length options for Gen3 clip-ons somewhere.

To my knowledge there aren?t different length tubes on the Gen 3?s.
As Ryan says Alpha Racing, Gen 1/2 Renthal?s and the majority of other race clip-ons have an in front of fork clamp mount for the bars, which allows you to select from a range of bar lengths

e-Throttle

It?s a shame you have to go through so much effort just to fit what is essentially a very expensive quick action throttle.

e-Throttle

I?m surprised BMW don?t offer one in their HP parts catalogue. That said it would probably be horrifically expensive if they did!

Would prefer to keep the standard OE switch gear if I?m honest, so will look into clip ons with a bit more length.

But if that turns into a long winded option I may have to go ahead & locate some appropriate switch gear.

i did like the look of the switch gear above for left & right, anybody know where these can be purchased?

Back