What disc lock do you use?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing came of it as we could not meet the minimum guaranteed buyers to get an official discount.

?165 delivered sounds good, it?s better than the UK rep offered on over 30 on bulk orders.

To be honest even at ?165 it?s still a lot for a disc-lock, and I?m not sure it?s officially rated by thatcham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I?m not sure about ratings, but it?s another convenient deterrent & as a percentage of our bikes value & maintenance, I personally do not think it?s excessive.

As stated, my post was just a heads up for interested members.

Chris has sold to numerous members on the red forum, so there seems to be a demand.

It was good of you to look into it, perhaps contact Chris to see if his bulk buy limit is lower?

Rossi that was not a dig at your contact, just a statement of fact when I was looking into it.

I appreciate they are convenient.

Rossi lol, appreciate the compliment, name came coz I ?spent time? with a plus size red head in Italy.
I ride like I just bought it..

Finally got round to fitting it today, literally took 10 minutes to do & Chris even gave recommendation on which size spacer to use based on the bike.
Additionally, he provided replacement bolts specifically for the RR with the correct torque setting stated on the front.
If any members decide to go down this route, let us know how you get on.

I have had the Roadlok fitted to my bike for the last two years and today I have decided to remove it. It is very convenient to have attached permanently to the bike and I do not like the idea of carrying anything solid in my jacket or belt that could do serious damage to my organs in the event of and off. I have just been left too frustrated in trying to remove the locking pin on many occasions. It gets stuck despite regular cleaning. I am aware that you don’t clean it with WD40 etc and I have followed the recommendations to use graphite powder. The locking pin just sticks too often for my liking. Today I locked the bike up using it and when I returned I spent over ten minutes trying to release the locking pin. I honestly thought I was going to be stranded as it wouldn’t be covered under the BMW recovery process. This was the last straw. I will entertain any sensible offer if you want to give it a go.

I have just been left too frustrated in trying to remove the locking pin on many occasions. It gets stuck despite regular cleaning. I am aware that you don’t clean it with WD40 etc and I have followed the recommendations to use graphite powder.
Mmmm, why dont you use WD40 ?

Wonder if GT85 or similar would help? Maybe some ACF-50 (that might be too thick).

Shame it's not worked out as it seems very good but the pin jamming would be a complete fecker for me too. Having said that I've had issues before with my Oxford Monster not coming off...

WD40 and alike are great for freeing up the sticking pin and lubricating it but ultimately they will just attract more road grime and make the problem escalate. That?s why the graphite powder is recommended.

WD40 and alike are great for freeing up the sticking pin and lubricating it but ultimately they will just attract more road grime and make the problem escalate. That’s why the graphite powder is recommended.
That recommendation is not a good one, using Graphite will not clean the lock, it is a dry lubricant. Using graphite will eventually clog the lock along with any road grime that happens to enter the keyway.

Hi Phil,
You are probably right, the graphite powder was on recommendation from Roadlok. However my experience is that the locking pin has stuck more since I used the powder than cleaning and lubricating with WD40 or GT 85. Basically I can’t win which is why I am binning the Roadlok.

Hi Phil,
You are probably right, the graphite powder was on recommendation from Roadlok. However my experience is that the locking pin has stuck more since I used the powder than cleaning and lubricating with WD40 or GT 85. Basically I can?t win which is why I am binning the Roadlok.
Richy, I would remove the lock body, clean/flush all the grime etc out of the mechanism then try it quite a few times off of the bike. If it works ok re-fit it but make sure you remove and clean it before it starts to stick again.

Last edited:
Phil,
I have done this regularly but I am now losing confidence in the product. It is fine to remove the lock from the caliper and spend time trying to free it up and clean and lubricate it. My worry now is that If i can no longer remove the pin when it has been engaged away from home I will be left stranded. I have been using it for over two years and have persevered with it, but have finally run out of patience.

Phil,
I have done this regularly but I am now losing confidence in the product. It is fine to remove the lock from the caliper and spend time trying to free it up and clean and lubricate it. My worry now is that If i can no longer remove the pin when it has been engaged away from home I will be left stranded. I have been using it for over two years and have persevered with it, but have finally run out of patience.
Sorry to hear this, will you inform Roadlock? You might be entitled to a refund.

Gents

I?m not sure if anything came from the group buy , but there is a respected member, Chris, on the Ducati forum selling these for ?168 delivered!

He?s a pleasure to deal with & the product is the real deal. I have no financial interest in this, just thought it may be of interest to forum members at such a keen price.

Just mention this forum & perhaps my name. He?s given me permission to share his details.

[email protected]

Cheers
Vic

Hi All

Did the faithful search of the forum shortly after joining and found this thread after finding these ROADLOKs on tinterwebs and wanting more info. So research done and using the details kindly provided by Rosso I contacted Chris, and as Rosso mentions the guy is a pleasure to deal with... late Friday evening before Xmas I dropped him an email and had a reply straight away, funds transferred and lock posted out xmas eve!! arrived royal mail signed for day after boxing day.

As mentioned they come with BMW specific caliper bolts (including a slip of paper detailing this along with the 38Nm torque setting required) and looks a really nice, well engineered piece of kit. will be fitting this weekend along with Rad Guards and tank grips :excitement:

Hi All

Did the faithful search of the forum shortly after joining and found this thread after finding these ROADLOKs on tinterwebs and wanting more info. So research done and using the details kindly provided by Rosso I contacted Chris, and as Rosso mentions the guy is a pleasure to deal with... late Friday evening before Xmas I dropped him an email and had a reply straight away, funds transferred and lock posted out xmas eve!! arrived royal mail signed for day after boxing day.

As mentioned they come with BMW specific caliper bolts (including a slip of paper detailing this along with the 38Nm torque setting required) and looks a really nice, well engineered piece of kit. will be fitting this weekend along with Rad Guards and tank grips :excitement:
Glad you got sorted pal, Chris is indeed a pleasure to deal with, product is very convenient & easy to use.
I hope I never find out how effective it is.

I want to provide an update on my views of Roadlok. I previously mentioned that I decided to remove it from my bike as it was becoming problematic and sticking. I contacted Roadlok using their website and described the problems I was experiencing. Within two hours I received a reply advising that I most likely had a problem with the locking cylinder and that they would send me out a new replacement. It arrived today along with two new keys and also clear picture instructions to remove the old cylinder and fit the new one. It now works as new again. I was a big fan of this product when I first got it. My faith has been totally restored.

Back