Racetec RR or M7RR?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Need some new hoops and at the moment i am torn between the above.

Would you expect to go touring Germany on the Racetec and what?s the wet grip like?
Is the grip that much higher than on the M7RR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M7RR is the sensible choice for that tour. Handling changeable weather would be my priority.

The racetec can be done in 1500miles without care.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

M7RRs or Rosso3 are the right choice. Good wet grip. Loads of dry grip, enough for tracktime without drama, and dual compound will give longer life and less squaring off on the motorway bits.

For that trip/use I?d go for M7RR?s or Rosso 3?s without a doubt

Last edited:
Metzeler Racetec RR

Avoid the Racetec RR completely if you are considering touring.

Would you expect to go touring Germany on the Racetec and what’s the wet grip like?

Hi, click on the following link, scroll half way down the page, watch some (or all) of the video of Michael Rutter riding a std Gixxer on M7RR's then decide if they're for you :)

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/video-rutter-stock-gsx-r1000r-tt-lap/

Hi, I?ve recently replaced the standard metzler tyres with Dunlop sport smart 2 max. I find them fantastic for all round road riding. Fantastic stability in the wet and more than enough grip in the dry. I used the sport smart 2 on my old gixxer and got loads of life out of them. Fingers crossed it will be the same with these. I usually stick with slicks on the track or wets if it?s damp/wet so I wouldn?t know if they?d be any good for that side of things.
First time I?ve posted so I hope this helps, safe riding lads Shaun

I know it's off-topic but my 2017 came with OEM tyres (they're so unspectacular that I've forgotten what they are.. ) and have to say that in my cold wet journeys, they're rubbish. I find them twitchy when changing direction and my TC light is on when I'm doing anything but the gentlest of manoeuvers. The RoadTec 01's I had on my previous RR were brilliant, although my spirited riding is probably a bit diluted compared to most on here :) Never a slip/skid despite being ham fisted on the most powerful bike i've ever ridden. I now have a slightly used set of M7RR's sat in the garage (purchased from a forum member) that I'll put on.

Anyone know of a decent (read: not expensive, but wont tear the crap out of the wheels) tyre fitter - preferably mobile - in the Mansfield (UK) area?

Thanks Oli, wasn?t aware I had to welcome myself. How do I do that? Had a flick round the app and can?t see anything obvious.

Would you expect to go touring Germany on the Racetec and what?s the wet grip like?

I took my 2012 from Scotland to Poland and back via Italy and the Chech Republic on one set of Racetecs, very grippy and heated up very quickly, would definitely go for the M7s if I was to do that route again. There was nothing left on the rear tyre when I got home and the tyre fitter couldn't believe where I went on one set.
Luckily I have a throttle control that is smoother than a penguin wearing a velvet waistcoat, lol.

JimmyMac

At side of Autobahn Germany

5a9656a18df9a354287339e380e211b4.jpg

2683901c3efa4da74516cc055d4850c0.jpg

Eating sausages, Stevie Pass Italy/Switzerland

I took my 2012 from Scotland to Poland and back via Italy and the Chech Republic on one set of Racetecs, very grippy and heated up very quickly, would definitely go for the M7s if I was to do that route again. There was nothing left on the rear tyre when I got home and the tyre fitter couldn't believe where I went on one set.
Luckily I have a throttle control that is smoother than a penguin wearing a velvet waistcoat, lol.

JimmyMac

At side of Autobahn Germany

5a9656a18df9a354287339e380e211b4.jpg

2683901c3efa4da74516cc055d4850c0.jpg

Eating sausages, Stevie Pass Italy/Switzerland
Just saw this Jimmy. We parked in almost that exact spot at the top of the Stelvio in 2007... think if you walk to the left a bit you can look over the wall and see that twisty bit...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back