Security

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laj-Rai

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I have had my S1000rr for nearly a week now and I am very paranoid about it getting stolen.. I keep the bike in my garage and at night I park my car in front of it and my dad's van blocking my car.. Throughout the day at work I am always checking my cameras to see if the bike is ok..
Could you guys tell me any other way to secure the bike and be stress free..as it is so easy to break into a garage these days..
Thanks Laj

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I use an abus granit chain+lock, ground anchor and oxford disk lock. I'm also glad i'm not the only person who has a camera in his garage so he can keep an eye on his bike at work....

If it?s an ?up and over? garage door they are useless. It?s a fine line between adding additional locks and advertising to the world that you have something in there worth stealing but a pair of discreet deadbolts at each bottom corner makes it much more difficult to pop the door lock in the first place. It?s all about slowing them down in the open and not making it worth their while...

If it?s an ?up and over? garage door they are useless. It?s a fine line between adding additional locks and advertising to the world that you have something in there worth stealing but a pair of discreet deadbolts at each bottom corner makes it much more difficult to pop the door lock in the first place. It?s all about slowing them down in the open and not making it worth their while...
That's true.. You have a point.. Thanks

I said this before when Pof's bike got stolen:
"Security wise, my day job is designing buildings. I've done a lot of commercial buildings over the years and you simply can't beat a single leaf steel door and doorset fixed into a masonry wall. Garage doors are for cars, they're useless for securing a bike."

Last edited:
I can?t really add anymore to what?s already been suggested.
I think a ground anchor, chain and disk lock is a good combination in a home garage. Like yourself, I also have cars parked close outside to block the entrance!

At the end of the day, as others have said, all anti-theft measures are deterrents. Hopefully by making our bikes harder to steal, it will be sufficient to dissuade a would be thief from giving it a go in the first place ...

Last edited:
If you have a house alarm system upgrade it to include your garage as a separate ?zone? so it can be left armed even when you are in the house. To be effective the alarm system should be a 24/7 monitored one with alert and response capability.

Externally replace the garage door with a heavy duty interlocking steel segment roller shutter door, rated to withstand ramming (eg. 7.5ton truck @ 30mph) and anti-jacking.

If you have a side door entry to the garage install a heavy duty lattice sliding gate on the inside.

Each door should also have proximity, impact and pressure sensors that can detect ?unusual? movement and/or pressure on any area of the door frame. These will be linked into your alarm system.

Make sure your CCTV system has night vision capability and is also linked into the same control ops room as your alarm, so the monitoring company can access the ?zone? and start recording remotely if required whilst notifying the appropriate response.

Inside the garage, make sure the bike is chained to a properly secured ground anchor and if possible disc locked as well.

If you have more than one bike add an additional chain or cable to tie them together.

The key to any effective security system is layers, all designed to detect, delay and ultimately deter the attacker so you have enough time to respond.

Sounds rather complicated but it?s all relatively straightforward with the right company, and well with the investment and piece of mind.

Other things you can do is ensure you don?t advertise the fact you have a nice bike, especially posting images on social media. If you do so, be sure to sanitise the image (background information, reg plates of your bike and other vehicles you may own, location stamps etc) as thieves often use info in these images to track high value goods to their home address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a house alarm system upgrade it to include your garage as a separate ?zone? so it can be left armed even when you are in the house. To be effective the alarm system should be a 24/7 monitored one with alert and response capability.

Externally replace the garage door with a heavy duty interlocking steel segment roller shutter door, rated to withstand ramming (eg. 7.5ton truck @ 30mph) and anti-jacking.

If you have a side door entry to the garage install a heavy duty lattice sliding gate on the inside.

Each door should also have proximity, impact and pressure sensors that can detect ?unusual? movement and/or pressure on any area of the door frame. These will be linked into your alarm system.

Make sure your CCTV system has night vision capability and is also linked into the same control ops room as your alarm, so the monitoring company can access the ?zone? and start recording remotely if required whilst notifying the appropriate response.

Inside the garage, make sure the bike is chained to a properly secured ground anchor and if possible disc locked as well.

If you have more than one bike add an additional chain or cable to tie them together.

The key to any effective security system is layers, all designed to detect, delay and ultimately deter the attacker so you have enough time to respond.

Sounds rather complicated but it?s all relatively straightforward with the right company, and well with the investment and piece of mind.

Other things you can do is ensure you don?t advertise the fact you have a nice bike, especially posting images on social media. If you do so, be sure to sanitise the image (background information, reg plates of your bike and other vehicles you may own, location stamps etc) as thieves often use info in these images to track high value goods to their home address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the lovely message Carl.. I have ordered the anchor n chain hopefully get that in a few days.. Will look in2 the garage shutters tonite.. Cheers buddy

I understood that the majority of bike thefts are from following the bike home, so its going to be really hard to hide where the bike is kept. I agree about pictures on social media but tbh I think most bike thieves are opportunists who see a nice bike, follow it, come back later.

All of the above is great info but at a cost. I used to live in the middle on nowhere so had 24/7 monitored cctv with laser beams on the perimeter fencing etc. It was very expensive, but effective. Real world my advice would be to combine whats been said and make sure entry into your garage is a pita, and the bike is secured to something solid to stop a quick getaway. A motion alarm on the bike with a gsm text alert service would be useful so you know if anything moves, rather than constantly worrying. You could also set up an internal motion detection camera to alert you as a backup.

If you park your bike at a permanent place of work you could consider the ground anchor and chain set up there as well and leave both in place. The chain needs to be 16mm or thicker so it will be too heavy to carry around. The padlock is another 1kg. It is a lot of initial cost but the chain and padlock will be effective for ever. Depending on your employment and location you might find that employers will pay for at least the ground anchor. If you are paranoid about it at least with a tracker you will get an alert to your mobile phone if it is moved. Ensure that the CCTV signs are near to your bike. It all helps.

Back