Panigale V4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last 3 bikes have been Ducatis. 899>1299>Multi.

Loved the Panigales. Incredible machines. The experience of owning them was horrific. One bike laden with faults is bad luck. But 3? Every single one broke down at least once before first service.

V4 looks incredible and I bet it is superb to ride. Lifetime warranty would go a long way to tempt me back with a guarantee of, if yours should break and require weeks of investigation then DUK supply you with a courtesy V4 to ride.

Customer service from Ducati is superb too.

Unfortunately my boyhood dreams were shattered by constantly failing parts. Some were downright dangerous and put me in serious danger and others were just inconvenient. It's going to be a long time before I entertain the idea of a Ducati. I know that if I bought one and used it like I use my S1000RR it wouldn't be long before I was enjoying the dealership coffee and rides with Gavin from the AA again. The even sadder thing is I know 3 other people with 1299's that have had their fair share of issues.

The bike cost is high and knowing what I know about service costs, brake pads, fuel consumption etc too I echo what someone mentioned above that you can't beat the S1K for value for performance.

If you're interested wait until Ducati do their summer trackday testers. They ran these the last two years. ?50 and you should get 3/4 sessions on a 959 or V4 and you get a voucher for ?500 off if you order one.

To anybody that buys one purchase Ever Red and I wish you good luck.

I even made some videos about how much I loved the bastard 1299.

https://thatsbelter.com/category/life-with-a-ducati-1299/

These, Track Taster sessions, can you give me a link? Sounds interesting for having a little play.

These, Track Taster sessions, can you give me a link? Sounds interesting for having a little play.

All I can find is that you filled in details on www.ducatinewbike.co.uk and they were in May and Jun last year.
Doesn't look like the site is live anymore. They will announce it on twitter/instagram/fb again I would imagine for this year.

They do look stunning, and loaded with all new singing and dancing electronics. But it still sounds too much like a V Twin for me, Think its something to do with the firing arrangement? The standard Model is circa 20K with the S model (Which is the one youd want) being 23.5K. I had a Ducati prior to the RR, simply due to reliability and cost of parts/servicing I dont think I could every go back to the Italian brand.

It is compelling that every ex ducati owner that has contributed so far on here has had enough problems with the bikes to put them off doing it again, the only positive comment has been from a non owner.

I had a browse on the ducati forum the other night and its no better on there :).

Ducati Panigale V4

I am rather tempted by the S version but I will be waiting until BMW release details of the 2019 S1000RR at Intermot in October. I have three bikes on my shopping list for 2019 - BMW, Suzuki and Ducati. I am hoping that the next RR is something a bit special as the competition certainly seems to have moved on.

I had a browse on the ducati forum the other night and its no better on there :).

It's a rare thing that people go on forums of any description to talk about their problem free machines. Those folks are out riding and have never heard of Tapatalk.

The one benefit to all my 899/1299 problems of course was that I got to ride nearly every bike in their range as a loaner. Usually for at least 2 weeks. That's why I started the site/YT channel as thought might as well review these things whilst i have them.

As for the 2019 RR I will eat my hat if it doesn't feature a counter-rotating crank.

It's a rare thing that people go on forums of any description to talk about their problem free machines. Those folks are out riding and have never heard of Tapatalk.

Completely disagree with that, maybe thats your experience elsewhere but that is not the case here. We get a few issues talked about every now and then but generally users are on here to talk about their bikes and what they want to do with them.

Ive got to say it does seem as if there are certain people on here think that unless youve got an S1000RR your riding a piece of shit,,, I know of a person who had 2 engines go riding on the road, and countless cam shaft probs, gearbox probs , recalls even to the extent of having your brand new bike stripped to the bone and having bolts tightened and locktighted that were not done in the factory, the s1000rr is the same as any other bike has its problems, and for dealers they are car salesman who work on making as much profit as they can, and resale is equall if not worse than other makes, a person I know was offerd ?9600 px off a BMW dealer against a new one ,his was a 16 plate fully loaded with 10k miles on, ok shoot me down,,,

The Gen 1 had soft cams and weaker gearboxes. All till 16+ had switch gear faults. The first heavy cranks got recalled and etc etc...I don't think, if you look at the recall section we're in denial.
There are Friday afternoon bikes out there for all manufacturers. We never know the care levels of the owner for engines to 'go' or boxes to break.
But lets look at the sales figures and cross check them against the number of bad experiences. The 'content owner' to 'lemon owner' ratio is far higher with the RR than the Ducati by all anecdotal measures.

Salespeople are the same universally.

