Cat temperature

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guys anyone know how hot a cat gets Im looking at spraying it matt black with heat resistant spray.I have seen one in an aerosol form but it states up to 650 degrees and Im sure it runs hotter than that.

They start working at 450c no idea how hot it will get though.

I would suggest against painting it though.

Problem is the surface temp of the can is lower than the operating temp of the cat itself. Cat internals could easily be 750+ but the surface could be 200.

Really you need to get an IR temp reading after running around at a decent lick.

- Alex

Thanks guys starting to look like leaving it alone is the wisest option can't go down the de_cat route under warranty.[emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

Why not?

If you wish to de-cat the bike I would recommend installing a full-system of your choosing and a fuel module.
This does not invalidate your warranty, as in the event of a major engine warranty claim the bike could be returned to stock, so long as you have an untampered OEM system in the garage.

Alternatively, you could purchase an Illmberger belly pan extended to cover the collector box

Not sure if they fit but I bought a set of 2015 headers (?100) and had them de-catted (?50) just by replacing them with straight tubes. That way you get to keep the flap for noise testing and oe outlet for cans. Along with a PCV it's a lot cheaper than buying a full system with the same outcome

Tried a whole myriad of super high temp paints when I decatted my R1, every single one of them failed after a short time, would think you would need some sort of ceramic coating if you want it to last.

Back