Ergonomics help please

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1568

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I picked up my new bike today - never ridden the model before but pulled the trigger anyway and I'm stoked with it. Today was freezing and I was very much layered up: I found the bike uncomfortable in the hips and struggled with gear changes. I just had another short ride in jeans and jacket - much more comfy but not quite right. Anyway my question is: is it preferable to change the rearsets eg lower or raise the seat? I'm going on track days as well. I'm 6' - I read that taller riders than me are fine with standard trim but I'm not so any help and recommendations would be welcome, thank you.

Hi Kevin welcome to the forum. Sorry to read you are not feeling right on the bike. You could get some adjustable rearsets and/or fit a comfort seat? I would try rearsets first as they usually sort out ergonomics.

I'm shorter than you (5'10" or so) and generally find the bike fine to ride (when I remember to stop leaning on my wrists!). Have you come from a non-sportsbike? If I haven't ridden in a quite a while, after a spirited ride my hips can be sore due to the way we have to sit and hold on to these things...might just be a case of getting the body used to the sportsbike?

Hi Kev, sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable, as Cobo says maybe just need to get bedded in to the position. Hope so mate you have an awesome bike.

JimmyMac

Thanks for the responses - I really like the bike. May try the rearsets to start with and a seat. I was going for a V4 S which was really comfortable but the insurance was too expensive. I do need some time with the bike to get match fit and flexible- I've been going to the gym but I'm not as young as I used to be ��

Hip flexor stretching is the thing to do.
When not bike fit I find the front muscles cramp after a long ride.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Hi,
as Alex has said really, i'm 6'2 and had no real issues, however i do stretch off nearly every night as i do get tight all around the pelvis area.
you can find loads of stretches on youtube.
Mut

Thanks for the replies, going to do the stretches and get some practice on the bike and explore the seat, suspension and rearsets - cheers Kev

If you fancy new rearsets; Alpha Racing, BMW HP, Lightech and PP-Tuning seem to be the most highly rated.

Also, Tank / knee grips - adding these reduce fatigue on braking, acceleration and cornering. TechSpec, StompGrip etc.

Just as a point of observation on the fitness thing on these bikes.... having done a shed load of miles on two wheels like many of us, my tips would be:

- if training time is an issue due to work/life etc then focus on the core (stomach and lower back). This can be done at home a few minutes a day with plank, situps, back extensions. Build it up gradually by doing a little then adding a bit more each week.

- when riding on an undemanding piece of road you can do a few ?in the saddle? movements to help. Sitting yourself upright focus on clenching your abs as hard as you can for 5 seconds at a time, then release, repeat as much as you can safely do. You will soon feel the burn. Also stretching your lower back by rolling your hips forwards and back in a gentle slow rocking motion really helps reduce lower back ache. Finally, standing up on the pegs for 5-10 seconds at a time will help stretch the quads and hams, and improve circulation to the leg muscles.

I'm 6ft 1" and an old git (57) and found HP rear sets made a big difference. Bike is much comfier over distance. Ive does 300 miles in a day no bother. By the way the comfort seat gives more height but is twi tone. I bought a stock seat cheap on eBay and am getting it rebuilt slightly higher with a plain black new cover. I will stick some pictures on when its back. I have swapped the side panels for white ones too - just because.......

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Bike looking good Bertie ;-)
Just been to the garage to check you hadn't nicked mine! Lol.
-
Kev,
+1 on everything said already. I'm 6'6" and am comfy on the bike due to the following, in order of importance:

-Core strength and fitness
-BMW Comfort Seat
-PP-tuning rearsets
-MRA screen

As you've spotted, the winter gear bunching up around knees, hips and neck doesn't help.
H

Hahaha...I did nick the idea when you did a thread a while back about repainting yours. I love the look and it only cost me ?80 for the two panels off eBay. I bought a cheap pillion cover on eBay too which is currently getting sprayed black by Dream Machine in Long Eaton. Ive got an Arrow can on too and will stick a photo up when its all together (and the snow has melted)

Bike looking good Bertie ;-)
Just been to the garage to check you hadn't nicked mine! Lol.
-
Kev,
+1 on everything said already. I'm 6'6" and am comfy on the bike due to the following, in order of importance:

-Core strength and fitness
-BMW Comfort Seat
-PP-tuning rearsets
-MRA screen

As you've spotted, the winter gear bunching up around knees, hips and neck doesn't help.
H

Most rearsets generally give about 10mm in each direction which many people do find enough so worth finding out before you buy, but if you really want to take the p**s then GiaMoto do a comfort kit (basically metal plate extension) to take to a total of 25mm. Obviously you?ll have to take this comfort kit off for the track if you want the ground clearance.

Latest posts

Back