Touring helmets

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I?m in the market for a touring lid and would appreciate any recommendations and/or features that you value in a good ?road? helmet.

The helmet needs intercom speaker cutouts and ideally is as light weight as possible.

What do we think of drop-down internal visors and/or modular options?

I?m thinking either a Scheuberth S2, or the new AGV Sport Modular could be good options.
I need something with a fairly round head shape, I find Shoei for example typically too narrow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice :)

Oli

Hey everyone,

I?m in the market for a touring lid and would appreciate any recommendations and/or features that you value in a good ?road? helmet.

The helmet needs intercom speaker cutouts and ideally is as light weight as possible.

What do we think of drop-down internal visors and/or modular options?

I?m thinking either a Scheuberth S2, or the new AGV Sport Modular could be good options.
I need something with a fairly round head shape, I find Shoei for example typically too narrow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice :)

Oli

Oli, I have a Schuberth S2 that you could try on the NC500 trip mate, I'm guessing it might be a bit big for you as it is 60/61 but you are welcome to give it a whirl before you buy one. I find Schuberths and BMW helmets fit me best as I have a big German box head, lol. AGV was the worst for fit in my case, left my forehead corners quite sore, haha.

All my helmets are as clean as I bought them as I never put one on without a balaclava and are regularly cleaned and deodorised so no worries about my nit problem becoming yours..........

Drop down sunglasses on the S2 and BMW System 6 are fantastic when touring or in a low sun evening.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I?d recommend drop down internal visor as a desired option for a touring helmet. Can?t comment on the helmets as I have a shoei head :).

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro (old man's lid) which has a flip up chin. I got it because it's the quietest lid on the market (apparently) and for years couldn't wear ear plugs (now sorted thanks to Jimmy), but it really is very comfy and quiet. You can keep it on going to pay for petrol but it's not allowed on track days as it doesn't have a gold sticker.
Annoying thing: Coz I'm tall I keep trashing the visor on petrol station door heads; replacements aint cheap.
Funny thing: Since getting the BMW, when I wear the C3 I notice other bikers slow down when they see me; it's either coz I like a plain clothes copper or more likely their dad.

Thank you for your feedback guys [emoji4]

@JimmyMac thank you very much for the kind offer Jimmy, but the only problem is I want to purchase a helmet well in time for the NC500, so as to install my intercom and test it all throughly before the trip.
I?m surprised you?ve not gelled with AGV for fit, whilst I?ve only tried the Pista GP generation of their helmets, I?ve found them to be rather accommodating to the rounder head shape.
Scheuberth surprised me, as they are extremely difficult to get on due to the narrow opening, but once on not bad at all lol. I?m sure there?s a joke in their somewhere lol [emoji6]

@Huge yea I?ve heard Scheuberth make the quietest lids, this is very appealing as my go-to lid is the AGV Pista GP-R which has to be the nosiest helmet on the market lol.
Do you find you use the flip-up function often? I never take my helmet off when paying for petrol, always winds me up when I see the signs to take it off.

@soofsayer do you still carry a second visor when using a helmet with a drop down sun-visor?

After reading your suggestions guys, it?s reinforcing my current options of Scheuberth S2 vs AGV Sport Modular.
Drop down visor is now mandatory, modular is still questionable

Is this for use on your s thou, reason I ask is shuberth?s sit low on my head and when I?m grasping the clip ons I can see bugger all without breaking my neck.
Maybe it?s my Neanderthal forehead!

I have a shoei flip lid, of course I do I own a GS. The drop down sunglasses inside are very useful, and although its illegal, its nice to ride with the shades down and the lid up on hot sunny days around town. I do like the convenience of the flip top lid being able to open it when sat in traffic when its hot, or to fill up, grab a drink etc. On my travels last year I had a waterbottle on the rhs of the bike so I could flick into cruise, pop my helmet up, and have a nice drink on the go.

With my shark helmet it is a full face one with integrated sun visor, but I also use a dark tint visor. So when I need some air I open the main visor and drop the ‘glasses’ lol.

I use the flip up when riding in town or riding slowly on a hot day, plus when talking to people. I lift the lid in a shop as a courtesy.
Dark visors look cool and used to be fine, but most people's eyesight starts to deteriorate in their mid forties and so the flexibility of visor, integral sun visor, flip up is useful to me now.
I don't give a f**k about looking cool any more, which helps with a C3. Schuberth do some very nice looking sports lids.
-
+1 on Soof's comments.

Last edited:
Cheers for the additional information @soofsayer and @Huge
I?m now swaying towards the flexibility of a modular ...