Ive got to say it does seem as if there are certain people on here think that unless youve got an S1000RR your riding a piece of shit,,, I know of a person who had 2 engines go riding on the road, and countless cam shaft probs, gearbox probs , recalls even to the extent of having your brand new bike stripped to the bone and having bolts tightened and locktighted that were not done in the factory, the s1000rr is the same as any other bike has its problems, and for dealers they are car salesman who work on making as much profit as they can, and resale is equall if not worse than other makes, a person I know was offerd ?9600 px off a BMW dealer against a new one ,his was a 16 plate fully loaded with 10k miles on, ok shoot me down,,,

Dont know about you riding a piece of shit, I have never ridden a ZX10. Everyone is entitled to their point of view as long as it doesnt offend. Being the s1000rr forum you will find most members are rather keen on their bikes and have chosen them because they believe it is the best bike for them, I am sure you go to any other forum (ducati, Kawasaki, etc) it will be the same. Theres a fair bit of banter on here about other bikes but it is always in good spirit.

You had your bmw for a year or so? Problems with it?

I’m pretty much of the same opinion for Ducati’s. I’ve had a 748 and a 916, both of which let me down on various occasions.
I wanted the 1199 then the 1299 but I didn’t want to take it on an 8 your round trip in a hired van if there was any problems.
The main reason I went for the BMW was because the dealer is 5 minutes away.
Most people know I had a Lemon for 3 months, but as Jay pointed out it was down to human error and I’m very happy with the replacement.
Id love a Ducati, but only as my second sports bike.
My heart says Ducati while my head says BMW.

We're all getting new ECU's on our GSXR1000L7's, it's caused outrage on gixxer.com I can tell you, now there's a lively forum.....

Can I ask why please Mac ? All those with their own mapping going to be outraged .

Yes they are Jay but that's the risk you run remapping a completely new model bike and one that's under warranty, this is the notice that's been issued in the US, not stopping me riding mine (the crap weathers doing that!) as its common sense not to whack the throttle open if you mis-shift isn't it?!

What is the problem?
When up shifting between first and second gear, if the rider fails to engage second gear, a neutral condition will exist and continued opening of the throttle will cause very high engine RPM. If the rider shifts into second without disengaging the clutch under the very high engine RPM condition, an excessive load can be applied to the powertrain, which can cause the drive chain to stretch and, in the worst case, the drive chain can come off or break. If the drive chain comes off or breaks,the motorcycle will lose power, increasing the risk of a crash.

For your safety and customer satisfaction, we are initiating a safety recall campaign to replace the Engine Control Module (ECM) and inspect and, if necessary,replace the drive chain and sprockets. the new ECM has been programmed to prevent very high RPMunder the conditions described above.

Warning
Operating your motorcycle without having the recall service performed may increase the risk of a crash.

To minimize the risk of a crash,please do not ride nor allow anyone else to ride your motorcycle until this recall service has been completed.

What is Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. doing to solve the Problem?
Your dealer will replace the ECM and inspect and, if necessary, replace the drive chain and sprockets. This procedure will take approximately two hours to complete. Parts will be available the week of February 19, 2018, and there will be no change to you for this recallrair, parts and labor.

I've not received my recall notice yet, tbh I'm not particularly upset by it, I'll just drop it into the dealers and let them do what they've got to do - would have been a lot more annoying the recall had been in the summer. Remapping the ecu (for any make) is only an issue if you have an engine problem and the dealer finds out as it gives them the option not to cover the problem. Some owners have reported having issues with the autoblipper on the R models so there's a suspicion this may also be part of the fix (I've not had any issues so far) but who knows.

Well there's one tuner who says they have undetectable maps but we can't mention them :)

new bike engine was seizing, second one broke down no DDC or anything, had to wait 2 hours for recovery NO one turned up, had to get bike home and to dealers myself, fault the superb BMW dealer never tightend the battery connection up, so they aint that good,, tbh all bikes break down my point was some one comments on here and a certain few cant wait to jump on the band waggon, to be friends with the certain people who comment, I know its a BMW site and if you love your bike thats fair enough, it just doesnt mean every other bike out their is crap ,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the bikes and the service, that is really bad. Weve had a couple of instances on the forum with poorly tightened batteries causing serious headaches and problems, poor dealer prep. I couldnt agree more.

I use Alan Jeffries and my experience has always been good. But there are always exceptions. A few years ago a friend of mine had his pride and joy picked up by a mate who worked for AJ in service to take it for service, who then crashed it en route, the bike was smashed and written off. He was gutted, it was dripping in carbon and the replacement was just not the same. Someone else who i used to ride with many years back collected his bike from service and we went straight on a rideout. His sump plug fell out at around 60 on a country lane and I was following, hadnt been tightened up. So I know they are far from perfect at times but shit does happen, if the impression I give makes you think I have a rose tinted view of all things bmw then thats my bad. Regarding the friends thing, I treat everyone as a friend until they do something that makes me reconsider. We do have quite a lot of disagreements and opinions on the forum and probably that will appear one sided if the majority are on one side, again, its not win or lose, its just everyone having their 2p, I am interested to hear all views. Tbh it would be good to get your opinion in a thread on the two bikes (zx10 v rr) on how they compare?

Last edited:
Back