My PhD

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Oli... a Phd is at a different level.....

Hope it's worth it for your pocket too with a salary increase after all that graft..

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you all again for your very kind words, it really does mean ever such a lot [emoji4]

@stuartb ?a? salary would be a great start lol.
My bike is literally running on enthusiasm at the moment!

Well yesterday was a good day, as it was both my PhD Graduation ceremony and my Birthday, double bloody wammy! [emoji41]

The School of Biological Sciences (where I?ve been based) were the last to graduate this year, so the ceremony didn?t start until 4 pm.
Although I?ve graduated from the University of Essex previously, some 5 years ago now after completing my BSc, and although I felt as cool as ice prior to the ceremony, the pre-match jitters started to build as we were all seated in the lecture theatre. What didn?t help matters was that it was boiling hot and I was in pole position, so first in line to actually ?graduate?!
The proceedings are essentially as follows, some blah blah blah from someone I can?t remember, then a speech from the Chancellor who officially starts the ceremony, followed by a bit more blah blah blah from the Head of Department, before the graduands go up for a hand shake.

Anyway, a new Chancellor was appointed recently, and it was none other than the Right Honourable John Bercow MP, the speaker of the House of Commons.
He was a real character and actually makes for a very good Chancellor. He opened up the ceremony by saying ?order! Order!!!! Followed by lots of, you guessed it, blah blah blah about how amazing the Uni is.

So, back to proceedings, when the Head of Department is saying his speech, my apprehension is building as they?re all talking about the actual graduation starting and we?re all still sat at the back of the lecture theatre. It just feels wrong, like you?re in the wrong place lol.
Anyway, after what seems like an age goes by, an attendant lets me know the route to follow and what I should bring (ticket with name on it, and hat).

So, I?m at the front of the line, you get told what to do by another attendant, as a PhD graduate you give them your hat and by this point I?m stressing thinking this is worse than my Viva Voce lol!
A friend behind me says the classic ?no pressure Oli?! Still, it?s quite fun knowing that if I ballsed it up there would be the ?error carried forward? for the rest of them [emoji12]

When eventually it?s time, I walk up to the head of department, he says some more blurb followed by ?Oliver Deacon?, I then walk over with applause in the background to good old John Bercow with a beaming smile, a firm handshake and then, by my surprise he shouts out ?stop ... this man has just been achieved a Doctorate ... I think we can do better than that, so let?s give him a more suitable round of applause!? What follows is a massive applause, he dons by hat, shakes my hand again and says congratulations and I?m on my merry way across the stage and back to my seat. And reeelllllaaaax, I didn?t stack it, I didn?t screw it up, job done!

What then followed was what must have been a solid 1 hour of clapping as student after student goes up to shake the Chancellors hand. It?s always quite surprising to see the brake down of students, in that there were only 5 PhD Graduates, maybe 25 or 30 MSc students and probably 150 undergraduates. Just goes to show how nuts you have to be to stay on for a PhD, I mean they don?t call it ?Permanent head Damage? for nothing after all lol!

The whole ceremony is over with in an hour and a half, by the time I got out my previously pristine white shirt was now entirely soaked, which was actually a sort of result as meant the sweat ?patches? were now throughly indistinguishable. The suit jacket, well ... that needed dry cleaning!

My parents and I meet up, head over to the marquee and they get to meet some of the academics and fellow students I?ve worked with over the years. This was a nice experience for them to finally put faces to names etc.

My lab colleagues organised a dinner at a local pub so some 25 of us all had dinner at 8 pm, had a bit of a laugh, one of the old Professors started doing magic tricks and drew a bit of a crowd! Was a nice way to end the day.

Well everyone, that was my PhD Graduation in a nutshell from the University of Essex.
Please see below for select photos from the day.
I hope this has been a somewhat enjoyable read, and I wish you all and your families the very best of luck with whatever future studies you pursue [emoji4]

- Oli

553718ae1b787898c6b11b24f33ba9d9.jpg

Photo 1. Prior to graduating, is it just me or does my hair look particularly thin in this photo?

9650d996f85da2f300a193242fe01848.jpg
234952acb90f046640ebb735e156bdec.jpg
093071afc8cba93ba053e1eb8e6f9a4d.jpg
57214ebe9fd7f133cd974db4d65ce4df.jpg

Photos 2 - 5. Actually graduating and John Bercow doing his thing lol.

e6198f925a888380d88efdf32cb3d64f.jpg

Photo 6. One of the Emeritus Professors I?ve worked with most closely during my PhD, he?s retired but still gives up a large portion of every work week working with PhD students such as myself. I really don?t know how I would?ve got my PhD without his help and support, and it?s been a genuine pleasure learning from him over the past 4 years.

Last edited:
807c5b52594e99dbe0f3cf13e7136744.jpg

Photo 7. My father and I! Now my PhD really wouldn?t have been possible without my parents ...
Now let the ?milkman?s kid? jokes begin lol!

