18k Service Next Month

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that english pounds or scottish? [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is that english pounds or scottish? [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Imagine if Scotsman was to refuse to take an English note, he would be burned at the stake for being a loony.

I remember being at Rochester a few years back before an event at Brands Hatch I ordered and paid a round of drinks at a bar that came to ?18 odds, the barman returned a few seconds later and handed me the ?20 note back and said "We don't accept Scottish money" I laughed at him as he looked at the bar with 5 empty tumblers on it and said "Fair enough, mate, thanks for the drinks" and we all walked out. Really don't understand the mentality, I accept Scottish, English, IOM, Bank of Ulster its all Sterling.

If any of the southern members on here have any I give you 80p in the pound for them, lol.

JimmyMac

Sometimes it pays to be a charmer/chancer, lol.

0dd8d5b847ad926ce4bfff50a218ebd6.jpg

JimmyMac

Paid 0.00 ... Yeah, that sounds about right ;)

Imagine if Scotsman was to refuse to take an English note, he would be burned at the stake for being a loony.
JimmyMac

I used to work for the Clydesdale Bank, and whilst there I did the Institute of Bankers exams. One of the things I learned on that (but might slightly mis-remember here...) is the following. Scottish notes are not 'legal tender' even in Scotland, although the phrase legal tender is misused (B of E notes aren't legal tender in Scotland either, I don't think we have that concept in Scotland). Scottish notes are valid currency in Scotland, but not in England, so that's why Englanders can refuse them. English banks lost their right to issue notes when some enterprising businessmen fronted by Scots set up a company called "The Bank of England" to raise money for a war with France, and exclusive note issue in England was part of the deal they won with the king.

In the summers I always remember people coming in for their holiday pay around the Glasgow Fair - we knew many would be going to Blackpool, Scarborough etc, so it was standard practice to special order lots of English notes for them. The more stubborn customers would refuse these and take Clydesdale notes, for the most Scottish of reasons - they wanted to have the fight if someone tried to refuse them!

...and the last inconsistency.... our new notes were made in England... I once helped take ?21m in brand spanking new notes off a lorry from Newcastle and place them in the safe at Head Office, that worked up a sweat..

I'll second Jimmy's deal for me...spot on.. just over 400 quid. Unfortunately I was to take the bike in the day after i got them damn blood clots in my lungs.

So my bikes still not had the "big service".. with one thing and another i.e recovery period and getting back to work (if your reading this and self employed you will know what I mean) I've arranged Dalkeith to come pick it up.. their doing the same deal for ?525.00..at least I won't have to take the bike to Dundee.

Initially Dalkeith were something like 700 quid...but reduced it significantly to try retain my business.... Jimmy's deal for me at Dundee certainly helped...

?400?! I have mine in at Dalkeith BMW for it's 18k service just now, and they are charging ?750. Now wanting around ?2k for service plus front brake Pads, front wheel bearings, set of tyres, rear cush driver, sump replacement and head bearings :distrust: Only bought the bike last year too, from Pidcocks BMW. Although I guess it's all just wear and tear, gone through two sets of tyres in a year :apathy:
Going to have to call around tomorrow.

I would love to see how they change the fork oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean Kyle, love to see how they change the fork oil?
You're in the game! Do you know something we don't?[emoji853]

I would just be interested to see how they?re doing it for ?60 or whatever it is , whether they?re doing it properly by having the forks out of the bike and stripped and all the old oil bled out of the cartridge properly the flushed before putting the new oil in. If they?re that far in why not do the seals for the sake of ?15 - ?20

I know of certain Dealers who don?t even remove the fork, they remove the top cap and then just suck the oil out using a small bore tube onto a vacccum pump , doing it this way your only removing roughly 50% of the oil and is just wrong in my eyes.

So I?d be interested to see how BMW are doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle, I don't kow the techniclities of the fork oil changing but I will ask the Tech. the next time I'm there.

FWIW I noticed a hell of an improvement when they did mine, was like new again.

JimmyMac

Thats mine away in today Jimmy..they came through in the van and picked up my bike... I'll ask the fork oil question see if they sook the oil out or strip them down and as Kyle says remove all the oil.

Kind of thinking for 60 bangers they might just sook out and top up...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm in Dundee later today so I might nip in and stick an Arbroath Smokie behind your radiator for you.

#honkinminge

JimmyMac

Back