LH fairing removal and nippy?s Satnav cable

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
Anyone? I?m sure there?s a guide on here somewhere....i?m trying to:
Remove LH fairing (does the indicator come off? Can?t seem to get it off!)
Find correct socket to plug in a nippy Norman cable
Put it back together without breaking anything!
I can just about manage it from there, but the fairing is baffling me.
you?ll have probably gathered by now that I?m looking for instructions suitable for an idiot, how many fixings where are they etc.
Any tips appreciated!

You dont need to remove the indicator, but you might need to unplug it when the fairing comes away. i.e. it stays on the fairings, no need to unscrew.

All the fasteners should be visible, work your way around the fairing piece and pull gently to see if any parts are still attached once you have removed all fasteners you can see. The middle of the fairing is held on to the frame via a rubberised lug. you can gradually pull the fairing away from the frame and feel it give slowly. Nothing should need brute force, so if you find nothing will budge then youve missed a screw! Once you have done it once you will wonder why all the fuss, its easy. Hope that helps.

Hi Zx.
I bought this from Nippy Normans, and fitted it myself. Sounds like you've got the same or similar.
Whilst I avoid lots S1K work (I figure a motorbike mechanic's error at 160mph is best avoided) this was easy.
Soof is correct regarding getting the fairing off. I recall that I initially took the wrong fairing off, put it back on, took the other side off, realised I was right the first time, etc., you get the picture. Suffice to say it's pretty quick and easy.
Can't remember which side it is, but once the fairing is off you have to cut a factory fitted cable tie to access the socket. The sockets are different on each side so there's no danger of plugging it into the wrong one.
I recall my indicators unplugged when the fairing is off so they don't have to dangle, have a blanket ready to lay them down. The PITA is finding a discrete place to put the NN 'box'. I fixed it behind the front fairing near the headlights, it's messy but does not snag the steering. There didn't seem to be room behind the side fairing.
If I had a whole garage to allow me to tinker, I'd have connected a cheap lead direct to the battery and fed it under the tank. However I don't, so I didn't...
Cheers
H

Last edited:
Great thanks all I was flummoxed about the plugs so good tip Huge, I thought it looked like I needed to snip the cable tie, but got stuck at that point! So, is the top socket as per Jay’s picture, or the bottom? Fairing off with nothing broken.. if I can find out which socket I’ll be ok from there.

SUCCESS! Bottom socket, fitted easy once the cable tie was snipped. Fairing back on, no broken fixings as far as I can tell, all looks good. Tomorrow i’ll Wire it in and test. Many thanks all for the guidance, probably would have given up without the help.
Very flimsy all of it, definitely paid off taking my time and asking you lot. I’ve been dreading that job!

SUCCESS! Bottom socket, fitted easy once the cable tie was snipped. Fairing back on, no broken fixings as far as I can tell, all looks good. Tomorrow i?ll Wire it in and test. Many thanks all for the guidance, probably would have given up without the help.
Very flimsy all of it, definitely paid off taking my time and asking you lot. I?ve been dreading that job!

I done the exact same job the other month. One tip to ease removal of the panel next time is that I applied a small amount of silicone grease to each of the 'posts' that fit into the rubber grommets; there's one post on the frame and one on the fairing panel.

Also, don't over-tighten the 2 screws that secure the mid panel to the belly pan or you'll find they'll all of a sudden feel loose again, that means the tabs have snapped.

I followed the Nippy Normans wiring instructions and found my Tom Tom didn't work when the ignition was on but I worked it out using a multi-meter, it's on a thread here somewhere, I'll dig it out if you need it.