42a494b50797e2180bc53cd78455a8f2.jpg

Photo 8. And finally, me after the ceremony before I strip all the academic dress off, and go full continental style with all 12 of my chest hairs on display [emoji23]

- Oli

Well done oli, thanks for sharing what is a big day in your life. That Bercow chap is a bit of a cad, I met him once, his missus is well nice ;).

I hope your phd takes you on to bigger adventures and I wish you the very best of british luck for the future.

Well done oli, thanks for sharing what is a big day in your life. That Bercow chap is a bit of a cad, I met him once, his missus is well nice ;).

I hope your phd takes you on to bigger adventures and I wish you the very best of british luck for the future.

He is certainly quite a character!
I?m going to Google Mrs Bercow right now, be right back lol!

He was excellent during the ceremony and seemed genuinely honoured to be Chancellor.

Thank you for your very kind words Andy, I hope so too!
I mean the desire for a 19 RR is jolly strong indeed [emoji6]

- Oli

Last edited:
Outstanding achievement Oli, real dedication at the top level over many years to learn your craft.

You parents must be really chuffed at your achievement.

I got quite close to a woman I met on holiday a few years ago she had a doctorate in some obscure branch of law, she was terrible at Trivial Pursuit but good at other things, we did have a common bond she was German.. lol..

Well done chap your the top man...man.

Who says you can't have brains and beauty eh! .. no .. wait ..

Top job Oli - very pleased for you. Mum and dad (whoever he is) must be over the moon.

Superb achievement Oli! So pleased for you and I wish you every success for the future.

I?ve not posted on this subject before, but very well done @Oli, serious grit & determination ( some social sacrifice too no doubt ).
My late father attained a PHD in English & from our many discussions, I appreciate the commitment involved.
Credit to you & great achievement.
Well done fella.
Wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.

Well done Oli, its something that no-one can ever take from you. Just be careful of people mistaking you for a Doctor of Medicine and asking you to inspect their Knob!

Hang on, thats already happened, lol.

Well done once agin Oli (You look like TinTin in the second photo)

JimmyMac

PS can you have a look at a nasty rash I got after riding Stuarts bike?

<3

Awesome Oli!
Great photos

Thank you Ben [emoji4]

Outstanding achievement Oli, real dedication at the top level over many years to learn your craft.

You parents must be really chuffed at your achievement.

I got quite close to a woman I met on holiday a few years ago she had a doctorate in some obscure branch of law, she was terrible at Trivial Pursuit but good at other things, we did have a common bond she was German.. lol..

Well done chap your the top man...man.

Thank you for your kind words Stuart, my parents enjoyed the day too and like me are just glad it?s over lol.

You mentioned you had a friend with a PhD in Law in the past, is this a friend like Joyce? [emoji6]
Was she a fellow motorcycle aficionado?

Many thanks again Stuart!

Who says you can't have brains and beauty eh! .. no .. wait ..

Top job Oli - very pleased for you. Mum and dad (whoever he is) must be over the moon.

Haha, Freudy you flirt!

Thanks for the kind words, Mum and Dad also cracked up at the ?whoever he is? bit lol [emoji23]

Superb achievement Oli! So pleased for you and I wish you every success for the future.

Thank you very much Paul, hope you and your family are all well and having a great Summer!? [emoji4]

I?ve not posted on this subject before, but very well done @Oli, serious grit & determination ( some social sacrifice too no doubt ).
My late father attained a PHD in English & from our many discussions, I appreciate the commitment involved.
Credit to you & great achievement.
Well done fella.
Wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.

Thank you very much for your kind words and my condolences for your late Father.

I imagine you father must have had a vocabulary that would rival just about any Thesaurus! [emoji846]

Many thanks again and I hope you and your family are enjoying the Summer

Many congratulations Oli, a huge achievement !

Thanks Phil, hope you?re having a great weekend [emoji4]

Well done Oli, its something that no-one can ever take from you. Just be careful of people mistaking you for a Doctor of Medicine and asking you to inspect their Knob!

Hang on, thats already happened, lol.

Well done once agin Oli (You look like TinTin in the second photo)

JimmyMac

PS can you have a look at a nasty rash I got after riding Stuarts bike?

Thank you very much Jimmy :)

Lol, for an attractive lady the old saying ?I?m not a gynaecologist, but I can take a look? comes to mind lol [emoji23]!

@Alex says I look like Bradley Smith?s brother!

bd84ec4e96e29e91784cf414978fedb6.jpg

- Oli

Haha..I can't say on an open forum Oli..the answers in my post tho.. no, shes way too nice to cutting about on a bike lol...

Well done Oli.
Now I know why PhD Graduand's have such big floppy hats... it's so you can get it on whilst wearing a helmet.
Also, are you allowed to wear your cape at a track day?

Back