Old problem has returned

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pof

Reaction score
I had an issue with my 2014 near the end of last regarding my ignition. I would put the key in and turn and nothing happened , no dash etc. A few more tries and eventually she sprang to life.
I switched keys and the problem went away for a few mnths, i never had it fail once. Friday was leaving work and it did it again and took over 5 mins to get her to come to life. This morning again the same thing although i did learn that if i left the key in in the on postion after about 20 secs it decided it wanted to work.
Ive been told by phil c its probably the antenna ring but when i look up on google it keeps saying the antenna ring will throw up ews on the dash but i get nothing.
Ive cleaned the connections in the black box behind the ignition and they all looked fine.
I dont mind going down the "new antenna ring" route but by all accounts its a pita job and involves drilling out security bolts. But if its not the ring then its a lot of time /effort/ money wasted.
Any other ideas before i get the drill out !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you have access to a gs911 or have the dealer plug the bike in.

It does sound like the antenna ring to me but there are always other possibilities.

Do you have access to a gs911 or have the dealer plug the bike in.

It does sound like the antenna ring to me but there are always other possibilities.
I dont mate unfortunately. Theres a cheap one on ebay for 30 quid so i will try that

That is silly cheap. Link?
39 quid.if it doesnt fix it ive not lost much
cc9b95bb7b5945b46f0a56f873246e2c.jpg

I have a friend with a gs but hes away on ship at the moment .

You can disconnect your ring and plug the new one in without physically unbolting the original one. Then try it, if it cures it through a few cycles get your drill out and swap them over, if not its saved you a hoor of a job.

You know it will be something else.

JimmyMac

Ive just got one on fb for 30 quid delivered so hopefully its now a cheap fix. We all know its never a cheap fix though [emoji4][emoji23][emoji23]

Ive just got one on fb for 30 quid delivered so hopefully its now a cheap fix. We all know its never a cheap fix though [emoji4][emoji23][emoji23]

lol, thats my missis that you just bought that off. :) it was the one i removed when i fit the alpha racing kit. :)

Tell her thanks [emoji23]. By the way do you have an r1 as well and were you at goodwood festival of speed 2 yrs ago?

hello, will do. it was posted today so should be with you tomorrow. i have one for sale that belongs to a mate and ive never been to goodwood. :)
Agh ok. I met a couple at goodwood a couple of yrs ago who both had s1krrs and he had an r1 track bike as well. Your wifes photo on "messanger" looks like the lady i spoke to at goodwood

Agh ok. I met a couple at goodwood a couple of yrs ago who both had s1krrs and he had an r1 track bike as well. Your wifes photo on "messanger" looks like the lady i spoke to at goodwood

she rides a 16 plate ZX10R in the krt colours. she finds the beemers too tall.

Last edited:
If your getting nothing, as if you didn?t turn it on, then It sound like it?s the electrical part of the ignition switch and not the antenna ring. The antenna ring would prevent the bike from starting but wouldn?t stop the dash and everything from turning on.

The part you want is 61318543110. It fits most BM?s and I?ve replaced plenty of them in the past, I?d recommend a new part rather than s/h.

It?s just two tiny torx to swap it off, 5 mins work

You can test it before hand by unplugging it and putting pins down the plug and joining them. It?s a 3 pin plug with 2 wires probably a green and a red

If your getting nothing, as if you didn?t turn it on, then It sound like it?s the electrical part of the ignition switch and not the antenna ring. The antenna ring would prevent the bike from starting but wouldn?t stop the dash and everything from turning on.

The part you want is 61318543110. It fits most BM?s and I?ve replaced plenty of them in the past, I?d recommend a new part rather than s/h.

It?s just two tiny torx to swap it off, 5 mins work

You can test it before hand by unplugging it and putting pins down the plug and joining them. It?s a 3 pin plug with 2 wires probably a green and a red
Thank you stephen. Is this the little box on the back of the ignition?

Thank you stephen. Is this the little box on the back of the ignition?

Yea, if you remove the plastic cover on the back of the ignition there?s only the two things under it, the antenna and the little box

Back