Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What disc lock do you use?

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Re: What disc lock do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    Totally agree, I've got a Roadlok on the XR and on the RR. they work a treat and if you forget and try to ride off the front wheel won't turn at all and you simply stall. Also the pin you use is small and fits easily in a pocket. They aren't cheap but are very nicely made.

Oh and they did a group buy on teh XR forum and got a decent discount
    The Roadlok sounds like a good idea, but from the photos it it looks like it could be defeated by an Allen key to unbolt it from the caliper. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
    The Roadlok sounds like a good idea, but from the photos it it looks like it could be defeated by an Allen key to unbolt it from the caliper. Am I missing something?
    I had the same thought last year when this was discussed before.

Riding
    S1000RR 15 Motorsp

Even if you removed the mounting bolts, I assume it wouldn't get past the fork leg itself?

But I also assume, if a thief is THAT desperate or informed they'll be having it away one way or another....

Riding
    2017 red RR

The way it works is there is a locking pin that goes through one of the holes in your brake disc. The lock body is permanently attached to your calliper and you carry the locking pin in your pocket or under the seat for when you park and want to secure your bike.. If someone undid the allen bolts you would have a loose brake calliper but the Roadlok would still be secured through the brake disc. I dare say someone with an angle grinder could remove it but the same is true of any other lock, chain, disc lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
    Last edited by soofsayer; 27th January 2018 at 04:45 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertie For This Useful Post:

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

^^ that's what I thought. I was negative last year about it, but tbh it seems very convenient especially for commuter folk.

Riding
    2017 red RR

I've got them fitted to both bikes so I just carry one pin in my jacket pocket and it fits either bike. No need to take up under seat storage (and there isn't much on an RR)
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    ^^ that's what I thought. I was negative last year about it, but tbh it seems very convenient especially for commuter folk.

Riding
    2015 blue

Hi I have been using Roadlok for two years now and you can see my review on a previous thread. Regarding U.K. support it is excellent and contactable imccarthy@roadlok.com (Ian McCarthy) . I had a slight issue with the locking pin getting a little sticky and difficult to remove. Ian responded with a detailed email within 24 hours about how to clean and lubricate it with graphite powder. First class product and service.
    In relation to the main benefit over a disc lock is that as its permanently attached to the bike so you just carry the locking pin and therefore you will use it more. Also you don’t wash to crash with a disc lock in your pockets as it could do some serious internal damage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to richy170 For This Useful Post:

Oli

Quote Originally Posted by richy170 View Post
    Hi I have been using Roadlok for two years now and you can see my review on a previous thread. Regarding U.K. support it is excellent and contactable imccarthy@roadlok.com (Ian McCarthy) . I had a slight issue with the locking pin getting a little sticky and difficult to remove. Ian responded with a detailed email within 24 hours about how to clean and lubricate it with graphite powder. First class product and service.
    In relation to the main benefit over a disc lock is that as its permanently attached to the bike so you just carry the locking pin and therefore you will use it more. Also you donít wash to crash with a disc lock in your pockets as it could do some serious internal damage.
    Iíve just emailed Ian to see if he can offer the group a discount if anyoneís interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preynol1 For This Useful Post:

Riding
    S1000RR, 1299 Pan

Quote Originally Posted by preynol1 View Post
    Iíve just emailed Ian to see if he can offer the group a discount if anyoneís interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interested.

Riding
    2015 Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso View Post
    Interested.
    +1