Double Doofer Installation

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
As promised, a few pics of my recent 'doofer' installation..

In general, all went well, and I'm very glad I splashed out on an SDS drill - made life a lot easier. I tried one of the concrete bolts in the hole for size, ended up *almost* getting it stuck. It did disassemble itself on me (the retaining cap came off and the 3 metal legs collapsed) so I spent 10 mins pissing about trying to re-build it before all my fingers and thumbs moved in the right sequence for things to fit. I'm sure it must be easier than I made it.

I do have 1 problem (call in with Pragmasis awaiting call back) regarding the chain in that I believed the idea was to take the end link and insert it perpendicularly through any other link in order to get the lock off the ground (effectively shortening the chain) but after many many minutes of effing and blinding (remember, this chain isnt light or flexible!) I gave up and just wrapped it around the back wheel again. Not ideal but I'll wait for Pragmasis to tell me (or anyone of you guys) what I'm doing wrong.

Doofer is excellent quality and feels rock solid. I do feel a little more comfortable now.

IMG_2548.jpgIMG_2549.jpgIMG_2550.jpgIMG_2552.jpgIMG_2553.jpg

Nice job Wayne, glad you put a bit of grease on the the end of the bit, shows I wasn't wasting my breath, lol. Clearly a Makita drill.......

Was laughing at the bolt splitting into pieces on you, had exactly the same happen to me at Christmas working in a chemical factory and the bolts were ?80 each (supplied by the company), the guys that work there just chuck them if this happens and I wouldn't. It lived in my works jacket pocket for weeks and about a fortnight ago I managed to rebuild it, it is fiddly as f13k but eventually I taped it up with insulating tape in order to refit the ring and collar. Glad its not just happened to me.

JimmyMac

The pic of the grease on the end of the drill is just for you Jimmy - I do listen (I know I don't know everything, so am very open to expertise) and if it makes my drill last longer (and yes, you're right again - a makita :) ) then its a small inconvenience.

Gotta say, those bolts .. grr!

Hi Freudian, if you need to 'shorten' the chain you need to cut though sleeve at appropriate point. Then pull out a link and put THIS though the end link, not the other way round. Easier to do than to describe. Hope this helps.

Hi Freudian, if you need to 'shorten' the chain you need to cut though sleeve at appropriate point. Then pull out a link and put THIS though the end link, not the other way round. Easier to do than to describe. Hope this helps.

Son of a .. doh! Thanks Flyingscotsman .. I think that'll fix the problem :) I had the idea fixed in my head how it *should* work, and couldn't seem to think past it.. ty v much :)

Job well done [emoji106]

It’s worthy to know any security device is only as good as the item it is connected to. With that in mind , how long are the bolts and what thickness is the concrete/screed ?
A side swipe with a sledge hammer would lift most bolts to 50mm from the concrete/screed. Another point is ‘old concrete’ floors for garages were usually 150mm thick concrete , however newer builds now use insulation with the floor construction being 100-150 concrete with 50mm cement screed top. If fitting 50mm bolts u are only entering the top layer of weak screed. In this case a crowbar would lift the security device.
A test drill hole would help decide the thickness and construction and then gives u the chance to upgrade the bolts before fitting.

This is a garage built in the late 70's so the concrete is very thick - the bolts are 70mm and i did drill a mill or 2 further down in case of concrete dust (although they do supply a bit of pipe to blow the dust out with).

I chose the location for the anchor carefully - my garage floor isnt in the best condition as can be seen from the pics but where I placed it, its actually perfectly flat so the anchor is flush to the floor on all 4 sides.

At the end of the day, if they're gonna take it, they're gonna take it eventually - this isn't the only security I have on the bike (note no frontal pics) and there are a few surprises if they do get into the garage. Any security can only really be seen as a deterrent - we just have to hope that there's enough deterrent for them to not want to risk injury/capture.

Good tips though - especially if I'd read them before fixing :D

It's all to delay, nothing is going to be perfect. It's still better than 99% of security in place.

Back