Insurance

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oli

Staff member
Reaction score
Just renewed my insurance with MCE, what a faff ...

Details:
Fully comprehensive, including commuting to multiple places of work with pillion cover and 12 K annual mileage.
Bike stored in brick garage in countryside.

Price:
?874 with ?600 excess.

Cons:
Bike steering lock MUST be used.
MCE?s policy is rigid and states that if the motorcycle has a steering lock, it must be operational and used. The only way MCE will cover you ?without? using the steering lock, is if the steering lock is removed from the bike ...
The second con, is that in the event of a big claim, there is a ?300 additional excess for insisting the bike be taken to a BMW main dealer.

I tried BeMoto, spoke with Scott who was fantastic to deal with. I want to have a policy with BeMoto, but unfortunately in my case MCE is cheaper ...
BeMoto quoted me ?1020 with an ?850 excess.
BeMoto apparently want to insure cars in future, which is great and means in future they might offer competitive multi-vehicle policies.

I was shocked about MCE?s steering lock policy, so I?d urge anyone who wishes to not use the steering lock, to proceed with caution ...
BeMoto are fine with no steering lock use by the way, so long as a disk lock (or equivalent) is used and they have been made aware :)

I've just done a quick Compare the meerkats for me as an experiment and it has come back at ?180 for me with ?700 excess with MCE or ?181 with ?500 excess with bike sure.
are you young or got convictions

I've just done a quick Compare the meerkats for me as an experiment and it has come back at ?180 for me with ?700 excess with MCE or ?181 with ?500 excess with bike sure.
are you young or got convictions

Crystal clear licence, 5 years NCB, but ... 26 years old.

BeMoto basically told me to try again when I?m 30 lol

Last edited:
I was with MCE for years with my GIxxer. They have a habit of bumping up the premium at renewal. Every year I saved a lot by going online and getting a new quote from MCE (stating my current insurer was also MCE). I'd recommend doing the same.

I was with MCE for years with my GIxxer. They have a habit of bumping up the premium at renewal. Every year I saved a lot by going online and getting a new quote from MCE (stating my current insurer was also MCE). I'd recommend doing the same.

Thank you for the recommendation, I already did this though, they gave me a ?100 discount just because I asked from last week to this week lol

Last edited:
Interestingly the premium didn't change if I clicked the protected no claims option with Bike sure did with the others though but only by 9 pounds with MCE. I spend ages when it comes to renewal with these comparison sites worth going direct a well via the top cashback site I got ?26 cash back on my van insurance , and ?2.5 from Go Compare for just making an enquiry. Beats listening to the wife lol

Interestingly the premium didn't change if I clicked the protected no claims option with Bike sure did with the others though but only by 9 pound

Yea yea rub it in lol [emoji6]

Forgot to mention I?ve got protected no claims too, though I probably paid the price of your policy for the privilege!

That's a lot of cash. Hope my renewal with BeMoto drops below 4 figures...(C.London)

This bike lark aint cheap. Not looking forward to renewal as got 3 points in June.

I didnt think insurers were too bothered about 3, its when they accumulate or are for more serious things i.e. not SP30/50s.

Soof is right they generally don't care. I got an NIP just around renewal time a couple of years ago and had to declare it. BMW insurance said they had to assume I'd be convicted (I wasn't) and added...?10 to the premium...

Oli, have you done the IAM test? Passing that alone gets you a discount but also gets you access to IAM Surety who seem to get much better prices. Both IAM and bemoto were way below everyone else for me this year...

Last edited:
Cheap as anything Oli! Count yourself lucky.

Stock S1k listed with 3 points from a LC20 and I pay ?2500 with ?600 excess

Last edited:
?2500!!!! That is insane. I'm glad I live in a post code were there is next to no vehicle theft. I think there was a 1 bike reported stolen a few ears ago, in my area.

I live in quite a "posh" ish neighbour hood. Nothing extreme but a nice place to live rarely any thefts that I've heard of.

Jeez Felix! That's pretty bad. As has been said before, it's one thing about getting old that you benefit from.
At least you're still getting your hole.

Oli, have you done the IAM test? Passing that alone gets you a discount but also gets you access to IAM Surety who seem to get much better prices. Both IAM and bemoto were way below everyone else for me this year...

Not yet, I intend to join EAMG in March/April after my PhD is complete. One of my goals for 2018 is to pass the RoSPA test.

Thank you for bringing IAM Surety to my attention, hopefully next year when I renew my insurance there?ll be a reasonable discount to be had.
Unfortunately though, until I?m in my 30?s one has to accept I?m never going to get a sexy quote ...

That is eye watering Ben, the most I?ve ever paid for insurance was ?1450 with a ?2K excess.
That was when I first got my RR!

I used IAM Surety for several years until bemoto beat them with bells on. IAM Surety became part of a bigger group a year or so ago and they feel just mainstream now. IAM etc doesn't appear to give much discount on insurance, not for me anyway. Silly as it is transformative for a road rider.

Back