@edzt yes this is to be used exclusively on an RR, this is a valid point you raise about the cut of the helmet.
From what I?ve seen/read about the AGV, it seems to be quite a sporty modular option, so I am sure it?ll be fully compatible with an aero hump and provide a sufficient aperture for use on a sport bike

Last edited:
Hi Oli, while my Shark Race R pro carbon is a 'race helmet', its very quiet, very comfortable, has cut outs for ear pieces (have an intercom in mine), you can easily wear sunglasses with a clear visor while touring but you can also change the visor in seconds - if it fits your head head then they're currently available with big discounts from Sportsbikeshop. I also own an Arai tour X4 that I used on my GSA's, very roomy and great visibility but not as quiet as my Shark and you start to get buffeting above 90mph if you use on a sports bike...

Hi Oli, while my Shark Race R pro carbon is a 'race helmet', its very quiet, very comfortable, has cut outs for ear pieces (have an intercom in mine), you can easily wear sunglasses with a clear visor while touring but you can also change the visor in seconds - if it fits your head head then they're currently available with big discounts from Sportsbikeshop. I also own an Arai tour X4 that I used on my GSA's, very roomy and great visibility but not as quiet as my Shark and you start to get buffeting above 90mph if you use on a sports bike...

Hi Mac,

Thank you for making me aware of this, I?m going to have to try these three brands/models on back-to-back in order to compare the fit and weight differential.
I would always value a lighter and quieter helmet over a drop down visor and/or modular, so I certainly wouldn?t be opposed to another ?race? helmet if it ticks the intercom box.

Many thanks again,

Oli

Last edited:
Drop down visor is now mandatory, modular is still questionable

Worth a thought, I ride with a photochromic pinlock insert, and my missus uses a full photochromic visor. (We both have x-spirit 3 lids and Shoei call the technology ProtecTINT) Both are clear during normal light, but tint "just enough" to take the glare out in the sun. Dont expect them to go black but they are good enough. Means you can ride with any helmet, not worry about sacrificing safety, and no need to carry spare visor.... Not cheap but worth thinking about.

Last edited:
Just to update the thread and say thanks again everyone for your suggestions and information, it?s been very helpful indeed!

After literally hours and hours at J&S Accessories in Braintree (excellent service as always, highly recommended) trying on what seemed like every helmet in the shop lol, I?ve ended up purchasing a Schuberth C4.

The AGV Sport Modular is a narrower aka more intermediate oval head shape then the Pista GP/R. Furthermore, whilst it?s a light weight and attractive looking helmet, the chin strap is positioned too far back so you feel pressure on your throat, if you then angle it further away at the internal hinges you get strong pressure points on your jaw line. I really wanted to like this helmet, but it?s just not the finished article.

I found the Schuberth C3 Basic to be the best fitting helmet I?ve ever tried, is a true round-oval internal shape. I found the S2 Sport to be slightly more intermediate-oval i.e. slightly more room around the forehead, with the C4 being somewhere between the two, however, what sealed the deal for the C4 was its USP, the Sena SC1 intercom.
It?s ?fully? integrated, so no boom or wired mikes in the chin area, no installation required except plugging in the intercom module and battery (there are two discrete boxes at the base of the helmet where the intercom modules click in, literally takes 1 minute max).
With all the hassle and ultimate failure I?ve had trying to satisfactorily install an intercom in the Pista GP-R, I decided to spend the extra coin and go for the C4 and SC1 setup, as I literally felt the frustrations fade away lol.

Oh and interestingly, I tried on the Schuberth R2, which, according to Revzilla is a round-oval head shape, but I found it to be one of the most uncomfortable helmets I?ve ever worn. Tired it three times and immediately felt discomfort at the sides of my head. Perhaps it was an incorrect size and I hadn?t noticed ...

Good write up Oli, are you wearing it on the NC run?

JimmyMac

Thank you Jimmy, I shall indeed be wearing it on the NC500. Was starting to panic as at one point had no bike, no progress with helmets and no textiles.
All that?s left now is the textiles lol.

I?ve ordered the C4 in gloss black, should arrive Tuesday/Wednesday. Will post in the ?what did you get in the post today? thread in due course.

The only way to get the right helmet is to forget brands, colours and features and find the once that fits your head like a glove then worry about that other stuff. Pleased you got what you wanted Oli :)

Last edited:
Nice one Oli. Related question, does anyone have a cheap go to place for replacement visors and pinlocks? Very salty replacement cost on my C3 Pro. Cheers, Hugh

Back