Bike not turning off

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon all.
Dropped off my bike at the garage after it wouldn't switch off, BMW are replacing the ignition barrel replaced warranty.
FYI: When I turned the key to off, the bike kept running and would only stop on the kill switch; the lights and dash stayed on even with the key out. Had to disconnect the battery to power down the bike.
I'm sure I've seen this issue on this forum before but I can't find it (I'd like to follow the other person up and see what happened). Did any of you guys post it or help me find the thread.
Cheers, H

You can short the pins into the flat black unit on the clocks side of the ignition to get the same behaviour. Deffo a warranty job on a young bike.
It's the ignition ring I think.

Had an issue with ignition over the last few days... when turn the ignition either on or of, the rotation is VERY stiff.... I thought about using graphite powder or WD40. The barrel only ever gets when when being washed.... any suggestions please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graphite powder is supposedly the best as doesn?t clog up the barrel over time, nor make the key oily.

I?ve always used GT85 though very sparingly after every wash and, thouch wood, has kept things working well so far

I use a soft drawing pencil and rub it against the rough edge of the key, then gently ease the little pile of dust into the barrel. Prevention is better than cure, so do it every now and again regardless. The problem with anything wet, is that grime sticks to it making it worse in the long run. The worse advice I ever had was to run your key over the chain before you out it into the barrell every time you start up..

It was me with the issue with the bike not turning off - I did have a youtube vid of it somewhere.. Was proper weird.

BMW took the bike for a week or so (they picked it up and dropped it off again) as they had to wait for things to be delivered from Germany. Coding various parts to other things was needed (so I'm told). Was all fairly painless on my side, except being without a bike for the duration - I should have asked them to drop me a loaner off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kVbdEpIzk

It was me with the issue with the bike not turning off - I did have a youtube vid of it somewhere.. Was proper weird.
BMW took the bike for a week or so (they picked it up and dropped it off again) as they had to wait for things to be delivered from Germany. Coding various parts to other things was needed (so I'm told). Was all fairly painless on my side, except being without a bike for the duration - I should have asked them to drop me a loaner off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kVbdEpIzk

Thanks Freudy. Mine's exactly the same and sounds like BMW are doing the same fix here. Cheers, H

Not switching off when I take out the key. It’s booked in for a 12 service tomorrow so I’ve added that to the list of things for them to look at, which also now includes an intermittently failing main beam switch. Bike is still under warranty so will see what they say...
Chandlers BMW are replacing something other than the barrel (ie. key stays the same) under warranty. Alex mentioned a "ring" which sounds familiar. The parts take a week to arrive. H

Quick update... call from Pidcock?s today and mine is the same deal. Coded parts required from factory so I?m without until Thursday. In the meantime they?ve learnt me a GS. Sounds like a fairly common issue then with more examples appearing...

Yes but 7 working days to get the part in apparently. Anyone got any hot fixes for this issue? W/o taking battery out all the time

Last edited:
Yep it?s a pain but better now than after the warranty has run out. Get them to give you a loaner for the week and have a thrash on something different. You know the fastest Bike on the planet don?t you..... a loaner!

Going to clean the key up, Ideally don't want a loaner as wanted to go on the ride out on the 15th : <

Back