Gilles Handlebar VarioBar2

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The clip-ons look to be great quality (would expect nothing less from Gilles) and with loads of adjustability.
However, you must be aware of the potential for significant clearance issues with road fairings.

Whilst I have no experience with these particular clip-ons, I will be fitting Renthal Gen 3 clip-ons soon in conjunction with steering lock stops in order to reach my desired bar placement without having clearance issues

Thanks for pointing this out Oli. I will contact Gilles if I decide to go ahead with these to check if there are any clearance issues.

My pleasure, yea I?ve come across the ABM vario clip-ons before too.

I was considering these sort of bars in the past, however, the clearance complications deterred me.
I instead tried Helibars as these are literally plug and play so to speak, though I ultimately didn?t get on with them.
The Helibars have no rise and have the same pull-back as the OEM clip-ons, so the increased ?comfort? comes from the fact that they have no drop, so from the hand position there is an element of rise.

The problem with these vario bars, is that you are limited by clearance around the front fairing. This is why Helibars are designed as such, so that they are directly compatible with OEM setups.

Whilst I would not want to discourage you from pursuing the vario bars, they are a lot of money and I would simply urge you to look into this throughly before going ahead with them.

One other thing I should make you aware of relates to steering lock stops. If you fit lock stops (for the sake of a clip-on setup), then you are unable to use your factory steering lock. This is something you ?must? make your insurance company aware of, and depending on who you are insured with, this can be a problem ...
I am currently sorting out insurance and in the case of MCE, they state in their policy document that if a steering lock is fitted, it ?must? be operational, otherwise they will not cover you. I was told that the only way MCE can then cover me, is if the steering lock is removed ...
BeMoto on the other hand, do not have this ridiculous policy. I?m currently waiting to hear back from MCE as the bloke is enquiring with someone higher up about it.
Will post when I sort insurance out and explain this in another thread.

Hope this is somewhat helpful, or is at least food for thought, it?s just that changing clip-ons on a road bike is ?not? as straight forward as it initially appears

It makes a lot of sense Oli. I was out on a bike today and realised that the clearance will be an issue and I am not willing to mess about with steering locks, etc.
Therefore the helibars may be the only sensible option. Having said that, I am going with my mates on a short trip soon (around 3-4h one way) and that will determine whether I need to change the bars or I am OK with them.

Thanks again for thorough insight ;)

My pleasure Nevman [emoji846]
If after your upcoming ride you decide you?d like to give Helibars a go, I have a pair in nearly perfect condition which I?d be willing to sell for 50 % RRP.
If this is of interest to you, please feel free to PM me

Last edited:
That's great mate! I appreciate it.
Will let you know towards the end of March if that is OK? As we are going on the 24 March to Snowdonia.

Yea sure that?s fine, hope you and your friends have a great trip.
Would be great if you could post some pics/do a write up for the forum? [emoji846]

From the trip? Sure thing! I have got a few pics and videos from our previous European trips. Happy to share.

Snowdonia and the surrounding areas are truly stunning, you'll enjoy it. I live at one end of the A55/M53 and my Uncle the other on Anglesey so the A5 near Bala is our meeting place for rides out around the area. Best time to enjoy is early morning before the traffic builds up and avoid the North Wales cops who are keen with their speed traps too.

Be interested to here about your trip/planned routes; might be able throw some tips your way

OK Oli. Will do.

Billo01
We don't really have plan. Just thinking of going into the area for couple days and find some good routes. So all tips welcome.
Thanks.

Back