What disc lock do you use?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend a RoadLok.

I currently have a simple Oxford disc lock, but I intend to purchase a RoadLok in the not too distant future simply for the added practicality they offer.

Essentially RoadLok is a disc lock permanently fixed to the calliper. The benefits are that you don?t have to carry one around and that if you were to forget about unlocking the bike, it would simply stall as the locking pins fix the front wheel in place, so no chance of damage

http://roadlok.com

Last edited:
Totally agree, I've got a Roadlok on the XR and on the RR. they work a treat and if you forget and try to ride off the front wheel won't turn at all and you simply stall. Also the pin you use is small and fits easily in a pocket. They aren't cheap but are very nicely made.

Oh and they did a group buy on teh XR forum and got a decent discount

I would recommend a RoadLok.

I currently have a simple Oxford disc lock, but I intent to purchase a RoadLok simply for the added practicality they offer

http://roadlok.com

Totally agree, I've got a Roadlok on the XR and on the RR. they work a treat and if you forget and try to ride off the front wheel won't turn at all and you simply stall. Also the pin you use is small and fits easily in a pocket. They aren't cheap but are very nicely made.

I see in the link they are a US company. Is there a UK distribution? Which one did you order for the RR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No UK distributor that I know of. I ordered direct from the USA and its the XRA Eurosport - BMW one. I can only assume that the holes in BMW discs are different size to standard and the pin is a BMW specific diameter. Roadloks work a treat as there is only the pin to store when you are riding which easily fits in a pocket. When you fit the pin simply roll the bike an inch or so and the sprung end of the pin snicks into a hole in the disc and its nice and secure.

I see in the link they are a US company. Is there a UK distribution? Which one did you order for the RR?

The Roadlok sounds like a good idea, but from the photos it it looks like it could be defeated by an Allen key to unbolt it from the caliper. Am I missing something?

The Roadlok sounds like a good idea, but from the photos it it looks like it could be defeated by an Allen key to unbolt it from the caliper. Am I missing something?

I had the same thought last year when this was discussed before.

Even if you removed the mounting bolts, I assume it wouldn't get past the fork leg itself?

But I also assume, if a thief is THAT desperate or informed they'll be having it away one way or another....

The way it works is there is a locking pin that goes through one of the holes in your brake disc. The lock body is permanently attached to your calliper and you carry the locking pin in your pocket or under the seat for when you park and want to secure your bike.. If someone undid the allen bolts you would have a loose brake calliper but the Roadlok would still be secured through the brake disc. I dare say someone with an angle grinder could remove it but the same is true of any other lock, chain, disc lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ that's what I thought. I was negative last year about it, but tbh it seems very convenient especially for commuter folk.

I've got them fitted to both bikes so I just carry one pin in my jacket pocket and it fits either bike. No need to take up under seat storage (and there isn't much on an RR)
^^ that's what I thought. I was negative last year about it, but tbh it seems very convenient especially for commuter folk.

Hi I have been using Roadlok for two years now and you can see my review on a previous thread. Regarding U.K. support it is excellent and contactable [email protected] (Ian McCarthy) . I had a slight issue with the locking pin getting a little sticky and difficult to remove. Ian responded with a detailed email within 24 hours about how to clean and lubricate it with graphite powder. First class product and service.
In relation to the main benefit over a disc lock is that as its permanently attached to the bike so you just carry the locking pin and therefore you will use it more. Also you don’t wash to crash with a disc lock in your pockets as it could do some serious internal damage.

Hi I have been using Roadlok for two years now and you can see my review on a previous thread. Regarding U.K. support it is excellent and contactable [email protected] (Ian McCarthy) . I had a slight issue with the locking pin getting a little sticky and difficult to remove. Ian responded with a detailed email within 24 hours about how to clean and lubricate it with graphite powder. First class product and service.
In relation to the main benefit over a disc lock is that as its permanently attached to the bike so you just carry the locking pin and therefore you will use it more. Also you don?t wash to crash with a disc lock in your pockets as it could do some serious internal damage.

I?ve just emailed Ian to see if he can offer the group a discount if anyone?s interested?

Back