The 'First Ride of the Year' Thread

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
So I managed to get out on mine today, so happy!
It's booked in on Friday for a service and new back tyre then get as many miles in as I can before Donington on 9th April. Feel all round happier now!

Anyone else made it out?

No!!! I got a flat on friday and havnt got round to getting a new tyre
558ab6087ea5c6477ec26b0ae5c3b87a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes! Whilst stuck in traffic today in my car I saw someone else out on the same bike as mine (Gen2 blue fire) near Hampton Court palace... I don't often see other RRs that colour... So I just had to get mine out. After a great wee ride I am now hiding from rain, sitting in a pub waiting on a roast...just hope it isn't raining when I leave, didn't think I'd need my rain gloves....

Last edited:
Had my 2nd ever ride out on mine today again around the County Down coast. Still loving it and that’s another 150miles done.
No photos as forgot to take any!

Last Friday, I rode to Darley Moor on it, and used it to pass my basic rider assessment, for my acu licence.

I go past darley moor when I venture down to staffs. Didnt know they did anything with bikes?

I didn't do a track day on it last Friday, I used it for getting my acu license. They do normal track days, but the track is quite short with minimal run off in places, however it does allow you to use plenty of throttle out of the slower corners to really feel the power of the bike.
I was easily exceeding 140 mph on the back straight.

Not my 'first ride of the year', per se, as the old TL has had to cope with the worst of the weather. Anyway today I got the S1K out for the first time since November. I had forgotten just how capable these things are and it was like riding a new bike for the first time! The only downer is that my SERVICE! warning is now on permanently. I hope to deal with this before Easter.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20180326145113008.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20180326145113008.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49
My first ride of the year was also my first IAM observed ride and on the first day of the year - albeit on my Divvy 900 winter hack. Fortunately, the front wheel bearing packed up shortly afterwards and I was 'forced' to use the RR subsequently.

I've been out on mine a couple of times, whenever the clouds broke for a couple of hours to let the roads dry a bit. I know I'm a bit of a gurl saying that and the bike is far more capable in the wet than I give it credit for .. maybe I should just 'get out there'. I'm not into preening the bike every time it gets a bit dirty - my thinking is that I only see through the windscreen and look at the clocks whilst I'm riding it - anything else is for everyone else to see! :)

One question though - on Sunday I went for the biggest ride of the year so far, Mansfield to Withernsea via Barnsley. Not that far, but _man_ did I ache when I got back, and since... Pains in the back of the neck, between my legs and down my back. Does anyone have a targeted set of exercises that can be done in a few mins to aid rider pains and improve flexibility?

Hi Freudy. Sorry to hear of your pains.
I also had similar sounding pains in neck, shoulders, back and bum for decades until a rehab. physio taught me home exercises (after an accident) and I've now been pain free for 10 years (I'm 50).
Point being, if you can afford a few sessions with a good physio (preferably who understands pilates), you can make your own regime to suit your body, your weak points and your time-table. Don't trust fitness instructors (and even friends) who aren't qualified or very experienced at getting good results.
Another benefit is that I never get tired wrists from riding now, nor do I slouch any more. It's all about core strength.
H

I managed to get out on my first ride on the S1000RR last week since swapping my 955i Daytona and all I can say is WOW!!!!! what a machine! :surprise: having had Mille's (immediate torque is addictive!!!) and Triumph triples as my last bikes I have to say I LOVE the RR!!!! rode out through Kelso stopped at Greggs and within 5 mins had a Blade owner commenting on how good the bike looks and sat down for a chat with a pasty!) then onto St Boswell and enjoyed every sec of the scenery and the Akra howl, whilst being soooo smooth and easy to ride. Certainly feel this is the bike to enjoy. Cant wait to get to the TT next year and if I can swing it the NW200. Cheers J

Last edited:
Back