Rear wheel change

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty1000rr

Reaction score
HI . Hoping some of you can help as im having a struggle when removing/ installing rear wheel. Its on a 2010 track bike with lightech adjusters and captive spacers. The worst part is installing as when i lift the wheel in it seems tight between the swingarm and the spacers catch. They are the correct captive spacers for the 2010. Now when i put the sprocket carrier on that i had with my spare wheels its easy to get in but leaves a gap between swingarm about 5mm. I take it that this carrier is from a 2015 onwards? Is it correct that all wheels are same and the only thing that changed was the carrier ? One thing ive noticed between the two carriers is the spacer that sits behind the bearing is about 5mm longer on the 2010 ! When removing i find i have to move the adjusters so the spindle will come out (chain slack is correct ) . Any ideas what the problem might be or where i can get correct sizes of all the spacers that are on the rear ? Thanks Mart

So when the wheel is in place and spindle is in with no nut on should there be a slight visible gap from captive spacers to swingarm ?? When my wheel is in and spindle is not through the wheel seems wedged between swingarm!! Should i look at changing spacer at rear of carrier ??

No nut, no torque...

A mm or so is ok. It has to have enough room to slot in.

Last edited:
The 5mm gap you mentioned at the start is exactly the difference in the 2 spacers on offer so its, to me, evident you need the 28mm and have the 23mm.

You could measure to confirm.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Thanks for the info. When i get home from work i will measure the spacers in each of the carriers. Im thinking there's a 23mm in one (came with spare wheels)and a 28mm in the one thats on the bike. Either way one seems slightly tight and the other too slack ???? .

Just measured the BM one I bought to allow fitment of my GSXR rear wheel and it's 23mm not 28mm as I previously stated. Pics would help

Ok ! So measured the spacers and its as i thought. The carrier thats on the bike has a 28mm spacer and the spare carrier has a 23mm. Have taken some pics but don't know how to upload them ?. The 28mm is a struggle to get in but eventually it goes ,as the 23mm is a doddle bit leaves a gap . Anything else i should check ?

what was the spacer configuration on the original wheel and sprocket carrier.
To post pics I have to upload to a hosting site like flickr and then paste in the BB code url

Not that clued up on uploading and sites like flickr etc. The configuration is the same as the link you sent with the 28mm spacer .

Not that clued up on uploading and sites like flickr etc. The configuration is the same as the link you sent with the 28mm spacer .
Hard to understand why you have a problem, you have the 23mm and 28mm spacers and a far as I can tell that is the only difference on the rear wheel /axle fitment.
I have sent you a pm with my mobile number for you to whats app me some pics if you want and I'll post them up if you like.

The plot thickens mine has the 23mm inner sprocket spacer a 24.25mm left hand spacer and a 14mm right hand spacer

For future reference for everyone, it appears that the sprocket carrier was revised in 2011/2012 onwards there is 5mm difference in the bearing location in the sprocket carrier. The later ones require the 28mm inner sprocket spacer combined with a 19.25mm left hand spacer, whereas the early ones have the 23mm inner sprocket spacer combined with the 24.25mm left hand spacer. Everything else is the same so you can use any of the sprocket carries as long as you use the correct left hand spacer and inner spacer for that carrier.

Back