Which puncture repair kit do you use?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Just as the the title says. I have too much experience of getting punctures, and a pretty miserable history of repairing them at the roadside. I'm only talking about getting home here, not about whether the repair is good enough to be permanent...

I don't like the standard BMW one https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-motor...MIhPyvurq82QIVCvEbCh0xyQ9iEAQYAyABEgIUnvD_BwE
because I've had mixed experiences with the rubber bungs going into the hole - they usually shred against the insertion tool.

I had to buy something like this in an emergency recently which doesn't use glue, you just insert something that looks like a small key into the tyre and snap off the end...but the tyre seemed to lose pressure as soon as I got moving.
http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Gryyp_Cargol_Products.html

So I'm now tempted to try this, with the long straw shaped bung, which also uses glue/sealant.
https://motorcycleparts-uk.co.uk/gear-gremlin-puncture-repair-kit

Anyone tried this last one / got a good alternative?

Cheers

I carry the stop ?n go tire plugger kit. Never had to use it roadside but I?m confident it would be fine,have practised several times on an old tyre. Search you tube for their demo video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question Rick. I've been thinking about getting something for ages. For me, it's gotta fit in the expansive 'boot'.

+1 I?m in the market for one too!
Look forward to seeing how this thread develops [emoji4]

Stop and Go for me too, used it on a mates bike and a few car tyres, fantastic bit of kit, carry the little gas canisters in my HP4 and a 12v compressor on my GSA.

JimmyMac

I use my bmw breakdown and let them sort it or get me home so I can buy a new one.

Yup, me too, as often as not, but you can wait a long time for them to appear. Haven't seen stop n go bfore. Possible concern that you have maximum diameter hole they're good for, but likely ok for 95% of incidents. Still feeling like I might try the gear gremlin kit so far....

I (usually) carry a Stop & Go kit - which has the sticky string/straw/liquorice plugs (like the gear gremlin one linked to. Only used it once on a mate's F800. Quick and simple (other than getting the screw out of the tyre). The plug lasted the life of the tyre.
Another friend had a puncture on his multistrada (when you have as few friends as I do, you can't be picky about them having crap bikes) and a somewhat protracted group effort eventually managed to insert a mushroom plug which kept the air mostly in.

Obviously this is not a statistically significant sample size, but I would always go for the sticky straw type over the mushroom type - although if I didn't have an alarm (and therefore had the ability to carry a small pouch under the pillion seat), my first priority would be getting whatever was small enough to live under the pillion seat so that I would always have it with me, rather than in a tank bag or backpack that I may or may not have bothered taking.

I tend to get punctures in France, on the last day, when getting to the Eurotunnel on time (=max 2 hours after allotted slot) is starting to become an issue. As such have started looking at what you can do post-repair. I have ridden motorway speeds on a BMW-kit-repaired tyre with no issue (which I'm pretty sure is within their recommendations). Seems I can't do that on Gear Gremlin, can't find the answer online for StopnGo. I did find that:

Gear Gremlin: max 40mph until fully fixed (don't want to derail thread with this old one, but that means new tyre for me, appreciate others happy with proper repair)
BMW: From memory I am pretty sure they say ride slow (40kph) until you have it back at proper pressure (3 small bottles of air might get you 1 bar if you're lucky..)
StopnGo - anyone that has these, what's the max speed post-repair?

Personally I would proceed with caution with any roadside/temporary tyre repair.
To my knowledge none are intended to replace a proper tyre off, plug from the inside repair

+1 on the stop and go have to use both on myself and a mate. The mushrooms are more reliable than other stuff I tried.

I tend to think if I carry them I won?t need them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have used the Stop n Go mushrooms loads of times and the repair holds really well: the kit fits in a standard pencil case with 3x air canisters which will give you enough pressure to find a garage. I always replace the tyre ASAP if trackday season but for winter commuting I just leave the plug in until the tyre has worn out and never had a problem.

I had a new tyre puncture in Plymouth on a Sunday afternoon, pissing down with rain, just before joining the ferry to Santander last year. Gutted was an understatement but we managed to fix it. Not sure on the type of repair kit but it involved opening the hole up and using the supplied tool to do that insert a cord (with glue) into the hole and use the tool to basically pull it back out so that it sealed from the inside. Cut off the excess and inflate tyre with supplied bottle. Wheeled bike to petrol station down the road and fully inflated the tyre. This lasted the trip to Andorra and back home plus a few rides out since then. Have a fresh tyre in now though.

I had a new tyre puncture in Plymouth on a Sunday afternoon, pissing down with rain, just before joining the ferry to Santander last year. Gutted was an understatement but we managed to fix it. Not sure on the type of repair kit but it involved opening the hole up and using the supplied tool to do that insert a cord (with glue) into the hole and use the tool to basically pull it back out so that it sealed from the inside. Cut off the excess and inflate tyre with supplied bottle. Wheeled bike to petrol station down the road and fully inflated the tyre. This lasted the trip to Andorra and back home plus a few rides out since then. Have a fresh tyre in now though.

Sounds like the Stop'n'go kit. Glad to hear that it worked.

Back