2012 EWS Error!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycopland

Reaction score
I'm having problems starting a stolen recovered 2012 S1000RR! The bike didn't come with any keys, but I've just got a replacement key from BMW. But I can't start it because of an EWS error! With the kill switch in the off position I can cycle through all the modes on the display and navigate through all the menus. The neautral indicator also seems to be working fine. The EWS error appears as soon as I toggle the kill switch to the run position! I've checked all the obvious things like the battery and fuses but still no luck! Am I correct in thinking that the replacement key is correctly coded to the bike because I can see all the menus when the kill switch is in the off position? So that means that the ring antenna on the ignition is working fine aswell? I've got a Haynes manual but it seems useless for wiring diagrams for the 2012 model!

The kill switch button needs to be lightly held in the off position for me to navigate the menus on the display. When it's not held towards the off position it reverts to the EWS error as though I've toggled the switch to the run position!

Any help would be greatly received!

Sounds to me like there may be a problem with a wire in the loom if the battery and connections are good, and the antenna ring is good to the key. It could be anywhere though. The bike will refuse to start if the ecu thinks there is a problem somewhere, the canbus system on these bikes is very sensitive so any ground wire etc will stop the bike running.

You could do with a fault code, did the dealer put the bike through the diags tool?

Do you have an alarm?
Isn?t this the error for alarm/battery low?

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Thanks for all the replys! I haven't had BMW scan it for errors yet. I don't have any way to get it to them. I've done some more fault finding with the ignition.

I've removed the key, then shorted the two wires under the lock barrel simulating the key being turned. The dash turns on just like before when the kill switch is off. Then EWS error when I try to start the bike.

So it looks like the ring antenna might be faulty! Or the key hasn't been programmed!

Thanks for all the replys! I haven't had BMW scan it for errors yet. I don't have any way to get it to them. I've done some more fault finding with the ignition.

I've removed the key, then shorted the two wires under the lock barrel simulating the key being turned. The dash turns on just like before when the kill switch is off. Then EWS error when I try to start the bike.

So it looks like the ring antenna might be faulty! Or the key hasn't been programmed!
Low battery has been known to throw up ews and like mentioned before a break in an electrical system. After mine was stolen it wasnt till i checked under the rear seat i realised some fuses had been removed. This caused me to get ews as well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ive managed to get a new ring antenna from BMW but the EWS error is still there!
d1RjNH
mz39px
I have double checked the wiring from the BMSKP to the new antenna and it all checks out fine! Im guessing the key from BMW hasnt been coded to the bike, or if it has, maybe one of the previous owners has had the key disabled if its been lost previously. Ive managed to hook the bike up to ISTA+ and read some error codes:

0028FB Electronic car Immobilisation system
0027EA DME No CAN message (from KOMBI)

Am i correct in thinking that the "KOMBI" is the display? If so ive managed to run the self test in ISTA+ that makes all the lights and needles sweep on the display which passed fine.

Im waiting to hear back from BMW on the key and what they suggest. Ive read on some forums that its possible to download the settings file from the BMSKP and create a key from it! But i hope it doesnt come to that!

Thanks,

ive a similar issue on mine, it started happening the end of last season at oulton park. ive even replaced the bmw ring antenna for the alpha racing one that you put the spare black plastic key in but when out in almeria earlier this year it did the same again after a day with no issues, EWS fault. i pulled the tank off and messed around with all the ecu wires on the air box and it seemed to kick into life. this happened about 4 or 5 times on the second day and then was ok for the following 2 days. I didn't find anything that i could say it was for definite. still dont trust it now but not used the bike since almeria.

Back