James Whitham Trackday @ Knockhill

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a JW day at croft a couple of years ago. It is very relaxed with low numbers, I would certainly go on another, JW and the rest of the pro riders are great company and very helpful. You will have a great day.

Really looking forward to it, but need to get some fairings (mainly to avoid scratching the originals in the van) and some carbon frame covers ordered for the bike now. As well as a decent ramp so I can get the bike in and out the van on my own.

Hoping it will give me the confidence to start doing a few trackday a year.

Trackday

If it's your first trackday I wouldn't bother with the expense of buying race fairings. If you load the bike securely in the van your highly unlikely to scratch or damage the OEM fairings.

Re: Trackday

Your completely right! Am hoping I might find some cheap 2nd hand plastics. I messaged somone on here that was selling fairings a few months ago, to see if he still has them.

What would everyone recomend to prepare for starting out with trackdays?

I have had the suspension set up by Eddie (he based at knockhill) for the road. I hope that will be adequate for now.

Bike has rad guard and r&g bungs on frame and both axles. I have a set of low profile bungs as well, I'm undecided as to which to use for trackday.

Also have a set of gb casing covers to fit, when I get home from work.

I'm going to order some full six frame covers as well, mainly for the blind, but practice as well in the event of any misshaps.

Any advice from you guys with experience will be appreciated.

Trackday

For your first trackday just turn up with an open mind, be willing to learn and accept that your not Valentino Rossi. Relax; spend time learning the racing line; use the instructors and above all else just enjoy yourself. There is nothing more to it than that.

Your completely right! Am hoping I might find some cheap 2nd hand plastics. I messaged somone on here that was selling fairings a few months ago, to see if he still has them.

What would everyone recomend to prepare for starting out with trackdays?
I have had the suspension set up by Eddie (he based at knockhill) for the road. I hope that will be adequate for now.
Bike has rad guard and r&g bungs on frame and both axles. I have a set of low profile bungs as well, I'm undecided as to which to use for trackday.
Also have a set of gb casing covers to fit, when I get home from work.
I'm going to order some full six frame covers as well, mainly for the blind, but practice as well in the event of any misshaps.

You've got it all covered. It's a fast road, with no oil/gravel/potholes/lamp posts, treat it as such. Follow the tutor rider you're paired with and on the sighting laps really study the lines they take. Replicate and add speed over and over. Build slowly. Have fun.

I enjoyed my JW day. A lot of racers use them for the low numbers. So I'd go in novice.

Thanks for the advice guys. The low numbers is one of the big selling points, to try building up my confidence.

Next thing i need to look at is tyres. K3's on the bike at the moment, but they will be quite worn by the time July comes about. Need to do a bit of reading up on what to go for. Had been thinking power RS's, or M7RR's, to cover both wet and dry use.

Hopefully there might be some others from the forum will book it closer to the time, would be good to put faces to names

The Power RS is quite susceptible to cold tear on a cold track. But is very stable tyre with good grip.

The K3's would do fine and are a tyre you already know, there's something to be said for reducing variables.

The M7RR's and Diablo Rosso 3's will be very good and possibly better for your normal climate.

The Power RS is quite susceptible to cold tear on a cold track. But is very stable tyre with good grip.

The K3's would do fine and are a tyre you already know, there's something to be said for reducing variables.

The M7RR's and Diablo Rosso 3's will be very good and possibly better for your normal climate.

I've got no complaints about the K3's. Its just that they will be pretty well used by the summer (I hope!), and looking to get something that I'd have a bit more trust in when its raining. I would be quite wary of riding fast in the wet on them.
Main reason that i was thinking the Power RS is I know a man that should be able to get me a good deal on a pair of them. I've heard very little negatives about the M7rr, so may end up just going with a pair of these. I havent read up on the Rosso 3's, so that may be some bedtime reading for me in the morning.

R3's are essentially the M7RR with a nicer (IMO) tread pattern and possible some other small tweaks, they are newer so I would expect them to be 'better'.

The Power RS's I had only suffered when the track was <15degrees, I didn't warm them up suitably. They are impressive though and turn really predictable.

These come out this year - they promise to be similar to the K3 in focus but with 3+ years of knowledge added. I am very interested in trying this tyre after the NC500.
DIABLO ROSSO? CORSA II
https://www.fwr.co.uk/product/pirelli-rosso-corsa-2

Last edited:

Don't hit the kerb at the end of the main straight at 135MPH, I have a video of a long haired member of this forum doing that on his 6 day old bike (2012 S1000rr), never dropped it though but went cross country for quite a bit before rejoining at Scotsman corner. I remember after it an instructor asked me where my braking marker was and I replied "what the f13ks that?'

Had a good time but no really my thing, will come along to see you though Kenny be good to put a face to a name.

JimmyMac

All good advice. When I talk to friends that have never been on track, they say that they're worried they haven't got the speed. I try to instill in them that the track is actually a very much safer road to hone riding skills. Speed is irrelevant, it's just a bi product of better, safer riding whilst raising your vision and awareness.
Very rare that you will find a fast (no brain) road rider will be good on track, even TT riders...
Ride within your own limits, listen to instructors ( 'cos that's what you paid for) and enjoy the day, after all that's why we do it lol

For your first trackday just turn up with an open mind, be willing to learn and accept that your not Valentino Rossi. Relax; spend time learning the racing line; use the instructors and above all else just enjoy yourself. There is nothing more to it than that.
+1, Excellent advice..

Keep Relaxed and loose at all times, if you find yourself getting tight/tense slow up a bit its not a Race. Being tense will tire you.

Have a great day.

What an absolute belter of a day. Some top level racers instructing, and other that first session of the day the track was dry, and weather was roasting.

I think its fair to say I'm hooked, need to look at dates to get another day or 2 booked.

2nd session of the day, got a bit corky, and forgot Jimmy's advice, and over cooked it a bit on the straight, and ran out of track to slow down into turn 1. Managed to let go of brakes, and rejoined the track having avoided turns 1 and 2. No damage, and made me wind it down a notch to concentrate on learning the track and what lines to try and take.
Plenty photos to follow

Back