Engine braking / acceleration problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant2781

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some help and guidance.

2010 BMW S1000RR.

It does it in all modes.

I could be going along at say 40mph in 3rd at 4000rpm. When I twist back the throttle it does nothing. Instead the bike just slows down with the throttle open. If I was to then close the throttle it will do some serious engine braking to a stop. It does not display any lights on the dash board. Once back in first gear it will then let me pull off like nothing ever happened.

There is no pattern to when it wants to does this problem. I've been lucky enough that when it does it nothing is behind me. It will do it once everyday and then be a couple of days before it does it again or even a week between doing it which suggests maybe a loose switch/wire. But which I do not know.

I did think whether it could be something to do with the ABS etc as I've just discovered I've got a puncture and the tyre was heavily deflated. Not going to lie I am crap with keeping an eye on tyre pressures.

Sadly its starting to effect my enjoyment of this bike and due to work commitments don't have time at present to take to a dealer. Was hoping for somewhere to check first and if all else fails book some holiday and take the bike to a dealer.

Thanks for your time.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is that? Is it something to do with the exhaust system? The bike has a decat and a unknown branded aftermarket exhaust.

Is your bike equipped with shift assist if so make sure it is returning correctly and your foot is clear after each shift

And I agree your issue is likely to be TPS Throttle Position Sensor. Or Grip Position Sensor. Or the throttle body actuators.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

It would rev up rather than do nothing when applying throttle if shift assist was issue ... similar to false neutral

In my experience, the engine remains cut if the shifter is still depressed when the throttle is open. I removed mine and made a threaded rod to eliminate it from the investigation into my shift issues

Definitely on my '10 if I touched the lever without changing was like hitting a brick wall, also trying to 'blip' the throttle on downshifts at low revs it wouldn't react, high revs was fine.

Standard throttle. I have put some Oxford heated grips on. did had to sand the thickness of the tube under the rubber grip to get the heated grip over.

Standard throttle. I have put some Oxford heated grips on. did had to sand the thickness of the tube under the rubber grip to get the heated grip over.
-presume you've checked the heated grips are fully bonded?
My old RC8R had a sticky throttle problem and gotta say it was one of the most dangerous things I've ever had on a bike. Sounds like yours is worse. Be careful, mate.

-presume you've checked the heated grips are fully bonded?
My old RC8R had a sticky throttle problem and gotta say it was one of the most dangerous things I've ever had on a bike. Sounds like yours is worse. Be careful, mate.

It's not the most pleasant thing to ride at the moment with this fault hiding.

Last edited:
Sounds like the kill switch or side stand switch is activeing to me.

Sensors should throw a code, other than that it's ignition or fuel which will both put the service light on.

Last edited:
Back