Battery

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianbullsey

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently purchased a trickle charger which has trickle discharged the fudging battery. Any advice would be appreciated. The battery was fine, I was trickle charging due to the long winter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a faulty charger. I would try to charge with a non trickle charger you know works. If battery wasn't flat for too long it might be OK. If it has been flat for extended period it may be goosed.

Need a few more details Ian.
Which make/model?
Picture of the wires connected?

Some of them do cycle the battery as part of keeping it healthy. But it shouldn?t drain it. After all its supplying mains fed power to it.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Last edited:
Sounds like a faulty charger. I would try to charge with a non trickle charger you know works. If battery wasn't flat for too long it might be OK. If it has been flat for extended period it may be goosed.
Thanks, it wasn't low to begin with, I was being precautionary [emoji23]

Which make/model?

Some of them do cycle the battery as part of keeping it healthy. But it shouldn?t drain it. After all its supplying mains fed power to it.

Hi, sorry do you mean charger model?

Hi, sorry do you mean charger model?

Please see attached. I should point out that not a light on the rheostat even flickers it's totally dead.
797d69c3e4f8c7cfe5eb96b9b2000459.jpg

Which make/model?

Hi Alex, I'm not sure if I managed to send the photo? Nothing ever blinks when I turn on the ignition? No life at all. I last started the engine last weekend.
Ian

Never seen one like that.
Yes I did mean the make/model for f the charger.
Also just check the switch is on at the wall. The LED could be illuminated by the battery...

Never seen one like that.
Yes I did mean the make/model for f the charger.
Also just check the switch is on at the wall. The LED could be illuminated by the battery...

Hi Alex yeah I've checked that, the light was on green from day one, the battery was making the light go on. Is it usual for the rheostat to be totally dead?

I cant see how a trickle charger can destroy a battery unless it is faulty but even then it should do nothing. What is the charger you are using? Does it show a fault with the charge or is there just one green light? Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

I know youve said the bike started fine last week but these batteries will die very quickly when they go, one day its fine the next its toast. If less than 2 years old the battery is covered by bmw warranty.

Hi Ian
Test the charger by simply dis connecting from the Bikes battery at the dodgy (not a secure connector ) crocodile clips . Hook u to a 12v light. If lights up then it is emitting power.
Hi Jay, thanks for the reply. How are you doing? Its been a while [emoji16]

Ideally, you want a multimeter to test the output of the charger and the battery voltage and also the charger fuse
What make is this charger

Ideally, you want a multimeter to test the output of the charger and the battery voltage and also the charger fuse
Hi, yeah I've used a multi metre, the charger is an elcheapo, you live and learn [emoji23]
Ian

Hi Toan, last week the multi metre was showing 10.4, today its showing 4.4 and so is the battery!?
Ian

Back