I mated my tomtom to a nippys cable last month. The brown wire is negative, while the black/red is the switched ignition. The central purple is unused. That's the way it is on my 17 plate anyways. One thing to check if, like mine it doesn't bloody work afterwards is to check the plate light. They both work off the same fuse, so if you blow it the telltale sign (other than the fuse being knackered ofc) is the plate light no long works. I'll see about editing this post and throwing up the wiring diagram for this section from my haynes manual when I get home from work...if that's allowed of course, I'm assuming wiring diagrams are public domain.

jMkA0z4
I don't appear to be able to directly embed images. Guess it's a premium member feature. I'll have to get round to sorting that. In the meantime:

https://abload.de/img/wiring6qqx5.jpg

This diagram is for the optional accessories and lap timer for S1000RR 2015+

Argh! So close but no cigar.
the tomtom keeps flashing on and off saying the power supply is interrupted. I?ve checked the wiring, all seems secure, but it ain?t working. It seems like there?s a fault somewhere any ideas anyone?

Got a multi-meter? Pop the negative on the negative battery terminal and the positive in the pin hole of your lead. I had to use a paper clip. With the ignition on and the multimeter in dc volts mode you should get 12v through one of the pins. This is your live feed. It should go to 0v when you cut the ignition. You can also test continuity with a simple continuity test between the the tomtom end of the cable and the pins on the nippy cable end. If you have continuity the cable is soldered/bonded ok.

I?m not really up on this thread, are we talking about the plug where I have my 2D Pot sensor attached on the LHS? Or is there a second there?

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Think disaster has been avoided, the bike is on a lorry sat morning going to Almeria, but wer’re riding back so really needed the satnav to get home..I hate working under pressure!
The problem seems to have been that I had the wrong ‘ground’ on the power feed. The right plug in the right place, but the 3 yellow cables really do not help out. Live was easy, swapped the grounds and it seems to be a steady feed now, does that sound right? I think the other wire was just not providing a steady ground.
Of course, fairings off again (twice) and I snapped the bottom plastic lug (Doh!) but I think it’ll hold ok, the rest are all good. An oily finger over the central post helped.
At one point I thought I was in real trouble though - fairing off for the 3rd time and suddenly - clunk! A large round cover with an expensive and purposeful rubber gasket rolled between my knees. Oh fk no! What’s that?????? Spent 20 minutes trying to find from where it came.... nothing....but it was clearly something I needed. Was it keeping oil in the oily bits...?
No. it was the headlight bulb cover, that fell off after replacing a bulb, that I had to replace. I thought it had gone down the road last year! Hello you!
That’s it now, i’ll have to sort the rest out when I find what’s what when I’m rolling down the pitlane in a couple of weeks.
Again, thanks all, I’veno doubt this sorry saga will have updates soon knowing my luck and general incompetence!

Look at it as learning rather than incompetence ... if u didn?t try yourself then that would pass for incompetence. Job well done and great find [emoji106]
Thanks Jay, i'm really keen to do much more myself, fed up with buying in help when the outcome is usually marginal. I have some knowledge, but little experience. This has to change!

If u don?t try u will never find out if u could do urself and with a helpful forum like this just a click away for if trouble arises it makes sense especially with the costs these mechanics charge now.
Exactly, Great forum much appreciated ALL!

Hey Zx,
Long shot this, but there might be more than one socket on each side of the bike. I remember snipping loads of factory ties when I did it.
H

BTW, does "Zxcv12" mean anything?

Last edited:
Hey Zx,
Long shot this, but there might be more than one socket on each side of the bike. I remember snipping loads of factory ties when I did it.
H

BTW, does "Zxcv12" mean anything?
Yes it’s a tangle of spaghetti under those fairings. Thanks to another poster I managed to find the right plug quite easily. But I had no testing time and the bikes loaded up now so I won’t really know if I’ve cracked it until I need it, which is not ideal. I’m packing maps to cover that, but I’ll let you know if it works properly. The issue is (I think , who knows...) that the canbus system is a bit more complicated than I thought. Finding a switched live is easy enough, but that ground wire was elusive, it seemed to be there one minute then disappeared the next. I’m looking at 1600 miles over a 4 day return trip, so I’ll be needing it to work 100% My next task is to see if I can find a suitable earpiece and link to the tomTom rider 42. Any ideas anyone?
Zxcv12 is the bottom and top line of a keyboard, I cannot possibly remember yet another login/password, I’m already struggling with what I have. And no, my password isn’t password, or even password123!

Back