Strapping down a motorcycle in a van

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Hello,

My boss has kindly lent me his van to go to Ipswitch and back on thursday, I've just purchased a bike ramp and going to get some straps now, Is there anything else people use to hold down a motorcycle?

Cheers

You have all you need Ben but I like to put a towel across the seat if I am putting a strap across it to stop it digging in.

You might not be doing it that way but on ferries the straps are always minging or oil covered ropes are the norm on African boats so I try to have a clean towel or suchlike with me for that reason.

Another thing I do is once the bike is in position and strapped down I put a cable tie around the front brake lever and the cut it off at the destination.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
ijjc91
Screenshot_1.png

Purchased all this, Anything else?

Cheers Jay

R&G Handlebar Top Straps

I?ve used them countless times to date and I?ve never had any problems with them nor have they ever caused any issues with my clip-ons.

Handle bar straps should be used with caution. Better to go around the lower triple clamp

- Sent from a magical lightbox

The straps have come and they arnt the rachet type just a pull and lock mechanism, Is this going to be enough to tie down the bike? Don't seem too long either whats the best points to tie down?

Thanks

The straps have come and they arnt the rachet type just a pull and lock mechanism, Is this going to be enough to tie down the bike? Don't seem too long either whats the best points to tie down?

Thanks

No ratchet makes it harder work...you've got the chock though.

Think about the forces involved with it tipping over. You want a highish point on the bike nail to a low point in the van out to the side and forwards (ramming it into the chock). Pillion peg mounts are ideal...or the subframe.

Put the bike in the middle of the van, there should be loops in the van floor to tie down to. Use them.

I'll upload some shit art.

...tadaaa

5f2ca215f1c5ffab67d070e2459f9e81.jpg

Last edited:
Haha thanks Alex, I'll take a picture of van I'm using tomorrow it's a Vivaro, I saw it today a bit and it didnt look like it had anchor points :< but surely they come standard don't they?
Also the front wheel choke didn't come in time and says it's lost in transit...... Still okay to transport?

Also to add, Where is the front straps on? Triple clamps?

I don't use a front strap, I use a front wheel chock and a rear paddock stand and two straps on the rear from the sub frame to the floor

I've used many Vivaro's all had hard points - if there aren't any I'm not sure what to say next.

Yes to the triple clamp being the location.

In light of the lack of chock.
Get the bike in the back on the side stand. Strap the LHS so you can just about bring the bike up vertical.
Strap the RHS so it's held in that vertical from both sides. Then add straps to pull it forwards and backwards...so that it can't go forward or back. It should stay put then.

Have you got a rear paddock stand?

Last edited:
Back